Whats up with AJ Agazarm?

Listen I don't even give a shit that he has a cocky attitude. If he had only wagged his finger at Karo then fine, but for the people who saw the match, you can see he blatantly tried to shove Karo off the stage after Karo already took a spill earlier which hurt his head.

I feel there is just a whole new crop of guys doing bjj at every level, that have his shitty attitude. When I was introduced to this amazing art and started as a white belt 10 years ago, things were so much different. People respected their training partners, they respected their instructors, and they even respected their opponents.

The explosion in popularity has been great to witness no doubt, but the influx of wrestlers and young athletes in general has brought a culture of d-baggery that never ceases to make me sick. Even the dynamic within the academies has changed, a bunch of Mohawk clad assholes have infested our sport like rats, and there attitude and lack of respect is a cancer that threatens the future of grappling.

I'm not saying we need to bow to each other and shit like that, but each instructor has to take it upon themselves to restore humility and respect as key elements of their schools. We have to emphasize submission as the clear end game to every encounter, and also remember that this was a martial art that is based in real combat, not silly inverted, reverse dlh, backflips to 50/50, where the competitors take turns playing seasaw (spelling?), and whoever floats on top before the bell wins!

Sorry for the rant about all the sporty shit but I figured once I started why stop right?

+500 points for you sir.

It must be hard being a d-bag while at the same time being a 2nd tier grappler who gets schooled every time he faces a top flight guy. To get that close to elite but not be able to push it over the finish line...I feel bad when it's a dude like Rader, sounds like no one should feel bad for AJ.

agreed, hype has surpassed reality. for a dude who's rep is based on wrestling, all the videos in this thread show his wrestling getting shut down completely. add in the douchebaggery and I ask, why is anyone paying him attention?

Last year at pan's I was next up to go on the same mat where AJ's younger brother happened to be competing. I was standing close to the barrier and was kind of in my own headspace when someone grabbed a fistful of the back of my gi and forcibly shoved me to the side. I turned around and it was AJ. Dude didn't say anything, didn't ask me to move so he could see/coach his brother, he just shoved me aside...not a fan.

Last year at pan's I was next up to go on the same mat where AJ's younger brother happened to be competing. I was standing close to the barrier and was kind of in my own headspace when someone grabbed a fistful of the back of my gi and forcibly shoved me to the side. I turned around and it was AJ. Dude didn't say anything, didn't ask me to move so he could see/coach his brother, he just shoved me aside...not a fan.

that's class A douchebaggery right there. i bet you a million fucking dollars he would never do that if the situation was exactly the same, except it was rodolfo standing there, not you.

dipshits like that deserve to run into a bj penn type and get knocked out for their shenanigans.

Wow.

I would of lost my shit....

I would of lost my shit....

ya man i hear you. prior to that happening i probably felt the same way, but in the moment i didn't even know how to react. i just kind of stared at him for a second, with a dumbfounded look more than anything. what a dick though.

the absolute best part about ADCC, aside from the Davi Ramos jumping armbar....was watching AJ get choked unconscious. what a douchebag.

I take no pleasure in mocking competitors when they lose, even when it's a spectacular loss. They deserve respect for putting it on the line.

But I'll make an exception in AJ's case.

c1c2637ef7f8c5b112a6a5bccb5ab7cb.gif

i take no pleasure in mocking competitors when they lose, even when it's a spectacular loss. They deserve respect for putting it on the line.

But i'll make an exception in aj's case.

c1c2637ef7f8c5b112a6a5bccb5ab7cb.gif

lmao!!!!!

Honest question, how/why is AJ so well connected in the grappling world? He got an invite to ADCC after not even making the semis in qualifying, and seems to be continuously popping up in these pro events despite not having any big credentials or a particularly dynamic style. I feel I remember hearing that he or a family member is involved in promoting somehow, but I can't remember the details.

Honest question, how/why is AJ so well connected in the grappling world? He got an invite to ADCC after not even making the semis in qualifying, and seems to be continuously popping up in these pro events despite not having any big credentials or a particularly dynamic style. I feel I remember hearing that he or a family member is involved in promoting somehow, but I can't remember the details.

He's done pretty good at IBJJF No Gi events. I believe he won Worlds No Gi last year. I think that's where most of his credit comes from.

He's done pretty good at IBJJF No Gi events. I believe he won Worlds No Gi last year. I think that's where most of his credit comes from.

He's also Gracie Barra. He get's a lot of pub from guys like Budo Jake and is or was sponsored by Shoyoroll.

I agree he has a boring style, but he has medal'd or won Pans and Worlds no gi at blackbelt adult the last 3 years, including open weight medals. He won nogi 2014 worlds. Might not have the same credentials in gi, but his nogi results speak for themselves.

Back