When Did Chris Weidman Lose his Fight IQ?

I love it when they get hurt like this...Like you kicked their dog.

It's just a roidhead who doesn't care about you bra...Don't be so invested.

It's a joke, not a dick...We all know now that you can take both kiddo.<JagsKiddingMe>
giphy.gif

He’s too slow and predictable and lacks gas. His heart and willingness to fight through adversity seems to have wained too. Against Romero he set up his takedowns the same way each time and Romero made the read and blasted his head off.

He’s too slow and predictable and lacks gas. His heart and willingness to fight through adversity seems to have wained too. Against Romero he set up his takedowns the same way each time and Romero made the read and blasted his head off.
Romero was thinking "well, if he wants wrestling, he will have". Then, he started ragdolling easily. Another level... We can't even start comparing both. Sad.

weidman trying to weasel out of the mousasi fight left a bitter taste in my mouth. that was a blatant attempt at getting a cheap win.

Seems like after his two bum knee surgeries and not having that IV for re-hydration really took the wind out of his caboose.
I remember watching his earlier training videos and he was doing lifting and other things for strength that he had to abandon after the knee surgeries. I guess he didn't go see the same guy GSP went to see...But then again, Georges wasn't the same missile either after his two knees were worked on.(He used to double leg guys like a missile firing off...He looked normal after.)
he always seemed to gas in fights, even when winning. the weight cut was a problem in the long run.

he always seemed to gas in fights, even when winning. the weight cut was a problem in the long run.

He was much stronger when he had 2 good wheels beneath him though. He became pretty slow and far more gassy after the knees gave out and he couldn't put in the same work. It also probably played with his mind as well, knowing you're not the same fighter, it can likely diminish the self confidence he once had.

Chris was lucky to come up in the Silva era when MW was fileld with cans and guys like Silva who already had several losses to cans in Japan were ruling , The competition simply got better.
He would have been champion in any era of MW except for this one though , Nothing but the truth.

I love it when they get hurt like this...Like you kicked their dog.

It's just a roidhead who doesn't care about you bra...Don't be so invested.

It's a joke, not a dick...We all know now that you can take both kiddo.<JagsKiddingMe>
<{you!}>

I was honestly never was impressed by him. The Silva wins were kinda flukey, he beat old Machida and post trt Belfort. He was a product of timing.

I feel Weidman thought too much of his win over Anderson and considered himself top of the pile when really he was just the first of 4-5 contenders to get the Silva fight, won that and cashed in by defending against 2 old guys before being exposed against Rockhold. Romero obliterated him too as he would've done to Silva in Weidman's place.

I don't agree with your hypothesis. He fought everyone well. He just gasses early and/or loses to better fighters.
  • Mousasi: He was fighting him pretty well - spamming takedowns - he just couldn't hold Mousasi down or do any damage to him whatsoever on the ground. That was the 2nd most amazing thing about that fight. Then he gassed, and got dropped.
  • He took half the rounds from Romero, then gassed.
  • Against Luke he gassed.
  • He fought Kelvin very well. Great game plan implemented perfectly.
  • He was beating Jacare and was fighting well there too. He as tired but I am not sure you could blame that loss on "gassing"; Jacare just dropped his ass. He fought Jacare very well until then.
Of all these guys, only Kelvin was clearly a lower tier fighter than Weidman, and he pretty much schooled him as expected. He fought pretty well against guys roughly his skill level....until he gasses and/or gets tagged.

Chris was lucky to come up in the Silva era when MW was fileld with cans and guys like Silva who already had several losses to cans in Japan were ruling , The competition simply got better.
He would have been champion in any era of MW except for this one though , Nothing but the truth.

I think its moreso that Weidman matched up very well with Anderson, Machida and Vitor, strikers who were afraid to be put on their backs who he could slowly stalk.

Guys like Rockhold, Romero and Moose simply weren't vunerable to that game, Romero had great wrestling and Moose/Rockhold weren't afraid to end up on their backs.

When Machida caught him in the 4th round. He wasn't the same fighter after that. He was fine in taking strikes until then.

His arrogance became his undoing.

Yep. Just like Rockhold ironically.

Weidman became too confident standing and stopped focusing on his strength: Grappling. And even after losing badly again and again, still does.

The constant injuries and inactivity has really killed his momentum too IMO

Back