When you think about it, DC was pretty close to winning.

Its not hating, son, its 20/20. Dc didn't do as bad as fan dick suckers claim he did. Wouldn't had taken much more to win whereas jones appeared to be doing his best.

I'm sorry, is your ridiculous post supposed to imply that DC was somehow not doing his best?

he fought an inspired first two rounds. and i don't think he gassed, i think the shots jones landed are what slowed him down so props to bones for catching up to him.

was a pretty damn good title fight.

I thought Daniel abandoned the wrestling/attempted takedown way too early. He didn't put a big emphasis on it until the 5th round.

My question: if there's a rematch, what does DC need to do differently? DC looked like he had a real shot to end the fight with strikes while his wrestling obviously was not effective against Jones. So in a rematch does he look to stand and strike with JJ, even tho on paper that doesn't seem like a good strategy against a taller striking expert?

He has to take him down way earlier. He didnt because he probably knew jones was so ready for it early on,and wanted to wear him down in the clinch. All his takedown attempts seem to come towards the end when he was too tired to do it. He needs to be able to take jones down and give him a bashing before he runs out of gas.

It wasn't a terrible performance, but I think he could've done better.

He was giving away underhooks way too easily. And when he had double unders, he would just stand there like he was drawing a blank while Jones just sat his hips back. I mean seriously dude, you are an olympic wrestler and all Jones had to do to nullify your takedown was to sit his hips back? No shucking to try to get to the back? No attempt to push it to the cage?

I think a major problem is that Jones didn't do much of anything that he typically does. So DC had a more reactionary game plan instead of a gameplan designed to impose his own will. Jones was circling way more than he usually does. Jones was much lighter on his feet than usual.

I'll have to rewatch the fight, but I could tell that Cormier seemed a bit lost after a while. Jones never fell into his game plan. And that's the problem. The expectation was for Jones to fall into his gameplan instead of Cormier forcing his gameplan on Jones.

I honestly expected Cormier to dominate the clinches. But Jones made Cormier look silly with very simple tactics.

Major props to Jones. Jones has proven that he can adapt and switch strategies mid fight. Cormier showed that he has no plan b.

gustafson won round 1 2 an 3 and still lost the fight. in a 5 round fight the thing that apparently matters most is how strong you finish the last round. lawler hendricks is a good example jones vs gustafson is another.

I gave him round 2 and 3, was really disappointed when he looked gassed in round 4.

He has to take him down way earlier. He didnt because he probably knew jones was so ready for it early on,and wanted to wear him down in the clinch. All his takedown attempts seem to come towards the end when he was too tired to do it. He needs to be able to take jones down and give him a bashing before he runs out of gas.

I am not sold on the idea that DC can take Jones down "early".
I think DC knew his best chances for TD's were later when he "hoped" Jon would slow down and tire enough to be taken down.
Personally I think DC's best chance against Jon would be to come out guns blazing and hope to connect in the 1st 2 rounds before he gasses himself out.
It looks like he tried that to a limited extent and it didn't work, he went to plan B and that also did not work.

Yup. He made a half hearted attempt early on but completely abandoned it throughout most of the fight. With all the clinching that was going on, he should have focused on the takedown early and often. We know he can take jones down. Hell, he did it in the 5th while being tired - even slamming Jones.

He had the right gameplan to get inside and was successful with the dirty boxing, but he should have focused more on wrestling.

My question: if there's a rematch, what does DC need to do differently? DC looked like he had a real shot to end the fight with strikes while his wrestling obviously was not effective against Jones. So in a rematch does he look to stand and strike with JJ, even tho on paper that doesn't seem like a good strategy against a taller striking expert?

He needs to train wrestling with taller guys. He needs to learn how to time and set up his take downs. He needs to learn how to cut off the cage to stop Jones from circling away. He needs to work on back up plans in the clinch. I don't think he will ever win a stand up game plan. His best asset is his grappling and he didn't take the right steps to employ that game plan.

I

he may not,but thats how i see him having his best chance of winning

that was the worst part of the fight for me is when daniel slamed jones,and didnt have the strength to get on top or at least grab a hold him when he easily got back to his feet.

i wouldn't say he was pretty close.

better to say he showed he belonged in there with jones. the jones was clearly the better fighter, and not by a small margin.

Really? Why is that?

Oh, is it because he wanted to and couldn't?

Hmm, now that I think of it, I'm not sold on the idea either.

Thanks for making me not sold.

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought about it that way. I guess I had assumed that DC just couldn't get past JJ's TDD, but makes sense that he wouldn't be able to so late in the fight after slowing down (whether due to gas or those body shots). Would love to see what happens if he drove hard for the TD early in the fight.

I was very surprised that he didn't come away with more of the close rounds. And now people are acting as if it were a blow out

Really? Why is that?

Oh, is it because he wanted to and couldn't?

Hmm, now that I think of it, I'm not sold on the idea either.

Thanks for making me not sold.

agreed, everyone kept posting about DC slamming Josh and Hendo assuming he "could" do the same to Skinny Bones.

So you make some fantasy changes that favor DC, now think he could win w/ those changes so that means the fight was close. That's funny.

Bones beat DC convincingly, no controversy, doing it by challenging DC where DC is strongest, clinch and wrestling.

DC just went from Black Fedor to Carlton Wang. Biggest hype train to crash in a long time.

I think DC's probably an ok guy and tbh a part of me feels kinda sad for him. That was a humiliating defeat for him and Jones hasn't buried the hatchet yet it seems.

Competitive with Jones still winning.

And yeah lets all just pretend that if Jones was down 3 rounds to 0 that somehow magically the fight would have still played out exactly the same for the last 2 rounds. Jones haters getting desperate now.

Nobody is saying that. We are speculating. Stop hating on the haters and just keep mixing the soup.

When you really think about it, he still lost 4 rounds to Jones.

And if you really think about it, if your mother had testicles she would be your father.

People who have Jones in the avatar don't count. Their opinion. Just think about it ;)

Back