When was the last time this nation was so divided?

What is particularly sad is that Obama brought us all together like perhaps no President ever. Then this clown tears us all apart, setting us back to Civil War levels of divide

The 60's probably.

No way, if we're talking about partisan lines.

The parties today are farther apart than they have ever been. In the 1960s, the Democrats and Republicans probably the most similar that the two major parties have been in US history.

Yeah it’s becoming a bit crazy. A lot of it is fueled through social media outlets unfortunately.

Honestly I don't think it's social media. It's the 24 hours news cycle.
They have to keep you hooked 24/7 so everything has to be a scandal or a catastrophe. It makes some people into rageaholics since they watch bullshit on CNN that makes them angry all day and then that carries over into the rest of their lives.

I've actually had productive discussions on Facebook about politics about things like gun control.

In fact, Sherdog is far worse than Facebook for politics because you actually know the people on Facebook. You will run I to them again irl so you don't get a lot of the absurdly childish name calling you get on here from some people. Because they don't want to get smacked.

The parties today are farther apart than they have ever been. In the 1960s, the Democrats and Republicans probably the most similar that the two major parties have been in US history.
eh, I think the movement of the 60s was bigger. The civil rights, war in vietnam, Kent State..... Real issues.

If you live on social media the entire world is divided and about to end.

The fall of communism and the rise of talk radio late 80's and early 90's is a large part of how we got to this point in our politics

I've been in the US for over 20 years and I've never seen this country so divided. People disagreed with each other, but the level of hostility against the other side is something I haven't seen ever. Friends and family are broken up because of politics to an extent I've never seen before. Is it because of the internet and social media where people who didn't care about politics are forced into it via social sites like Facebook?

i've heard in the wr that it was all obama who caused this.

in reality, it is social media's fault. fake pictures are going around as we speak of the parkland survivor's tearing up the constitution lol.

for profit news plays a role as well. news for consumers. give the consumers what they want. what most of us want, are strawman arguments that make the other side look like crooked fools, while ignoring their reasonable and rational arguments that do exist.

What is particularly sad is that Obama brought us all together like perhaps no President ever. Then this clown tears us all apart, setting us back to Civil War levels of divide
<Dany07>

PP_16.04.26_polarization.gif

american_political_separation-600x444.png

Pew Data.

Because everything is upside down and backwards. We get our entertainment from the news and our news from entertainers.

The 60's probably.
This is a great answer. The only difference between then and now is the scope of these movements. The 60's hippies were a vocal minority, whereas the majority of the country was much more moderate. But the conflicts between these groups was much larger, such as the burning of draft cards, Kent State, race riots, etc. Now, the left is much bigger, so the potential for conflict is much higher and the tension is correspondingly high, but the actual conflict is much smaller.

Back