• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

when are you considered a UFC fighter

A promotion and relegation system like Premier League would fix the issue i am talking about and clearly define the line between a 'premier' UFC fighter' and 'relegated' ufc fighter. If you dont understand the point, I get it, but its getting so watered down the meaning of UFC level is lost.

More context about promotion and relegation:

"Promotion and relegation

A system of promotion and relegation exists between the Premier League and the EFL Championship. The three lowest placed teams in the Premier League are relegated to the Championship, and the top two teams from the Championship promoted to the Premier League, with an additional team promoted after a series of play-offs involving the third, fourth, fifth and sixth placed clubs.

promotion and relegation is a process where teams can move up and down between multiple divisions arranged in a hierarchical structure, based on their performance over a season. Leagues that use promotion and relegation systems are often called open leagues. In a system of promotion and relegation, the best-ranked team(s) in a lower division are promoted to a higher division for the next season, and the worst-ranked team(s) in the higher division are relegated to the lower division for the next season. During the season, teams that are high enough in the league table that they would qualify for promotion are sometimes said to be in the promotion zone, and those at the bottom are in the relegation zone (colloquially the drop zone or facing the drop)."​

It just doesn’t mean what it used to. The ufc is over saturated with mid level talent now. If they fight on a ufc card they are a ufc fighter though, even though it doesn’t mean as much as it once did.
Fuck, I wasn't copying you when I posted, I read your post after the fact. 😂, but yeah, you hit the nail on the head imo.

this worst espn card has me thinking

there are soooooooo many 'prospects' and up and comers in the UFC on small cards that to call yourself 'A UFC fighter' has kind of lost its luster.

To me, unless your ranked in the top ten your not officially a UFC fighter yet.

They should make minor league UFC and major league UFC (like MLB).

10-30 years ago you WERE a UFC fighter, it had meaning and respect, but now.....mehhh, not so much (until top 10) or wer on at least 1 PPV main card.
I just realized OP is trying to crowd source a solution to the UFC watering itself down.

This is like when a telecom company fires its tech support department and sets up an internet forum for customers to sort themselves out.

I just realized OP is trying to crowd source a solution to the UFC watering itself down.

This is like when a telecom company fires its tech support department and sets up an internet forum for customers to sort themselves out.

I have OCD so i need to develop a solution to this issue , even ifs only for my own benefit and mental ease lol.

Il make my own personal Excel spreadsheets with promotion and relegation of ufc fighters and have a bold red line somewhere in the middle that clearly defines the line of premier ufc fighter and relegated ufc fighter.. lol

I have OCD so i need to develop a solution to this issue , even ifs only for my own benefit and mental ease lol.

Il make my own personal Excel spreadsheets with promotion and relegation of ufc fighters. lol
lol I'm right there with you, buddy

After your career is over and only if you were a champ with multiple defenses. Then you can say, “ya, I’m a UFC fighter, waddup now bro?”

I still watch most events and have no idea of who the fook are most of those guys in Fight Night prelims. Before the cards became so watered down I have at least a notion of who was every single fighter even in early prelims.

TS wasn't good at getting his point across, but he is right. Roster and cards are absolutely bloated after the ESPN deal and the bottom half are regional level.

Umm, out of 700 plus UFC fighters maybe 150-250 are worthy imo. It's not how it use to be, the UFC has been super oversaturated for a while now. Even though they're officially called "UFC fighters", there's way too many mid tier to low tier guys that need to be gotten rid of. We need to have quality over quantity once again. So yeah, the UFC badge doesn't hold as much weight as it use too imo.
It's just different than it used to. Still it's ufc's decision to sign so many fighters and when they fight in the promotion they need to be called ufc fighters. Whether they are worthy or not is a different story. Clearly they don't mind if the status loses it's luster. Then it's about who is good and who is not. And who is at the top. Thats why they implemented the ranking system I guess. Tho for someone who watches pretty much every card it's actually pretty easy to follow.

You're an official UFC fighter when you face the pain and rip your opponent into pieces.

<{JustBleed}>

this worst espn card has me thinking

there are soooooooo many 'prospects' and up and comers in the UFC on small cards that to call yourself 'A UFC fighter' has kind of lost its luster.

To me, unless your ranked in the top ten your not officially a UFC fighter yet.

They should make minor league UFC and major league UFC (like MLB).

10-30 years ago you WERE a UFC fighter, it had meaning and respect, but now.....mehhh, not so much (until top 10) or wer on at least 1 PPV main card.

Guys like Ben Saunders and the Dirty Bird have given us dozens of memorable performances, but I don't think either have been ranked.

Lots of other examples.

Back