Whats up with AJ Agazarm?

Guy Marcello

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
After watching him go against Karo tonight in metamoris "underground," I really think this guy is a big time d-bag.

I mean I gave him the benefit of the doubt, for the shit he pulled in the "bjj kumite" a couple years ago, when he swore he didn't verbally tap, and it was clear as day on the video that he did.

But tonight he was repeatedly inconsiderate, unsportsmanlike, and disrespectful to a guy that has been around a lot longer than him, and who has a much more recognizable name. He shoved him, and waived his finger at him
Dikembe Mutombo style after Karo went for sub. If that wasn't enough, he intentionally tried to shove him off the stage.

It was a good matchup, and the guy has serious skill, but his attitude is piss poor, and I can only hope he gets wrecked next time out. He is definitely one of the more hate-able people in bjj.

I guess he's playing the roll of commentator now for Flo Grappling. Terrible!!!

Was it that bad? Saw a number of people saying similar things on Facebook. Dude definitely seems to rub people the wrong way.

the absolute best part about ADCC, aside from the Davi Ramos jumping armbar....was watching AJ get choked unconscious. what a douchebag.

who was that, Felipe Pena?

Click on the image below to play the instagram video clip:

AJ is a grade-a douchenozzle. This shit is par for the course.

Definitely not a fan, he just has one of those faces. I also hate how he dives for an ankle EVERY single match from 10 miles away. It's one of the most annoying signatures I've seen by a bjj guy....

It would be a more accurate thing to say that AJ is FloGrappling. As far as I am aware, he was the one who lobbied flo to have them include grappling. Props to him for that, but people moving their PPV over to Flo has made him a very powerful and influential member of the community.

lol at the clip, the move itself isn't even that bad, but he manages to douche it to the max.

He used well his wrestling connections and fluent Portuguese to establish relationships with IBJJF/Copa Podio to put everything in the FloGrappling package. Not bad actually... as it drew on all of his skills.

Hoping Daniel Strauss is going to tear him a new one at Polaris in September! :)

Bro, does he even know who Karo is, bro?

Everyone in the crowd was happy with AJ going to sleep.

He even got mocked because he got out of the mat all pissed off, kicking stuff and shit...

I guess the hate for AJ is universal

The only saving grace for him is that he was the one bringing the fight to Karo the whole time, and generally out-grappled him. But he was doing that whole "cmon, try something on me" attitude which really annoys me. If you can take him down, take him down (it proved difficult). If you can sub him, then sub him (he could not). I think he came in with an arrogance and expected to school Karo and toy with him, and it proved much harder than he thought.

First the crap with Oli Geddes, now this?

Every time I hear about AJ being a jerk (again),

I watch this and smile:

AJ showed genuine enthusiasm and excitement during the no-gi Pans the other day. I had no idea that it was Agazarm until I caught a replay of one of the matches and heard him identifying himself. He was totally geeked out by some of the matchups, which to me was a refreshing change from some of the arch, too-cool-for-school sort of commentating I've heard from others, during past events.

AJ showed genuine enthusiasm and excitement during the no-gi Pans the other day. I had no idea that it was Agazarm until I caught a replay of one of the matches and heard him identifying himself. He was totally geeked out by some of the matchups, which to me was a refreshing change from some of the arch, too-cool-for-school sort of commentating I've heard from others, during past events.

stiller_zoolander1.jpg

It's Metamoris, douchebaggery is part of the culture there.
At least he didn't curl up and claim a moral victory.

Listen I don't even give a shit that he has a cocky attitude. If he had only wagged his finger at Karo then fine, but for the people who saw the match, you can see he blatantly tried to shove Karo off the stage after Karo already took a spill earlier which hurt his head.

I feel there is just a whole new crop of guys doing bjj at every level, that have his shitty attitude. When I was introduced to this amazing art and started as a white belt 10 years ago, things were so much different. People respected their training partners, they respected their instructors, and they even respected their opponents.

The explosion in popularity has been great to witness no doubt, but the influx of wrestlers and young athletes in general has brought a culture of d-baggery that never ceases to make me sick. Even the dynamic within the academies has changed, a bunch of Mohawk clad assholes have infested our sport like rats, and there attitude and lack of respect is a cancer that threatens the future of grappling.

I'm not saying we need to bow to each other and shit like that, but each instructor has to take it upon themselves to restore humility and respect as key elements of their schools. We have to emphasize submission as the clear end game to every encounter, and also remember that this was a martial art that is based in real combat, not silly inverted, reverse dlh, backflips to 50/50, where the competitors take turns playing seasaw (spelling?), and whoever floats on top before the bell wins!

Sorry for the rant about all the sporty shit but I figured once I started why stop right?

To make the stereotypical response, in the olden days it was far worse. The Gracies and their cohorts were a bunch of thugs and quasi-criminals. There's a reason that bjj had such a bad reputation.

For every agazarm there's a jt Torres or a Keenan. Douches are unavoidable.

Listen I don't even give a shit that he has a cocky attitude. If he had only wagged his finger at Karo then fine, but for the people who saw the match, you can see he blatantly tried to shove Karo off the stage after Karo already took a spill earlier which hurt his head.

I feel there is just a whole new crop of guys doing bjj at every level, that have his shitty attitude. When I was introduced to this amazing art and started as a white belt 10 years ago, things were so much different. People respected their training partners, they respected their instructors, and they even respected their opponents.

The explosion in popularity has been great to witness no doubt, but the influx of wrestlers and young athletes in general has brought a culture of d-baggery that never ceases to make me sick. Even the dynamic within the academies has changed, a bunch of Mohawk clad assholes have infested our sport like rats, and there attitude and lack of respect is a cancer that threatens the future of grappling.

I'm not saying we need to bow to each other and shit like that, but each instructor has to take it upon themselves to restore humility and respect as key elements of their schools. We have to emphasize submission as the clear end game to every encounter, and also remember that this was a martial art that is based in real combat, not silly inverted, reverse dlh, backflips to 50/50, where the competitors take turns playing seasaw (spelling?), and whoever floats on top before the bell wins!

Sorry for the rant about all the sporty shit but I figured once I started why stop right?

Tell us how you really feel.

Another questionable match from AJ

I'm not an AJ fan and think he often comes off as a dick,but IMO this video doesn't prove it.That kick looks accidental.Looks like he was tring to push off him to scramble to his feet. His opponent acted for the DQ.

He almost always acts like a grade A douche. That said I suppose it gives us someone to root against. I love watching him lose. :icon_chee

I agree completely. But it's also worth pointing out that Karo's character isn't exactly beyond criticism. He makes a lot of excuses, tries to milk things a lot, and we all saw his arrogant and aggressive attitude on TUF.

I agree completely. But it's also worth pointing out that Karo's character isn't exactly beyond criticism. He makes a lot of excuses, tries to milk things a lot, and we all saw his arrogant and aggressive attitude on TUF.

No doubt. I totally agree with you 100%, but with that being said I've always thought people were a little hard on him for the "do you know who I am bro?" incident on TUF. He has made excuses and has not always been beyond reproach in his own right, but it is for that reason that I was actually impressed with his attitude and behavior last night.

For once, Karo came off as the good guy, and I think that really says something about the character of AJ.

Back