When the dust settles - UFC image damage?

Won't help it for sure, but no, it won't make any difference to it in its present form.

The outrage over the Ray Rice incident may have changed how these type of offenses are perceived.

Even after that... First the NFL did the worst of things and tried to cover it up, or at least sweep it under the rug (2 games, claiming they'd never seen the video, lol)

Then Rice won his appeal and was reinstated in the league! Granted it doesn't seem like anyone will touch him, as of yet...

I think with social media and the fact that everyone has a camera and instant access to the internet does raise the awareness... But in the end, IMO, it just doesn't matter to a lot of people.

I live in MN, and people birch and moan about Peterson being suspended for the year... Not because they are making dinner sorry of stand for or against child abuse, but because they wonder how the rookie QB would have looked worth a legit running game... Or if we coulda snuck into the playoffs... All memories of a poor 4 yo kid with scars on his goddamn testicles forgotten, and people birch that the league is "screwing us again"

And I have to say, and I'm not trying to argue with you: that drug offenses should not be held in the same regard as someone who beats their spouse or somehow directly causes harm to others. The bullshit war on drugs that has turned the court into clownshoes (20 years for selling dope vs 7 years for rape), and that idea has permeated the culture... alas that's a discussion that probably isn't meant for the heavies

it's jj's image that gets damaged more

Yes i know what you're saying but, but can the UFC do it?, the NFL and NBA are team based, alot of teams everywhere in America, and each of them are huge companies, the UFC has a roster of completly individualized fighters that all appeal to the same fan base to either hate or like, can the UFC get away with something as huge as the NFL and the MLB can do?

If I had to guess, yes. As long as they put out an entertaining product superior to its competitors.

People line up to buy iPhones, they don't care that they had to install safety nets outside of the manufacturing center to stop employees from committing suicide... Nor do they care by what means the precious metals used in the construction are obtained... They just want that new hot shit, the rest of the world be damned

fDzM81OYrNjJC.gif

In the scenario where Jon Jones keeps the belt and comes back to the UFC schedule after being in "rehab" :icon_neut, how does UFC PR deals with the press of having its top fighter suffer no consequences for his use of illegal drugs? the damage control seems to be very light, and as some have pointed out, Nick Diaz got shafted hard for weed and he even had a medical authorization for it.

Prolly could have got 15x EBITDA in 2010. Maybe 4-5x today. This dam be leaking.

Even after that... First the NFL did the worst of things and tried to cover it up, or at least sweep it under the rug (2 games, claiming they'd never seen the video, lol)

Then Rice won his appeal and was reinstated in the league! Granted it doesn't seem like anyone will touch him, as of yet...

I think with social media and the fact that everyone has a camera and instant access to the internet does raise the awareness... But in the end, IMO, it just doesn't matter to a lot of people.

I live in MN, and people birch and moan about Peterson being suspended for the year... Not because they are making dinner sorry of stand for or against child abuse, but because they wonder how the rookie QB would have looked worth a legit running game... Or if we coulda snuck into the playoffs... All memories of a poor 4 yo kid with scars on his goddamn testicles forgotten, and people birch that the league is "screwing us again"

And I have to say, and I'm not trying to argue with you: that drug offenses should not be held in the same regard as someone who beats their spouse or somehow directly causes harm to others. The bullshit war on drugs that has turned the court into clownshoes (20 years for selling dope vs 7 years for rape), and that idea has permeated the culture... alas that's a discussion that probably isn't meant for the heavies

I believe we probably have the same views on the criminalization of drug use. I don't think Jones career should be over, but how the organization handles this will define its standard of conduct. I hope that the UfC takes the high road.

I dont think people will care at the end of the day. Maybe there will be some new rules regarding drug testing... But what sport doesn't have their stars snorting coke from stripper tits?

bad publicity is still publicity, as long they're talking about Jon Jones and the UFC this will end well for them

I believe we probably have the same views on the criminalization of drug use. I don't think Jones career should be over, but how the organization handles this will define its standard of conduct. I hope that the UfC takes the high road.

I hear what you're saying and hope for the same, it already seems like they are making the wrong choices... It's happened before; Rampage going nuts in his giant truck pops into my head right away, and Dana was there to bail him out...

the double standard is what gets me, along with the hypocrisy, on both Jones' and the UFCs parts...

More so, towards the UFC, because they've taken the high road and derailed fighters careers in the past, then are so willing to look past this... As far as JJ, I don't care as much. In the end, he's just a man and I'm sure I've said and done some shit that I'm not proud of and might have been less than honest...

It just seems people are so quick to judge, and they come off as some sort of paragon of virtue; I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you combed through the lives of all the righteously indignant posters on here, you'd find some stuff worse than playing around with a little booger sugar... IMO they come off as being just as much of a hypocrite as what they are arguing against.

throwing stones, glass houses, and such

If jones just never said that hypocritical speech on air, half of the people would be more meh on the subject.

I know he was younger then, but righteous hypocrisy in the guise of religion is hard to just brush off. Especially someone like jones who just kept rubbing people the wrong way.

Back