I hate to say it but life was so much better when the only news source was mainstream media

Claiming Clinton is, and I quote, "a reasonable and thoughtful politician and former diplomat". <45>
She's known as Killary and Hitlery for good reason, she earned those names through her words & actions.
What words and actions of hers are you speaking of?

Yeah, sure. Because they were all united and compromised… then lied to everyone with no one independent to push back

I’m sure everyone feels the same in China where there’s only one official news source

Oh… and lol at the leftist shills liking the OP. Not surprised they’d enjoy the idea of a state run media
China is an authoritarian shit hole. There's a difference between state funded and state run, BBC, and CBC being examples of state funded. Both skew slightly center left, which coincidentally is where most citizens align as well.

This stuff has been around forever.

il_570xN.5308937039_5x89.jpg

What words and actions of hers are you speaking of?

In my experience, people always dance around that. On the one hand, they want to buy into crazy theories about Clinton murdering people or wearing masks made of real faces to scare kids, but on the other, they know that if they say it, they sound crazy.

I do miss the days of using facts in an arguement and not argueing about where your facts come from

I think I can summarise TS' argument by letting you all know Disney stock is actually up 15% and hasn't dipped at all.

In my experience, people always dance around that. On the one hand, they want to buy into crazy theories about Clinton murdering people or wearing masks made of real faces to scare kids, but on the other, they know that if they say it, they sound crazy.
His post is rather amusing as it is proof of the argument being made in that article.

I think it's asking way too much of anyone to sift through original sources and try to find the right answer about every issue of importance (and to identify what important issues are). It's better to develop the meta skill of finding out what to trust and to what extent you should trust it, as well as avoiding fooling yourself with confirmation bias or other thinking errors.

A lot of people here just can't say, "there are some things in there I disagree with." And it's not like that guy really thinks through anything anyway. It's more "that piece seems tribally misaligned with me but it's over my head so I'm just going to childishly lash out." Happens here all the time too.
Oh I totally agree. That's supposed to be whole point of an elected official. The average citizen can't look into everything so we place someone in power whom we trust to make the right decisions. But things kinda break down when you can't do that.

I remember having an argument with someone on here about this very point. His argument was you can never trust anyone and need to look into everything yourself. Ideally, sure but it can't work in practice. I can't be busy figuring out if some safety regulation for some bridge is a cash grab or a worthwhile investment when I've got a 9-5 and a family to look after.

I hate to admit it but it's true, life was so much better when people could basically only get the news by reading the paper, watching network or cable news, or listening to the radio. There were way fewer people who believed batshit crazy things when the only news sources were mainstream. Now almost everyone I encounter will have some weird ass conspiracy they believe in. Case in point: my mom believes that the real purpose of Elon Musk's neuralink device will be to serve as a government surveillance tool that will allow it to read your thoughts and generate a social score for each individual. I told her it was bullshit so she sent me a link on Facebook to some wild ass conspiracy group and it just blew my mind that she couldn't come to the conclusion that it was fake news. Something's gotta change.

Sure, lets ban news outlets you don't like because you have ideological bias.

The internet was the deletion of societal filters. Everything was immediately accessible in the marketplace, generally without much vetting.

Previous order and transmission provided built-in elements of filtration which no longer exist. The result is the chaos you see before you.

What do you recommend people read?

The issue is that more people are wildly misinformed. Not to exaggerate it, though. Breitbart-type stuff has been around for a while, and way before there was Tucker or Greenwald, you had Father Coughlin.

I posted this before:

That stuff is more visible to the mainstream and I think a lot more common now, but it's a change in degree rather than something new.

Beyond Politics: The Roots of Government Failure by Randy Simmons

Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman

The Constitution of Liberty by F. A. Hayek

The Libertarian Mind by David Boaz

For starters.

Beyond Politics: The Roots of Government Failure by Randy Simmons

Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman

The Constitution of Liberty by F. A. Hayek

The Libertarian Mind by David Boaz

For starters.
I've read the first and other stuff by Hayek, but in terms of current events type stuff, what do you recommend?

Find a reliable independent news source and stick to it

Back