What's next for Paul Williams

ncmmarookie**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should Paul Williams bulk up and make a run at Middleweight or is there more for him to do at Welterweight?

Paul Williams vs. Carlos Quintana III: Quintana wants it, but does anyone want to see it?

Paul Williams vs. Antonio Margarito II: I say it would be more of the same.

Paul Williams vs. Miguel Angel Cotto: Interesting. With his small frame can he deal with the body shots from Cotto?

Paul Willaims vs. Oscar Del La Hoya: Paul's name is not big enough.

Paul Williams vs. Joshua Clottey: Both are called most feared WW. There is no money in this fight because casual fans don't know either of these guys.

Paul Willaims vs. Andre Berto: Berto is not even close to being ready for this.

Middle Weight? Do you mean Jr MW (154 lbs?)? If he moves up, he gives away his biggest advantage, which is length.

I hope the next thing that meets Paul Williams is the business end of a lightning bolt.

I would like to see the Cotto fight. Perhaps it could spark interest in a Mayweather fight for either.

Middle Weight? Do you mean Jr MW (154 lbs?)? If he moves up, he gives away his biggest advantage, which is length.

I hope the next thing that meets Paul Williams is the business end of a lightning bolt.

Jr. MW or MW he has the frame to do either. At 154 who is the to fight him De La Hoya? Mora? I don't want to see those well maybe De La Hoya.

Paul use reach to his advantage be he can fight in close. He closed the gap to ko Quintana. He used his reach to wear down Margarito but then he closed the gap on him too.

I agree with the rest that he should stay in the welterweight division as long as he can. He looked spectacular against Quintana on Saturday, but he is not a big puncher. He's a swarmer that wears you out and then drops you. If he moves up to 160, he loses all his physical advantages and they hit a lot harder up there.

Oh... And Margarito beats him the second time around.

I am interested in him fighting cotto. It's just the huge height differential. Cotto is all-round better fighter. Just like to see how he will deal with it.

What's the deal with Mosely?

I haven't been following to closely as to why the Zab/Mosely fight got called off.

Assuming no big injury on the part of Mosely - I'd like to see Mosely v Williams.

Id like to see Paul fight the winner of Cotto and Margarito. Especially if Margarito pulls it off, then there has to be a rematch.
But if its Cotto it would still be an interesting fight with two of the top Welters.
Im still just not sure how to feel about Paul Williams. I mean look at his last two performances against Quintana: who the fuck is this guy, really?

I haven't been following to closely as to why the Zab/Mosely fight got called off.

Assuming no big injury on the part of Mosely - I'd like to see Mosely v Williams.

That would be a nice but Williams is over 6 ft tall and a southpaw. Mosley does not want to deal with either of those at this point in his career.

Reason?

See

Mosley vs. Wright
Mosley vs. Forrest
Mosley vs. De La Hoya (not quite 6 ft but even his height was trouble for Mosley)

Oh... And Margarito beats him the second time around.

I agree. I thought Williams deserved the first bout even though Margarito came close to pulling off the W over the second half of the fight. Now that Tony has already been in there once with Williams, he should be able to overcome the slow start that plagued him in their first bout and figure out Williams much earlier in the fight.

Margarito had trouble with Williams in the first 6 rounds....then Margarito came back and won the next 5, but was out of gas in the 12th and couldn't win the round to make it a draw

Margarito would win if he fights Williams again

Williams should fight the Judah-Clottey winner

Moseley vs. Williams = Bad news for Mosely. I love Shane but that would be a horrible style matchup.

edit: the hammer was dropped. the new mods are taking out the trash. love it.

Williams vs winner of Cotto/Margarito.
I would also watch a Quintana 3 fight but it should be on a undercard.

Williams vs winner of Cotto/Margarito.
I would also watch a Quintana 3 fight but it should be on a undercard.

So... what I'm getting out of you here is.. "I'd watch it, but the fight makes no sense". Hmm, interesting matchmaking you've got going on there.

I'd like to see Williams in there with Cotto/Cintron/SSM/Judah.

I also disagree that Paul is a nightmare for SSM. I think Mosley handles him.

So... what I'm getting out of you here is.. "I'd watch it, but the fight makes no sense". Hmm, interesting matchmaking you've got going on there.

I'd like to see Williams in there with Cotto/Cintron/SSM/Judah.

I also disagree that Paul is a nightmare for SSM. I think Mosley handles him.

Really? I respect your opinion and Mosley is great. But Winky is not even a natural southpaw and gave him fits both times (not as much second time). Forrest's height/reach was too much (three times).

I am not saying Paul>Shane that would be ridiculous. He has too many factors that Shane can't deal with though.

Well, I think that Winky and Vernon gave SSM fits because of their countering style moreso than their height.
Williams is anything but a counter puncher, and I think Mosely (even @ this stage of his career) could give Williams trouble.

I could be 100% wrong, but that's how I see it.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that if the fight were offered to SSM, he wouldn't turn it down. If anything, Williams would be the reluctant party, 'cause he really wouldn't gain anything from the fight.

Back