When Did Chris Weidman Lose his Fight IQ?

Shit you're absolutely right. I forgot it was Luke that was gassing. Mouth wide open. Thanks.

No problem, I agree with the rest of what you said, that part just stood out to me as being inaccurate. Thanks for not taking it personally.

The wheel kick he threw against Rockhold might be the dumbest thing I've seen in MMA.

That and Lombard going for a leglock on Magny were probably the two of the dumbest mistakes that lead to a fighter declining quickly I have ever seen in MMA. Weidman was never the same after that mistake and Lombard wasn't either.

He was undefeated up until the Rockhold fight.
Then every fight after that seemed like the engine broke down and had problems functioning again.

What happened?
USADA, weight cutting, old brazilians, stopped wrestling.

He was never my boy.

When he threw the wheel kick and took a shit load of damage. IMO it's not just your chin that diminishes with damage(though it varies how quickly person to person), you're reflexes also diminish and Weidman was never a fast guy but used to have great timing, good reflexes, and a good chin now he doesn't.

in my opinion it's this. his reflexes were incredible. i know a lot of people think Anderson gave the fights away and he just got lucky but they need to rewatch Weidman's fights. the way he KO'd Munoz was insane, timing the elbow while simultaneously slipping the overhand, and he had Anderson fucked up way before the leg break. people forget this happened:

UFC168-ChrisWeidmanXAndersonSilva-Rd1-SloMo1a-400-sg.gif

and this:

8hnh.gif
weidman-silva-td1.gif

Weidman was kicking Anderson's ass in both fights way before the "fluke" KO or "fluke" leg break.

I think the problem is his cardio.

All of his fights were competitive until he gassed and got finished.

He was undefeated up until the Rockhold fight.
Then every fight after that seemed like the engine broke down and had problems functioning again.

What happened?
weidman kick.gif

Problem is, his fight IQ, he throws a Chael Sonnen like spinning back fist at rockhold, misses badly like Chael did on Silva and gets brutalized. He was winning against Jacare and Romero until he got knocked out. Mousasi he was probably 19-19, Mousasi pieced him up badly, but Weidman got take downs in the first. Really hasn't been embarrassed by anyone.
He was in no way winning against Romero. He lost the second round.

Yes, he has acquitted himself well in all of his losses, but they're still that.

Any version of Weidman can still beat up Munoz and off-TRT Belfort.

Rockhold, Romero and Moose were a substantial step-up in competition. He had competitive losses against truly elite talent. His big problem was fighting them all in a row, it was an absurd idea.

He was never that good to hang with up and coming MW killers

Easy( he still has retained some)-

2nd round of weidman mousasi - first time , ever, couldnt keep someone at the end of his punches and for first time he was backpedaling and getting hurt. Mousasi showed him what a complete stand up fighter looks like with IQ, best jab in business and a titanium chin.

Chris wanted out .....and got his wish.

weidman trying to weasel out of the mousasi fight left a bitter taste in my mouth. that was a blatant attempt at getting a cheap win.

kinda messed up. the guy obv got hurt by the knee.

Can't lose something you were never in possession of.

Right about here.... probably along with a lot of regular iq points

S8s2F8vCkpDkYKYivkWpbKF_InCdPBGBWtqY1Ckfo10.gif

Problem is, his fight IQ, he throws a Chael Sonnen like spinning back fist at rockhold, misses badly like Chael did on Silva and gets brutalized. He was winning against Jacare and Romero until he got knocked out. Mousasi he was probably 19-19, Mousasi pieced him up badly, but Weidman got take downs in the first. Really hasn't been embarrassed by anyone.

The difference I'd say is Rockhold was pressuring him and forced the mistake, against Anderson and Machida it was Weidman doing the pressuring and forcing errors.

The difference I'd say is Rockhold was pressuring him and forced the mistake, against Anderson and Machida it was Weidman doing the pressuring and forcing errors.
All this talk about Weidman never being that good in the first place...I'm gonna have to go back and watch that Machida fight again.

Back