Rewatch When Brock showed he was for real

Only overrated by WWE casuals. We all knew that he wasn’t beating guys like JDS or Cain, and would struggle against Big Nog. Crocop, Kongo, and even Gonzaga could have given him hell. Brock over performed against Carwin, who in hindsight was a dangerous but limited fighter. Brock remains the most egregious case of favorable matchmaking in UFC history. Post motorcycle Mir was inconsistent, and Randy was 45 and small for HW. But, Brock showed up and performed when presented with opportunities so he deserves his credit for that.
The Randy fight was awesome tbh. I don't consider that favorable matchmaking

That was the fight where Brock became bad at taking shots. His striking was actually much better when he faced Heath Herring. Brock made him to do a somersault with a nice straight right and was exchanging well.

Brock was always for real.

He's a 300 lbs. D1 Wrestler, not a professional boxer.

And he was green as hell. His only problem was fighters who could negate the wrestling advantage.

Everything with him came down to the old trope of "Imposing your will". If he could do that to you, you were in a huge amount of trouble, a la Lesnar vs Mir II and if he couldn't, it looked amateurish, a la Lesnar vs Cain.

I think we’re on the same page mate. Favourable match making and was never going to be a long standing champ but fair do, he took the opportunities he was given and achieved a lot for someone who clearly didn’t like to get hit. A true definition of someone who likes to be the hammer and doesn’t like to be the nail. A big fucking hammer though that mf’er was!

I grew to appreciate him more as I aged. I was definitely among the snobs who hated his presence and wanted him to lose. But I’ve come to appreciate the business/ promotion aspect of this “sport”. It would be stupid of Dana to set Brock up for failure. I see that now. Cheers brother.

That was so strange, he obviously has a good chin and can take a punch, he also took some good punches before the Carwin fight, and he also ate them during the Carwin fight, just to then later start fearing punches like the devil fears the cross.

It like happened overnight and he got so afraid of them later on that he basically had to retire...

The crazy thing is he was thrown into the deep end despite his lack of mma experience. He didn't have the time to develop properly like most other fighters, and I think he started in his late 20s or early 30s.

I grew to appreciate him more as I aged. I was definitely among the snobs who hated his presence and wanted him to lose. But I’ve come to appreciate the business/ promotion aspect of this “sport”. It would be stupid of Dana to set Brock up for failure. I see that now. Cheers brother.
Yeah I'll have to stand up and admit that too, I was definitely a hater who wanted him to lose. I've probably gone the other way, couldn't give less of a fuck if I tried about the business aspect, I get it but I'm a fan of MMA who hates rich people, fuck those cunts and gve me the fights I want to see :)
<Fedor23>

I thought Lesnar was supposed to be such a great wrestler. When he was under Carwin in the first round, he had absolutely no answer on how to get out from under him. Carwin's cardio looked like a guy who took the fight on real short notice. Not a very good performance by either guy. Jon Jones would eat these guys alive!

Brock made a title run at the best time for him, when Couture was still top 5 and before the JDS and Cain era.

Nobody else can come from WWE and become UFC champ that’s for damn sure.
Maybe a prime Kurt Angle could have, assuming he could take a punch. But certainly no one there without a strong wrestling background. They are actors, not athletes.

I also don't think Brock would have become a champion had he had to work his way up the normal way instead of getting instantly given a title shot. Imagine he had to face Cain or JDS on his way up the rankings.

Maybe a prime Kurt Angle could have, assuming he could take a punch. But certainly no one there without a strong wrestling background. They are actors, not athletes.

I also don't think Brock would have become a champion had he had to work his way up the normal way instead of getting instantly given a title shot. Imagine he had to face Cain or JDS on his way up the rankings.
Of course they are athletes.

That Carwin fist was for real

j0symeb5gal91.jpg

You can't deny the fact that he took getting hit badly sir.
Sure he got dropped but look at EVERY other one of Carwins wins. All in the first round, and he was sleeping people. the fact that Brock took his shots and made it to the second round, and smiled at him before starting the second round!!! I've never been a brock fan, but he earned my respect that night

The Randy fight was awesome tbh. I don't consider that favorable matchmaking
I wouldn't say so in terms of style BUT I think Brock getting first shot at Randy rather than say Werdum who was promised it twice was clearly favourable, Randy was coming off a couple of upset wins and hadnt fought in 18 months at an advanaced age, everyone wanted a shot at him.

That was also a fight were the extreme Lesnar fanboys tended to ignore how it actually went, they carried on pushing the same old Kerr style "unstoppable wrestler" hype yet Randy did largely stop his wrestling. Seems to be something which goes around every few years as Bo Nikel was getting the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Physicall his chin was fine but mentally he was obviously very panicky.

The ironic thing is I'd say that whilst Lesnar became big source of UFC hype it was actually the hardcore UFC fanbase who dismissed him far more at first due to the way the sport was sold to them as "anti pro wrestling". The idea that a pro wrestler could also be a legit fighter was mostly dismissed by such posters.
Maybe if it was a wrestler from a different weight class would've helped also. Being a giant ped monster is not as impressive? No. Not to me. You're already a fucking giant athlete that sounds like a whining white racist American. I don't hate you Carwin, just very disappointed. Haha.GIPHY.gif

Back