When you think about it, DC was pretty close to winning.

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
All he had to do is a provide a LITTLE more output in round 1 and 3 I believe. Because those rounds were pretty close. As a matter of fact, DC could be given 2 rounds and it wouldn't be a robbery. Some people had it 48:47.
But it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth, still. Because Jon was the better fighter overall. DC COULD squeek out 3 first rounds by a little margin and then lose quite clearly the last 2 rounds. But it wouldn't be what I wanna see from the new champion.

Jones was talking a bit out of his ass I think when he said that he was letting DC punch him so that he punches himself out. Riight, he gave him the round for free ;)

So, best thing is, DC can still win the fight in the rematch, all he needs to do is to go full blast for the first 3 rounds, and then try to survive the last 2, when he is gassed.
Because all I saw from this fight was that Jones had more grit and determination. And he took DC's soul a bit when he took him down with those doubles.

I agree that he def could have squeaked a win out of it, but in the end the better fighter won. I gave round 2 and 3 to DC myself, and without re-watching if he had done more in the first he very well could be champ right now. He faded too much in 4 or 5 though, and did unfortunately deserve to get the loss. DC will be back though, and I will root for him once again if he gets a rematch down the road.

if jj didn't land those two easy takedowns, maybe

I agree that he def could have squeaked a win out of it, but in the end the better fighter won. I gave round 2 and 3 to DC myself, and without re-watching if he had done more in the first he very well could be champ right now. He faded too much in 4 or 5 though, and did unfortunately deserve to get the loss. DC will be back though, and I will root for him once again if he gets a rematch down the road.

I agree.

he came really fucking close. I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch. It just sucks that he has to get pelted with body shots and kicks from all angles to get ahold of jones...to me if he has to go through all that,he has to get him to the ground way earlier. He cant just take that abuse for as long as he did. The guys a tank though.

I believe they will fight again.
Jones did a great job working the body and it caught up to DC in the later rounds.

Nobody was dominated that's for sure.

Agree with this.

That was really the major tipping point of the fight. Up till then, it was VERY competitive.

Competitive with Jones still winning.

And yeah lets all just pretend that if Jones was down 3 rounds to 0 that somehow magically the fight would have still played out exactly the same for the last 2 rounds. Jones haters getting desperate now.

When you really think about it, he still lost 4 rounds to Jones.

And if you really think about it, if your mother had testicles she would be your father.

He wilted in 4th round, when he really had to pick it up.

Shame, because until that, it was indeed really close.

When you really think about it, he still lost 4 rounds to Jones.

And if you really think about it, if your mother had testicles she would be your father.

For the most part I don't think anybody is disagreeing that the right fighter won, but it was in my opinion closer than what many people are making it out to be.

48-47 Jones imo.

Had DC been like Lawler rather than Hendricks in the 5th Sherdog may have had another Jones/Gus bitch fit.

Competitive with Jones still winning.

And yeah lets all just pretend that if Jones was down 3 rounds to 0 that somehow magically the fight would have still played out exactly the same for the last 2 rounds. Jones haters getting desperate now.
Its not hating, son, its 20/20. Dc didn't do as bad as fan dick suckers claim he did. Wouldn't had taken much more to win whereas jones appeared to be doing his best.

Ok then, what if the fight was only a 2 rounder, then it would have been a draw.

I was not rooting for DC but I thought going into round 5 it could have been 2-2 (but more likely 3-1 jones)

DC gave up in 4&5. Body shots+ fighting the bigger man wore him out.

DC got a lot of praise for his gas tank but I had my doubts.

It is one thing to have great cardio in a fight you are winning, but another to have great cardio in a dog fight where you are clinching and taking body shots and getting pinched and kicked in the head.

Jones, amazingly because it is on top of a perfect body for fighting and creativity and athleticism, also has championship cardio, like Matt brown cardio where even in a fight where he takes punishment he can outwork his opponents in the end of the fight.

That is a hell of a tool to have and something that will make it all the more difficult for anyone to take the belt from Jon, who is only 27 and has his hardest tests at 205 already as wins on his record.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda never did shit

All he had to do is a provide a LITTLE more output in round 1 and 3 I believe. Because those rounds were pretty close. As a matter of fact, DC could be given 2 rounds and it wouldn't be a robbery. Some people had it 48:47.
But it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth, still. Because Jon was the better fighter overall. DC COULD squeek out 3 first rounds by a little margin and then lose quite clearly the last 2 rounds. But it wouldn't be what I wanna see from the new champion.

Jones was talking a bit out of his ass I think when he said that he was letting DC punch him so that he punches himself out. Riight, he gave him the round for free ;)

So, best thing is, DC can still win the fight in the rematch, all he needs to do is to go full blast for the first 3 rounds, and then try to survive the last 2, when he is gassed.
Because all I saw from this fight was that Jones had more grit and determination. And he took DC's soul a bit when he took him down with those doubles.

rd 2 for DC and that

he came really fucking close. I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch. It just sucks that he has to get pelted with body shots and kicks from all angles to get ahold of jones...to me if he has to go through all that,he has to get him to the ground way earlier. He cant just take that abuse for as long as he did. The guys a tank though.

My question: if there's a rematch, what does DC need to do differently? DC looked like he had a real shot to end the fight with strikes while his wrestling obviously was not effective against Jones. So in a rematch does he look to stand and strike with JJ, even tho on paper that doesn't seem like a good strategy against a taller striking expert?

Back