1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

When the dust settles - UFC image damage?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JAEGERX, Jan 6, 2015.

1. JAEGERX Gold Belt

Yes, this along the lawsuit, man if the Fertitas wanted to protect their company they should bench Dana, bring another guy in and start cracking a whip at all shit thats happening.

i think a one year suspension is good and tests are ok also, the UFC cannot afford to jsut cut lose Jones out cold, but at the same time i think firing Jones is the best decision for the image of the UFC in the long run

2. MarcCA Brought to you by Reebok®

UFC is ruined... Seriously.
    Parents will not take their children to the events anymore, many wont let they watch it. As Jones said, he used to be a "role model" to children, but now its a very bad one.

UFC is dead.

3. gladiator40 Orange Belt

Guys fighting in a cage ..... Image problem??

4. JAEGERX Gold Belt

you need image to sell it

5. gspieler Silver Belt

Pretty much this. They'll probably even play up the "he's dealt with some personal issues, but is a changed man" angle, complete with Jon thanking Jesus, telling us that family and spirituality are the only important things in life, etc. People seem to forget how easily public perception is changed, or forgotten altogether. Chael was convicted of a felony, pissed hot/lied about it, and less than a year later was back being the UFC poster boy(headlining cards, doing commentary, etc.).

6. gladiator40 Orange Belt

You need Jones to sell it.

7. later days done

this is the last straw

8. JAEGERX Gold Belt

yeah but he is knee deep in pure colombian's finest

9. Navy_Chief Black Belt

Depends if you consider MMA a legitimate, regulated sporting contest, or a glorified toughman contest. Are UFC fighters well trained professionals or thugs? What happens next will kind of set the standard.

10. gladiator40 Orange Belt

Last I heard he is in rehab

11. darticus Green Belt

I think he should be stripped for sure. Gus and Rumble suddenly becomes a title fight.

12. ScarfaceJr All praise honor & glory to the most High

I just noticed the title of this thread is "When the dust settles."

I'm sorry I know this is a srs topic, but how unexpected this is, along with the reactions and shoops just make this hilarious.

To be on topic though, if UFC wants to be taken seriously Jones should face serius repercussions for his actions.

13. Frank Edgar Purple Belt

Honestly the only problem is that he got caught. Liddell was also rumored to do cocaine and admitted himself that he was a big womanizer.

I think the UFC really needs to set an example and save face with the media by stripping Jones of the title and suspending him.

They won't though because they probably knew of the test results before the DC fight yet did nothing so that the PPV could still happen. So if they punish him now they will look very bad anyway.

14. Navy_Chief Black Belt

I've gone back and forth on the UFC allowing the fight to happen. The results were reported on the 23rd. The fall out from pulling the fight would have been huge. Dana was really stuck between a rock and a hard place. It would have been easier if Cormier had won, but if Dana takes the high road now, he could salvage the situation.

15. Frank23 Enter Sandman Belt Platinum Member

I don't think so.

16. pv3Hpv3p Black Belt

Meh...

You got the NFL champions from last year getting popped with banned substances left and right, and the NFL did just fine... For christsake, they have taken murderers back into the fold on more than one occasion (ie: Ray Lewis, Leonard Little, etc)... Not to mention a dog fighting/murdering ring and a brutal serial rapist (granted, the info on Sharper came out after he was out of the league)

NBA doesn't even bother with drug testing because they can guess what the results would be...

MLB is/was rampant with steroid use

This is something that will bother some hardcore fans and provide fuel to hate for others (mostly based on how hypocritical Jones comes across)...

But in the end no-one's really going to give a shit, just like all the rest... Most folks don't bother knit picking through people's lives and feigning outrage from a perceived moral high ground, they just want to shut off and be entertained from a few hours.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but just that it is what it is.

17. gladiator40 Orange Belt

Great post .

18. Navy_Chief Black Belt

The outrage over the Ray Rice incident may have changed how these type of offenses are perceived.

19. pv3Hpv3p Black Belt

Thanks... I think... My sarcasm detector might be on the fritz

20. JAEGERX Gold Belt

Yes i know what you're saying but, but can the UFC do it?, the NFL and NBA are team based, alot of teams everywhere in America, and each of them are huge companies, the UFC has a roster of completly individualized fighters that all appeal to the same fan base to either hate or like, can the UFC get away with something as huge as the NFL and the MLB can do?