• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When was the UFC the worst, according to you?

tuckermaclain

Rust Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
In the early days, after Royce stopped fighting, things got predictably boring. Juicing wrestlers, starting with Severn, Frye, and Coleman, turned it into a grappler-fest with head-butts. It was like a single, 30 minute round with a grappler taking somebody down and being a wet blanket. It was horrid to watch. I remember Severn taking down Tank and pounding him for 30 minutes and there was no bleeding, no KO. They hit like wrestlers. It started out so fun to see, then wrestlers made it a dry-hump fest. Now, watching a wrestler get KO’d is a great pleasure.

Last edited:
In the early days, after Royce stopped fighting, things got predictably boring. Juicing wrestlers, starting with Severn, Frye, and Coleman, turned it into a grappler-fest with head-butts. It was like a single, 30 minute round with a grappler taking somebody down and being a wet blanket. It was horrid to watch. I remember Severn taking down Tank and pounding him for 30 minutes and there was no bleeding, no KO. They hit like wrestlers. It started out so fun to see, then wrestlers made it a dry-hump fest. Now, watching a wrestler get KO’d is a great pleasure.
When this guy gets involed, we are all in trouble. Just think, he convinced families that flying to Orlando, waiting on 3 hour lines to go on rides in 90 degree heat while paying outrageous prices is family entertainment. Just wait to see how he helps the UFC "grow" their business further. He was worse for Star Wars than Bill Cosby was for young actresses. I don't even want to mention his politics since that's a different can of worms...........
upload_2021-6-6_5-40-44.jpeg

As a fan for 20 odd years, I’d say right now. I still love the sport but we’ve had a wave of great fighters all retire (or badly need to) within the past 5 years or so. ESPN+ kinda sucks. Seems like we get one great card between 2-3 thin cards. Combat sports in general area being overshadowed by Paul brothers. Jones isn’t coming back. Or maybe he will.

it’s not a bad period of MMA, but it’s not quite as intriguing right now, for me anyway. It will bounce back within a year or so.

I dont know,maybe when it was pulled from PPV?

I thought some of the no time limit stuff where the guys circled each other for 15 minutes sucked ass,as well...but other than it being pulled from ppv i dont think a "period" was so bad that I thought MMA was dying or that I ever wanted to stop watching it.

now. the last time i was interested was diaz/silva

I’ve started watching in 2015 and so far it’s been rising in quality for me personally, I thought 2020 was the high point for the UFC within the last 6 years despite the pandemic they put some amazing fights and shows.

However, our favourite fighters or the ones that are the most entertaining are leaving the sport and the rate is bigger than new exciting lions taking their place. Khabib just left, Conor will leave soon (1-2 years imo), Jones is basically nearly retired, I suspect Usman is also not going to be here in 2 years.

And in their place we don’t get exciting guys, like I’m not particularly excited with the idea of Oliveira being the champ, he just isn’t as interesting as Khabib imo.

The freakshow NHB factor of the early UFC's was fun. They started to sanitise it just as it got banned, and some fighters left. That was probably the low point... 1997-2000. Early Zuffa events are dated as fuck too, so 2001-2005ish period isn't much better.

Right now

I hate this watered down shitty covid era

I never used to miss a card. Now I catch one here and there and download the rest.

There is too much fodder these days. Guys that are basically still trying out for the main cards ... WMMA? The title fights and like a few others genuinely interest me..

Make the cards shorter. Scout in the minors and have 10 - 12 banging cards a year.

I will also add I am a big fan of DWTNCS. I watch that and look forward to it more than 75% of the cards now.

It's in the worst state that it has ever been at all. It's just a mess.

The human blanket wrestle-fuck era of aughts was the worst when it came to the actual fighting, but everything else is worse now. Bland corporate production and a bunch of utterly forgettable here-today-gone-later-today fighters who no one but their friends and family care about. Add to that WMMA and woke bullshit.

I think after the Strikeforce takeover UFC could confidently say they had all the best fighters in the world and many legends where still going strong. But the last 5 years most of the greatest have left and UFC is cutting costs by litter all cards with cans while there are a bunch of world class fighters in other promotions that we don't get to see fight the elite in the UFC. This UFC era sucks. Maybe 1 or 2 good fights a card but most are unskilled no named brawlers that fight for minimum wages. ACA, Bellator and One is for the most part more interesting to be honest.

Everyone on here is gonna give the answer of right now because they’re nostalgic for specific eras.
Exactly. You ask this question 5 yrs ago they always hate the current era,and wished it was better before the sport blew up or some shit. Its never the current era. Me? I am a lifer,and i look to the current and the future. When i got into this shit no one liked it,it never got any respect,and it was hard to satisfy the fix. Now its everywhere,and i fuckin love that and NEVER want it to go back to the way it was.

Back