• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did you know it was over?

When I thought it likely was over for Gus was after DC fight

When I knew for sure it was over was after Jones 2, or even during the fight looking at how he fought

When Gus knew it was over himself was vs Smith

That Chuck KO vs Rashad was absolutely gorgeous/brutal. As you stated, it was pretty obvious he wasn't coming back from that one. One of the best examples of, "Well, that dude's done" that I've seen.

Have one on a guy winning. Shogun against Vera. Going in figured Shogun would destroy. He clearly won, resulting in a finish. But man, terrible fight. Both gassed before the 1st round ended. Shogun would fight pretty well gassed, still able to move forward and impose some level of offense. Just remember most of the fight being sloppy as hell, with Shogun laying on top of Vera for most of it.

This was after the legendary fight against Henderson. Thought it'd be the beginning of one last title run for Shogun, but nah. Seeing how he struggled against a shot Vera, those aspirations for him died that night. My nut huggery of Shogun faded pretty hard after that.

Three years before this Chael laid the blueprint out for beating Silva. Wrestle him to the ground where his striking is useless and then avoid his BJJ by not relaxing and getting into a ground scramble. Chael rocked Silva multiple times in their first fight because Silva was being overly cautious over takedown attempts and leaving himself open for easy 1-2 shots and straights. Chael controlled and dominated Silva on the ground but failed to get a finish and basically rested during a ground and pound sequence allowing Silva to throw a triangle onto him.

Lots of people were looking for Weidman to beat Silva. Silva was like -300 to -400 betting favorite against every but Chael and Bonnar (where he was a hilarious -1500 or something crazy to win). But against Weidman he was getting like -150 in some places and Weidman like +150. So people were expecting Silva to lose to Weidman like he did against Chael only this time without the triangle finish.

Silva leaving his hands down was a huge shock. And him getting starched was another shock. I know he was coming off of his 'Matrix' fights like against Bonnar. But Weidman was one of the strongest middleweights anyone had seen up to that point and people were very confident he was stylistically bad for Silva.

After the leg break, his age, and the drugs, people knew it was mostly over for Silva. His entire fighting style after that changed from trying to win to trying to just get some highlight reel moments that cost him pretty much every single match he was in from that point onward.

Something most people fail to realize is Silva had a god chin. He ate shots from Murray and Rivera like tic tacs. He then gets dropped by pillow fist sonnen who can't bust a grape?

That was the 1st sign in retrospect. It was sealed with the leg break

Three years before this Chael laid the blueprint out for beating Silva. Wrestle him to the ground where his striking is useless and then avoid his BJJ by not relaxing and getting into a ground scramble. Chael rocked Silva multiple times in their first fight because Silva was being overly cautious over takedown attempts and leaving himself open for easy 1-2 shots and straights. Chael controlled and dominated Silva on the ground but failed to get a finish and basically rested during a ground and pound sequence allowing Silva to throw a triangle onto him.

Lots of people were looking for Weidman to beat Silva. Silva was like -300 to -400 betting favorite against every but Chael and Bonnar (where he was a hilarious -1500 or something crazy to win). But against Weidman he was getting like -150 in some places and Weidman like +150. So people were expecting Silva to lose to Weidman like he did against Chael only this time without the triangle finish.

Silva leaving his hands down was a huge shock. And him getting starched was another shock. I know he was coming off of his 'Matrix' fights like against Bonnar. But Weidman was one of the strongest middleweights anyone had seen up to that point and people were very confident he was stylistically bad for Silva.

After the leg break, his age, and the drugs, people knew it was mostly over for Silva. His entire fighting style after that changed from trying to win to trying to just get some highlight reel moments that cost him pretty much every single match he was in from that point onward.
The overwhelming majority said Weidman would be easy work and hadn't proven to be worthy of fighting Silva.

I remember the Weidman has 2% chance of winning thread back in 2013 and the overwhelming majority said Silva was gonna clown Weidman

BJ after losing to Diaz

I thought he still had it after the Fitch fight

Motivated BJ in his prime was a better version of Diaz everywhere. He starched Diego and Sherk both of which made Diaz look average when they beat him

I don’t think Gaethje or Volk will ever be the same again after those devastating KOs.

"When I put you on skates, I'm leaving you frozen like Elsa"
The universe was never gonna let that one slide.
That was so bad it was funny
"You know what would fire up the common UFC target audience? An Elsa reference! Yeah, im definitely going with that one"

I knew Thomas Gifford was done with MMA after Mike Davis beat him up baaaad

Last edited:
Lost to the #1 LW by an injury in a competitive round and you don’t see him ever winning another fight? I call bullshit
Anderson broke his leg and never won a fight legitimately again. Tested positive against Diaz and robbed Brunson of a win. (I’m talking strictly mma fights not boxing)
Corey hill went 4-7 on the regional scene after his leg break. Wins over very low competition.
Weidman eye poked himself to a win over Bruno after his leg break. That’s about it.
The odds are not in connors favour here.

Without the benefit of total hindsight bias, I think Gathje is pretty much done as a top fighter. We'll see if I'm wrong.

That Chuck KO vs Rashad was absolutely gorgeous/brutal. As you stated, it was pretty obvious he wasn't coming back from that one. One of the best examples of, "Well, that dude's done" that I've seen.
Watched that fight at work, everybody was popping off

I knew it was over for Conor the moment he signed the dotted line to fight Khabib.

Something most people fail to realize is Silva had a god chin. He ate shots from Murray and Rivera like tic tacs. He then gets dropped by pillow fist sonnen who can't bust a grape?

That was the 1st sign in retrospect. It was sealed with the leg break
Its not that Sonnen hit that hard. He made the punches hard to predict so Silva didnt see them coming.

s-l500.jpg
Fuck that day and fight.

I already was suspicioous about his performace VS Eddie sanchez, Gonzaga however almost made me cry.

Back