• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's up with Aljos lack of popularity?

Jeo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ok so he felt he had to ham it up after being hit by a legit illegal knee against Yan, but:

He grew from that and properly defeated Yan in the rematch.

He has comfortably beat the title challengers the UFC has put in front of him since. Not his fault if they're putting in hurt or over the hill guys.

On his way up, he knocked the heads off the unranked and top 15 guys as needed. He ran through Sandhagan who is a beast.

He's got a persona and image I'd have thought most UFC fans would go for. Outside of the cage he seems more plausible than the Suga Show but OMalley is wildly more popular.

Fighting style isn't as attractive as, again, say OMalley, but gets the job done pretty ruthlessly. has all those BW records that have been quoted elsewhere (so I won't repeat).

So what it is? Why so hated by both casuals and hard core that a reigning champ gets booed in his own back yard? Was he alot more popular before the Yan acting and his match ups have just not given him the chance to let him erase the past? Or something about him has always rubbed people up the wrong way?

I like Aljo (and always have) I fail to understand the casual (and hardcore) hate tbh. I get the original Yan DQ controversy but he rectified it in the rematch and has defeated all comers. Even though saturdays fight wasn’t the most exciting he was able to land takedowns and some control time against one of the best smaller weight fighters of all time and Olympic gold medalist wrestler. That is an enormous feat that speaks volumes about his tremendous skill set.

His stand up is really awkward and lame. Personality wise he seems like a good guy but not like a badass guy who you would think would be a champion. For me personally it's just hard to accept him as the most badass and elite guy of the division yet he keeps winning somehow

Cant force people to care.

He was well liked before the Yan fight. Now,not so much.

Unfortunatley,there isnt anybody for him to beat that is really going to change people's minds right now.

He's a little bit corny and tries a bit too hard to force a personality imo.

He seems pretty chill in most things but forces it when a mic is put infront of him. Same thing happens with Usman.

I've always said that with Usman. He's seems like a really decent guy, but when the Mic is in from of him, he changes his accent, his delivery all while saying the corniest shit ever.

Fewer fans are drawn to champs that don't finish.

<WellThere>

The illegal knee was jokes in retrospect, as he STILL hasn't finished Yan.

At least... Leon ko'd Usman.

<BC1>

Cant force people to care.

He was well liked before the Yan fight. Now,not so much.

Unfortunatley,there isnt anybody for him to beat that is really going to change people's minds right now.

I dunno I think as many people hate O'Malley as like him so if he throttles him he could develop a fanbase.

I dunno I think as many people hate O'Malley as like him so if he throttles him he could develop a fanbase.
I think itd only matter if he absolutley annihilates him.

I've always said that with Usman. He's seems like a really decent guy, but when the Mic is in from of him, he changes his accent, his delivery all while saying the corniest shit ever.
Usman stopped trying to force a personality after he became champ and beat Colby though. He's a lot more likeable and seems more genuine now than he was when he was trying hard to get noticed and force guys to fight him

Besides Faber how many BWs historically were even that popular or legit draws? Even prime Dom Cruz most didn't give a shit about him like that especially if it didnt involve Faber/TAM and he was a good talker and in a media position. Dom fought title fights against Mighty Mouse and TJ Dillashaw on Fight Night cards lol

BW while the deepest weight class is still a relatively niche division as far as popularity to casuals and masses. OMalley might be that bridge that draws in more casuals to the division like Conor did for FW or Shale for MW

It is pretty crazy that Aljo was getting booed so hard in New Jersey when he is a Long Island guy.

You would think the East Coasters would cheer for one of their own

Instead the arena was chanting "Hen-ry Hen-ry"

Newark had more love for the Mexican-American Arizona guy than the Long Island guy?

Unfortunately MMA fans enjoy WWE type antics so nice guys like Usman feel compelled to put on a tough guy act to sell fights. It doesn't work and just makes him sound corny.

Aljo isn't really cringe like that but I think some fans never forgave him for the way he won the belt. Initially, I wasn't a fan either but he's won me over with his last few performances.

It’s interesting because he was getting booed even when he was the only American-born champion on the roster. He’s been active, he’s well-liked by his peers, seems like a good guy, etc.

It makes you wonder…

It’s interesting because he was getting booed even when he was the only American-born champion on the roster. He’s been active, he’s well-liked by his peers, seems like a good guy, etc.

It makes you wonder…
No it dont. People liked him before the Yan fight.

His fans trying to talk everyone into liking him isn't helping.

Reactions: HHJ
Back