When Canelo unifies 168

i think if he fights plant and beats him, the win will age well, but i agree it’s not gonna be the biggest fight of the year. plant doesn’t have the resumé to back up the skills at the moment but i think he will one day soon.

Well that’s the problem here. Beating a guy who’s best win is arguably Vincent Feigenbutz doesnt do much for Canelo’s legacy.

Plant is a fantastic boxer, Canelo is just that great. He makes really good fighters look like bums.

Does he? Seems to me all his fights against top quality fighters are always close or competitive . Lara, GGG, Jacobs, Golovkin, even shot Cotto, and Saunders looked decent and undersized Khan won almost every round until he was stopped. Stop acting like he's prime Roy Jones'ing his opponents.

From what I can see this division is the weakest its been in history. He will probably unify without fighting 1 single killer or great fighter or established champion. Just a bunch of paper champs who won vacant titles. Anyone think he would have unified vs the previous generation?

Does he? Seems to me all his fights against top quality fighters are always close or competitive . Lara, GGG, Jacobs, Golovkin, even shot Cotto, and Saunders looked decent and undersized Khan was almost every round until he was stopped. Stop acting like he's prime Roy Jones'ing his opponents.

From what I can see this division is the weakest its been in history. He will probably unify without fighting 1 single killer or great fighter or established champion. Just a bunch of paper champs who won vacant titles. Anyone think he would have unified vs the previous generation?
Lara ran for his life. Jacobs fight wasnt close at all. Soundly outboxed Cotto. Shattered BJS face while barely losing a round. Murdered Khan.

I dont know why I bother even engaging with your nonsense.

People won't care how many wins he has against guys 168 or under. Especially because he's the biggest name there. Unfortunately Mayweather will always have a leg up due to his head to head win. The longer we move away from the fight the age and weight drain becomes almost forgotten.
His only chance to leave a legacy close or better than Floyd's is beating a killer name much bigger. They're aren't really any known names with the star power. The skill and talent is there. But they dont have the name power.
No one rates Marciano over Joe Louis, and he beat Joe Louis. Joe Louis wasnt Joe Louis anymore when he fought Marciano.
Canelo wasnt Canelo yet when he lost to Floyd.
Canelo is leagues above what he was then. This Canelo, not counting the weight, would stop 2013 Canelo within 6 to 8 rds. That much of a difference. Skill, technique, his cardio, his punch sequence, his boxing knowledge. The way he moves his upper body in a certain cadence to how he moves with his feet. His overall defense and head movement.
This is not the same guy.

The nature of his loss to Floyd leaves him 2nd tier elite, at best.

It will be a nice feather on his cap. Undisputed titles are nothing to joke about and Plant is a capable boxer. That being said the two GGG fights are a greater achievement in my book. I just don't think Plant has what it takes to make this bout a great one.

It will be a nice feather on his cap. Undisputed titles are nothing to joke about and Plant is a capable boxer. That being said the two GGG fights are a greater achievement in my book. I just don't think Plant has what it takes to make this bout a great one.
Itll probably be 5-6 competitive rounds and then Canelo will dominate. If Plant had even average power there are very very few that would beat him, but he cant punch for shit and Canelo will mow him down.

Lara ran for his life. Jacobs fight wasnt close at all. Soundly outboxed Cotto. Shattered BJS face while barely losing a round. Murdered Khan.

Many people think Lara won the fight. Jacobs, Cotto and BJS were all competitive fights. Your initial claim was he makes really good fighters look like bums. Now go ahead and list them. Canelo only looks amazing vs bums.

No one rates Marciano over Joe Louis, and he beat Joe Louis. Joe Louis wasnt Joe Louis anymore when he fought Marciano.
Canelo wasnt Canelo yet when he lost to Floyd.
Canelo is leagues above what he was then. This Canelo, not counting the weight, would stop 2013 Canelo within 6 to 8 rds. That much of a difference. Skill, technique, his cardio, his punch sequence, his boxing knowledge. The way he moves his upper body in a certain cadence to how he moves with his feet. His overall defense and head movement.
This is not the same guy.

Yes he has totally transformed as a fighter from fight 44 of his career. lol. He literally had 1 less pro fight than Floyd when they fought. Stop creating fantasies. He was stuck in the mud and struggled to get past a shot Kovalevs jab for 10 rounds, no fighter transforms after 44 pro fights. I will be convinced hes transformed after he proves he can deal with a Floyd type of fighter again.

I'm curious when this transformation began because it must have been after the Khan fight when he lost every round before he caught him which proves he still has nothing for slick speed fighters. That was his 49th pro fight, maybe he transformed after that?

I'm curious when this transformation began because it must have been after the Khan fight when he lost every round before he caught him which proves he still has nothing for slick speed fighters. That was his 49th pro fight, maybe he transformed after that?

You're telling the story like it was a lucky punch turning the tables in a one-sided beating lol. Maybe he just didn't need to outpoint 160 lbs Khan as he was goddamn certain to catch him for good as long as he worked the body long enough. Maybe this could have been some successfully implemented gameplan in a professional boxing fight. Go figure.

Last edited:
Well that’s the problem here. Beating a guy who’s best win is arguably Vincent Feigenbutz doesnt do much for Canelo’s legacy.
i think truax is a good win. he only loses to really good fighters.

but yeah, at the moment, plant needs a better resumé and i’m sure that will happen.

Many people think Lara won the fight. Jacobs, Cotto and BJS were all competitive fights. Your initial claim was he makes really good fighters look like bums. Now go ahead and list them. Canelo only looks amazing vs bums.
i don’t personally think kirkland/khan/smith are future hall of famers or anything but they’re certainly not “bums” man. you’re just not used to seeing someone that far ahead of their peers.
Yes he has totally transformed as a fighter from fight 44 of his career. lol. He literally had 1 less pro fight than Floyd when they fought. Stop creating fantasies. He was stuck in the mud and struggled to get past a shot Kovalevs jab for 10 rounds, no fighter transforms after 44 pro fights. I will be convinced hes transformed after he proves he can deal with a Floyd type of fighter again.

floyd is one of a kind. there’s no one who can really be compared to him.

I think his best win is pretty clearly Uzcategui, who looked red hot at the moment

Plant is underrated here. He might lose, but unlike BJS he is a real fighter and will not just quit, Canelo would have to nail him on the floor to win. And the unification of four belts is a huge accomplishment on its own. Like it did with Bhop, Crawford, Taylor and Usyk it will ascend Canelo even higher to the heaven.

Young and inexperienced at the elite level leaves him second tier?

Aight.
that really only goes so far. plenty of fighters with worse resumés who pulled off elite level wins. canelo had damn near 50 fights.

that really only goes so far. plenty of fighters with worse resumés who pulled off elite level wins. canelo had damn near 50 fights.

Yeah, movementwise Floyd was just the guy's kryptonite. Also, Canelo tried to box him up, which isn't the wisest tactical choice but could have been the only realistic one : had he gone balls to the wall Maidana style he would have gassed after the first few rounds. His stamina was average at 154, let alone 152. This is a fight he just couldn't win.

And single losses are overrated in modern boxing. The old timers used to fight multiple times each other. Charles beat Walcott twice, only to give him a rematch and get knocked out himself. Even in recent times we see how little a single fight tells us. Ruiz/Joshua or Kovalev/Eleider Alvarez come to mind.

well if he’s fighting a world champ at 168 and they have no hope, that sounds more like “Canelo is so far ahead of the pack” than “everyone he fights is bad”

it wasn’t long ago that callum smith was dubbed the guy to finally end canelo’s streak

I don’t think many believed that smith would beat him. Most thought he’d give a few problems though (myself included), which he didn’t

The first golovkin fight was the only controversial decision imo. I’ve no issue with it at the end of the day, as they rematched and he beat him

And I absolutely agree with your earlier statement; he makes very good fighters look average. He’ll do the same to plant

Back