When working out, should we be angry or calm?

Tell that to the original Olympic champions who trained under Ivan Abadjiev.

Boevski was half asleep before he easily squatted 550. And the dude was like 160 pounds.

Same thing with Idalberto Aranda when he did his 639 pound squat. lol

I'm not saying they're not good athletes.
I'm saying they're NPCs.

You can be focused in either state. Everyone is different. Exercise is good stress relief but I don't find it feels better or more effective if my headspace is somewhere negative like being angry.

You will burn yourself out if you are hyped for every session. It is supposed to be a stress relief but you have to contain yourself or bad things will happen.
Not necessarily. There is also the argument that higher level of arousal produces greater results. Blaine Sumner said during an interview that he would not have been able to achieve big numbers by training calmly. For most weekend warrior lifters like poker, training at a low level of arousal will be optimal for long term results. But there are lifters like Konstantinov and Sumner that have been very successful being "hyped" up during their training.

Not necessarily. There is also the argument that higher level of arousal produces greater results. Blaine Sumner said during an interview that he would not have been able to achieve big numbers by training calmly. For most weekend warrior lifters like poker, training at a low level of arousal will be optimal for long term results. But there are lifters like Konstantinov and Sumner that have been very successful being "hyped" up during their training.
The exceptions do not prove the rule. You are not Konstantivov or Blaine sumner drew.

I meant it can be more individualistic. Also, you train calmly and you have average/below average strength...
So do you Drew. Ive lifted everything you have lifted before according to your training logs other than the deadlift.

So do you Drew. Ive lifted everything you have lifted before according to your training logs other than the deadlift.
I seem to remember a shaky 405 squat and a t&g 275 bench. Besides gym lifts are different than meet lifts anyways.

I seem to remember a shaky 405 squat and a t&g 275 bench. Besides gym lifts are different than meet lifts anyways.
Yea it's so scary to pay somebody a registration fee to go squat in front of judges. Such an anxiety provoking event it is. Two completely different things to walk up to a bar squat up and down in your gym vs in a meet.

Yea it's so scary to pay somebody a registration fee to go squat in front of judges. Such an anxiety provoking event it is. Two completely different things to walk up to a bar squat up and down in your gym vs in a meet.
Try sitting in a car and driving 8+ hours to a meet, cutting weight, sleeping like shit in a hotel, waking up/lifting early in a meet, trying set pb's in every lift, and lifting to strict standards (depending on fed). I've done 25+ meets, and it's always a stressful competing until you get your first squat in. Also, I've seen lifters hit big numbers in the gym, and then go to meets and completely fall apart. They either can't lift to comp standards or they mentally crumble. So yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Try sitting in a car and driving 8+ hours to a meet, cutting weight, sleeping like shit in a hotel, waking up/lifting early in a meet, trying set pb's in every lift, and lifting to strict standards (depending on fed). I've done 25+ meets, and it's always a stressful competing until you get your first squat in. Also, I've seen lifters hit big numbers in the gym, and then go to meets and completely fall apart. They either can't lift to comp standards or they mentally fall apart. So yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about.
I would have to question why somebody at your level would cut weight at all first of all. Yea we all make sacrifices for our hobbies. The USAPL meet I signed up for years ago I was set to do 2 days before it my house flooded. We've all got our sob stories so yea I think I do know what im talking about so go whine to somebody else drew. You could have just squat on social media, posted the video if you wanted people to see you lift and the people that cared at all about it would have likely enjoyed it all the same.

I would have to question why somebody at your level would cut weight at all first of all. Yea we all make sacrifices for our hobbies. The USAPL meet I signed up for years ago I was set to do 2 days before it my house flooded. We've all got our sob stories so yea I think I do know what im talking about so go whine to somebody else drew. You could have just squat on social media, posted the video if you wanted people to see you lift and the people that cared at all about it would have likely enjoyed it all the same.
It's not whining. I'm trying to explain to you the differences between gym lifts and competition lifts. It seems to go over your head though.

It's not whining. I'm trying to explain to you the differences between gym lifts and competition lifts. It seems to go over your head though.
Nothing is over my head. You aren't actually here to help anybody you are here to pick a fight so I will entertain you. All that crap you whined about makes no difference to what I said. All of the extracurricular crap about hotels and cutting weight makes no difference. A guy that squats 600 in the gym had to do what they had to do to squat 600 whether it was in a meet that you paid to do or not. Whether they did it in competition or not does not matter either because if they actually cared to squat it at a meet than they would do whatever is necessary to squat it at the meet just like they would for a gym lift. At the end of the day did they walk up to the bar and squat it or not? Whether they paid people to squat in their meet or not?

Whether they did it in competition or not does not matter either because if they actually cared to squat it at a meet than they would do whatever is necessary to squat it at the meet just like they would for a gym lift.
No comprende

This is super dumb, even for you. Meet lifting and gym lifting are different.

I would get a little extra dialled in and focused for my heavy sets back when I was strong, but it wasn't really angry.

Also, I always took the mindset that my training and preparation would allow me to hit my desired heavy singles, so there was no reason to fail them if I executed properly. For the meet where I squatted 305 kg, I did my whole meet prep cycle training for 310 kg, so why would I miss 305 kg?

Nowadays, I'm always pretty chill. I train for fun, have my all my sets programmed, no need to stress about them.

Back