When the dust settles - UFC image damage?

JAEGERX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
fDzM81OYrNjJC.gif

In the scenario where Jon Jones keeps the belt and comes back to the UFC schedule after being in "rehab" :icon_neut, how does UFC PR deals with the press of having its top fighter suffer no consequences for his use of illegal drugs? the damage control seems to be very light, and as some have pointed out, Nick Diaz got shafted hard for weed and he even had a medical authorization for it.

Last edited:
Sure won't endear them to FOX.

UFC will appoint CM Punk as Jon Jones full time life coach. Everything will be fine.

Just when you think UFC's image couldn't get any worse then Lohan behold

4-6 weeks in rehab. Public awareness campaign for Bones to complete. End of cocaine drama

They sign terrible scumbags all the time, Vegas doesn't care what dirt you have.

Also...
Fans won't care/will forgive easily when JBJ wins his next fight.
Haters are already going to keep hating at this point.

No minds will change toward MMA as a sport, UFC as an organization, or Jones himself as a fighter.

Athletes get popped for coke quite frequently in all professional sports. People move on.

When Jones tested positive for coke he crossed a line that he can never return from, his rep will never be the same bro.

fDzM81OYrNjJC.gif

The UFC is at a crossroads. Dana has to decide whether or not he truly wants his brand of MMA to be mainstream or a fringe sport. All major league sports have a drug policy. If Dana released Wil Chope due to past domestic abuse but does nothing to Jones, he will definitely be hurting the brand.

I am not saying that Jones can't return to the octagon, but rehab is not a consequence. Dana has to hold his champions to a high standard. The fans and detractors are watching this situation very closely.

The UFC is at a crossroads. Dana has to decide whether or not he truly wants his brand of MMA to be mainstream or a fringe sport. All major league sports have a drug policy. If Dana released Wil Chope due to past domestic abuse but does nothing to Jones, he will definitely be hurting the brand.

I am not saying that Jones can't return to the octagon, but rehab is not a consequence. Dana has to hold his champions to a high standard. The fans and detractors are watching this situation very closely.

Yep, he cant let this slide and the same time keep saying that bullshit about UFC being on the NFL level, as far as i know if you play football and you get busted for coke you get fired

If you're military it's end of career on the first offense. Period. DoD policy. You forfeit whatever rank you have and all pay and retirement.

I put an E7 with 19 years service on the street. No choice. You get popped for coke, you're done. Saw many others go down in flames over the years.

Most regular people with real jobs (not college age children who see drugs at parties all the time) understand that and get it. If you don't, I kind of feel sorry for you.

Jones should face the music, out of competition test or not. If Dana doesn't do something, it will only make the UFC look like more of a joke than it already is. So Dana will probably do nothing.

Yep, he cant let this slide and the same time keep saying that bullshit about UFC being on the NFL level, as far as i know if you play football and you get busted for coke you get fired

I'm sure Dana has or is going to receive a lot of pressure from the sponsors, FOX sports, and Reebok to hold Jones accountable. I believe he should be stripped of the title and levied a one-year suspension. Upon return he should have to submit to a random testing program for at least a year. Even the WWE has a "wellness program". If Dana doesn't want it said that a fake sport is more serious about this than he is he will have to take action.

I think he should be stripped for sure. Gus and Rumble suddenly becomes a title fight.

If you're military it's end of career on the first offense. Period. DoD policy. You forfeit whatever rank you have and all pay and retirement.

I put an E7 with 19 years service on the street. No choice. You get popped for coke, you're done. Saw many others go down in flames over the years.

Most regular people with real jobs (not college age children who see drugs at parties all the time) understand that and get it. If you don't, I kind of feel sorry for you.

Jones should face the music, out of competition test or not. If Dana doesn't do something, it will only make the UFC look like more of a joke than it already is. So Dana will probably do nothing.

QFT. Coming up on 23 years in, and I have seen many Sailors of all ranks, Officer and Enlisted, demoted and discharged for drugs.

Back