• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's up with Aljos lack of popularity?

Ok so he felt he had to ham it up after being hit by a legit illegal knee against Yan, but:

He grew from that and properly defeated Yan in the rematch.

He has comfortably beat the title challengers the UFC has put in front of him since. Not his fault if they're putting in hurt or over the hill guys.

On his way up, he knocked the heads off the unranked and top 15 guys as needed. He ran through Sandhagan who is a beast.

He's got a persona and image I'd have thought most UFC fans would go for. Outside of the cage he seems more plausible than the Suga Show but OMalley is wildly more popular.

Fighting style isn't as attractive as, again, say OMalley, but gets the job done pretty ruthlessly. has all those BW records that have been quoted elsewhere (so I won't repeat).

So what it is? Why so hated by both casuals and hard core that a reigning champ gets booed in his own back yard? Was he alot more popular before the Yan acting and his match ups have just not given him the chance to let him erase the past? Or something about him has always rubbed people up the wrong way?

Won a title acting <Moves>

He's even less likeable thrn usman which is unheard of.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
He's a good fighter but I take issue with him calling himself the GOAT and I take issue with you saying he comfortably beat the fighters they put in front of him. The decisions, split decisions, and DQ. These are not the results a dominant fighter, no matter how talented they are. Call it bad luck, call it fierce competition, but it is what it is. Squeezing past an older and much stockier fighter with T. Rex arms is not "winning comfortably". Finishing fights would silence the critics.

Last edited:
Ok so he felt he had to ham it up after being hit by a legit illegal knee against Yan, but:

He grew from that and properly defeated Yan in the rematch.

He has comfortably beat the title challengers the UFC has put in front of him since. Not his fault if they're putting in hurt or over the hill guys.

On his way up, he knocked the heads off the unranked and top 15 guys as needed. He ran through Sandhagan who is a beast.

He's got a persona and image I'd have thought most UFC fans would go for. Outside of the cage he seems more plausible than the Suga Show but OMalley is wildly more popular.

Fighting style isn't as attractive as, again, say OMalley, but gets the job done pretty ruthlessly. has all those BW records that have been quoted elsewhere (so I won't repeat).

So what it is? Why so hated by both casuals and hard core that a reigning champ gets booed in his own back yard? Was he alot more popular before the Yan acting and his match ups have just not given him the chance to let him erase the past? Or something about him has always rubbed people up the wrong way?
Your first impression as a champ is important, and he’s either won due to injury or controversial split decisions. It’s quite clear why people don’t respect or like him as champ.

Reactions: Jeo
Because Aljo has Izzy's level of cringe without the confidence. He rubs people the wrong way the same way stars do, but he doesn't really inspire any adoration. TBH I don't think most fans know a single thing about Aljo outside of his fighting style. He has no memorable personality traits outside of accidentally saying homo erotic things.

Because when he got hit with an illegal knee, he couldn't continue in the moment.

Never mind that he's defended the title legitimately, that doesn't matter. It's just that one moment where he was fouled is on HIM in their eyes.

People are mad he won the belt cause someone threw an illegal strike and couldn't win the belt back cause they got owned.

Yup. Francis, Anderson, Jones, DC, Adesanya, Aldo, Hill, Pereira, Moreno, Figueiredo, Werdum, Rampage, Edwards, Nunes, Weili, Grasso, etc all got the same type of hate, for some reason. Meanwhile, everybody seems to want Colby for champ.
Had me at the first part of post, was thinking good sarcasm. Last line has me thinking maybe retarded or just a troll. Will hold off on final judgement.

He uses every slimy trick in the game to actually avoid fighting. The hands down on the mat shit, trying to get another DC, unlikeable personality, boring fights. List goes on. I only watch hoping the prick gets KOed.

Colby and Volkanovski are both decision machines and never get booed out of the arena after winning

Aljo, Woodley, Jones, Usman do
Jones is a decision machine? Lolll. Woodley and Usman would do nothing, like barely throw a punch or spam foot stomps. Volk is all action, similar to Max who is also a decision machine. You're delusional. Woodley and Usman also have no personality compared to volk, max, colby. Why is Wilder and Floyd more popular than Caleb plant??

He should go full heel and start referring to himself as the most dominant fighter who ever lived.

Colby and Volkanovski are both decision machines and never get booed out of the arena after winning

Aljo, Woodley, Jones, Usman do

Cmon man. People talk shit on Colby constantly. People talked shit on GSP for being a decision machine. People talk shit on Askren, Till, O’Malley, Paddy, McGregor, etc. People talk shit on Poirier, Gaethje and Chandler and those are three of the most exciting guys in history.

It’s a sour fanbase that spends most of its time bitching and moaning about things.

Jones is a decision machine? Lolll. Woodley and Usman would do nothing, like barely throw a punch or spam foot stomps. Volk is all action, similar to Max who is also a decision machine. You're delusional. Woodley and Usman also have no personality compared to volk, max, colby. Why is Wilder and Floyd more popular than Caleb plant??

There is a thread today asking why Derrick Lewis is more popular than Stipe. Everyone immediately knew the answer — Lewis is fun and Stipe is a bore. This isn’t that complicated.

He should go full heel and start referring to himself as the most dominant fighter who ever lived.

I do think part of Aljo’s problem is that he doesn’t have a lane from a marketing standpoint. The guys who catch on all have a lane. Brock was a monster heel. Conor was a flamboyant heel. Jorge was kind of an antihero. Sonnen was a troll. Nate was the antiestablishment middle finger guy. Randy Couture. Rampage. Cerrone. Rumble. We had a sense of who and what those guys are.

Then there are guys like Weidman who never really caught on because they never said anything interesting and just complained that nobody would put respect on their name, thought they were winning until they were losing, etc.

Aljo is in a tough spot. He should probably be a “face” except he’s got the acting job DQ hanging around his neck (and unceremoniously dumping Serra wasn’t a great look either). He dabbled with embracing the heel turn but it didn’t really work. His trash talk with O’Malley was boring.

I think he should try to be genuine and hope the fans will come around with a big win over a cringey O’Malley.

I'm converted. I missed the boat with him. I'.didnt realise how varied and well rounded he is. I love how he mixes question mark kicks and flashy elbkws with high level grappling.

He came forward and brought the fight to Cejudo and fought like a champion.

I am definitely a fan now.

Back