What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Castillo

What do you have in the plans for Daijon? When do you think he will go Pro, and what will you be looking to change when he does make that step?

Jaja, well I won't just divulge the plans. Then seeing it won't be any real fun! Let's just say you're going to see out of him some things that no Southpaw has ever REALLY done before. And by done I mean effectively. As of right now, projected date for Pro debut is summer of 2016. Right now we're focused on Golden Gloves. I think all 3 of them and possibly Bleu could win a State Title. Beyond that is Regionals and Nationals. Daijon and Joseph DEFINITELY have a shot at Nationals. Next year I want to send them to most of the big tournaments in the U.S. PAL, Gene Lewis, etc. See if we can collect Titles. Then the beginning of 2016 we'll do the USA Nationals, then Golden Gloves again, turn Pro after that.

If everything goes as I have planned, we don't need to change anything when it's time to go Pro. We'll just need to adjust to the length of fights, and prepare for tougher opposition in-terms of when it comes time they fight a guy who is say 6-11, but all those 11 losses came to World Class fighters. The tricky mufuckas who have losing records, but win when they're not supposed to.

Let's just say you're going to see out of him some things that no Southpaw has ever REALLY done before. And by done I mean effectively.
Thats a very bold statement.:icon_lol:

As of right now, projected date for Pro debut is summer of 2016. Right now we're focused on Golden Gloves. I think all 3 of them and possibly Bleu could win a State Title. Beyond that is Regionals and Nationals. Daijon and Joseph DEFINITELY have a shot at Nationals. Next year I want to send them to most of the big tournaments in the U.S. PAL, Gene Lewis, etc. See if we can collect Titles. Then the beginning of 2016 we'll do the USA Nationals, then Golden Gloves again, turn Pro after that.

Its good to see you have big plans for your guys, looking forward to see how it turns out.

If everything goes as I have planned, we don't need to change anything when it's time to go Pro. We'll just need to adjust to the length of fights, and prepare for tougher opposition in-terms of when it comes time they fight a guy who is say 6-11, but all those 11 losses came to World Class fighters. The tricky mufuckas who have losing records, but win when they're not supposed to.
Yep, the pros are no joke, as you know. Having to go those extra rounds can be very taxing I imagine

Hi , sinister I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question, I think you can answer!!!....

There is a punch that both Sugar ray Robinson and ezzard charles throw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOu4...s&spfreload=10

at 3:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uml2xM3i1O8

at 0:52

I figured out its a shovel hook to the body but that hop they do , thats the trouble I have with the punch, do you know how to do exactly!?!?! thanks, in advanced

Looks like a simple slip + uppercut to the body to me. Combined with a step in.

Wow that Bandido decision was pure BS. One of the worst decisions Iv ever seen, I cant even see how the judges saw that. Do you think they are just stupid or corrupt or what?
All those hard clean LH's he landed, his opponents head visibly snapped back and the sound alone indicated a clean shot. Dont know wtf they were smoking.

Some judges value who is backing who up, so I guess that could be why. But clean shots landed should always be most important.

Also the big boys look good,but a long road ahead for them.

Would you say that Daijon and Bandito are your most pro ready guys ATM?

Wow that Bandido decision was pure BS. One of the worst decisions Iv ever seen, I cant even see how the judges saw that. Do you think they are just stupid or corrupt or what?
All those hard clean LH's he landed, his opponents head visibly snapped back and the sound alone indicated a clean shot. Dont know wtf they were smoking.

Some judges value who is backing who up, so I guess that could be why. But clean shots landed should always be most important.

Also the big boys look good,but a long road ahead for them.

Would you say that Daijon and Bandito are your most pro ready guys ATM?

Well, the thing about that is that we think the kid he fought is popular. He's not from Cali, he's from Kansas. But he seems well-known among the amateur circuit. One time here in Vegas, our Cuban up there fought a kid from Mayweather's Gym who word had it was already selected for the Olympic trials. Rolando knocked him down trice and almost through the ropes. No knockdown called, not even a lousy 8-count called. Decision to the other kid. The whole place booed. Even the other kid's trainer, who is very cool with Tocco's, told him: "Ay man, I don't care they gave you that decision, you just got yo' ass whooped."

So yes, corruption. Like I said they gave that kid Bandito smacked around the "Best Boxer" award. Say what!? It did wonders for his confidence, though. So that's what's important.

And yeah the big kids are just that, kids. Samurai Pete has only been with me about 4 months, and knew NOTHING when he started. Merqui's kid has more experience, but they don't get a lot of sparring because of their size and age. Most big guys that come in are grown men. Pete isn't an actual Heavyweight, by the time I get him going he's going to be either a super-middleweight or light heavyweight.

As for Pro ready, nah. Weird thing is, out of all the guys I currently train probably Cyclone Mike is the most "ready" to turn Pro. And that's even though Daijon might be able to get the better of him in sparring. This is because there's more to being a solid Pro than just having the skill for it. It's a ton of mental and emotional stress. Daijon and Joseph are still maturing as men. Mike is mature, and has the right style to walk through the low levels if matched properly. He's the least likely to cave under the pressure of it all. Plus, he has the great equalizer, a right hand that can liquify people. Daijon has gotten the better of the total rounds they've ever sparred, but he's also the one who has visited the floor on account of Mike's ability to hit. So has Loco, so had the MMA fighter I was putting up with who had a mouth, etc.

Last edited:
Thats got to just piss you off. What can you even do. He was snapping his opponents head back with clear.clean punches. That LH clearly hit the mark several times. What a joke.

Yes, HW is not a division you want to be in unless you really belong there. The least room for error, among all the divisions. You get put out easy. Those guys are still Green, im sure Pete's weight will come off easily with what you put him through.

Thats very high praise of Mike, look forward to seeing him in the pros.

The other night this happened:

Flash was going orthodox to help Keith out since he's preparing for his Pro debut. Well, technically both of them are. But it was still good work.

Looks like a simple slip + uppercut to the body to me. Combined with a step in.

thank you sinister at the risking of sounding dumb, do you mean a step in as in taking a step in or a "step in" like a type of move?

Taking a step.

The other night this happened:

Flash was going orthodox to help Keith out since he's preparing for his Pro debut. Well, technically both of them are. But it was still good work.

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing.

Guy in red is awfully good off those ropes, slippery, got gumby hips. Surprised at how he was getting full rotation out of those shots in tight with his back on the ropes vs chopping with them. Nonetheless, if he's going to fight a 4rd fight first for his pro debut he's good. The physicality of the other guy seemed to give him trouble later (Digger A vs Digger B) and he was getting caught clean far more often.

Sully, check out the previous videos as well. I always appreciate your perspective.

Meanwhile, Sharif also stopped by that night. I gotta say, in a World of shady mufuckas, this kid has always been true and I hope to see one of the proper titles around his waist soon (you can see me getting Bandito ready behind him):

Alright, finally getting in here.

First, Bandito. It looks like that natural counter-puncher mentality is his undoing sometimes, as he spends a lot of time waiting and waiting for the perfect opportunity to attack, and throwing single shots. It seems like the further he gets from the initial counter, the more he feels like he's leading, and he loses confidence.

Looking at the Haney session, he got a little mesmerized by that stiff jab of Haney's, and sort of stood around waiting for it. That's not a terrible thing for a counter puncher, but he wasn't doing anything to make the jab come when he wanted it to. Early in the first round he was feinting and changing levels, but Haney got him to stop pretty quickly, and held onto the initiative himself.

You told him to go for the 1-2 as a counter, and I think that really helped him, though it took him a while to feel comfortable trying it. The reason is that, with Haney always going first, he had more than enough time to plan his attack, get in, and then get out. Seems like Bandito has it stuck in his head that he needs to defend the first attack and THEN counter, when I think it might be really beneficial for him to throw a few "stops" in there as well--hitting Haney AS he steps in with the jab. I have great faith in the catch & jab for finding the distance, but Haney was getting so confident just lunging forward with that jab, it might have helped Bandito to simply change levels and stick his own jab in the guy's belly.

He's definitely at his best when he plays with level changes. At 2:02 he got low, and when Haney started to get low with him he popped up with a really nice left uppercut. There's another pretty little sequence at 10:12 when he gets Haney to overcommit and lower his head, and drills him with two uppercuts in a row. He's also a lot harder to hit when he stays low. The problem is that he keeps popping up mid-combo and working his feet out of position.

I guess the biggest thing that stood out to me with this session is one that you mentioned yourself: confidence. Joseph just didn't seem to feel very confident. He would stand there and think "how am I going to stop what he wants to do next?" when it would be better to MAKE something happen that he already feels confident countering. Maybe it's just my "do-er" mentality talking here, but it always helps me to have a go-to move in mind. So when I get flustered are catch myself planning too much and not doing enough, I can always go back to a simple stop jab until I can get back into my rhythm.

As for the session against Corey, there's obvious improvement there. It doesn't seem like Corey packs quite as much pop in his jab as Haney did in his, but then Corey also seems to be a lot better with his combinations, and just has more tricks to deal with.

It didn't start off so great. At 0:40 Bandito came in way too tall and walked right into a jab, but he warmed to his work pretty quickly. I liked the little hop-step hook that he fired off the roll at 0:58. Corey was asking for a short right over the top to follow that up, but you mentioned that yourself. Once he gets his combinations going I think Bandito will feel a lot more confident in his counters, but it's going to take some focus on staying low and moving his feet carefully before he feels comfortable.

Sharp contrast between his two hooks at 5:24 and 5:32. The first one was brilliant. Great weight transfer, and I'm sure that's exactly what you're going for with him, since you mentioned earlier in the thread that you wanted to get him punching while pulling his head back. There was no follow-up to that shot, as you noted from the corner, but the very next sequence kind of indicates why: Bandito throws one punch, pops up tall, and gets hit with a counter. And then he keeps throwing with his knees unbent and his feet square. It just seems like he's going to struggle with putting those combos together until he can get himself to not only GET low, but STAY low, even when throwing four or more punches together.

The confidence in the Corey session made Bandito especially coachable, which I liked to see. One highlight was when you called for "head position!" at about 9:42 and he listened, and then immediately capitalized with two punches. He obviously sees the openings when they're there, and when his foundations feel sound, he feels confident enough to really go after them, with beautiful results.

13:20 was fantastic. I loved the way that he stayed connected to Corey as he backed up. That's a level of forward-fighting that I haven't seen in any of Joseph's other videos. And then, in the last thirty seconds of the session, suddenly his right hand was landing all over the place. It's funny, because he lands that right almost every time he throws it, but he doesn't seem to feel confident in throwing it. It looked like he finally felt comfortable and fell into his rhythm at the end of the session, and his right was sending Corey's head back over and over. That's a really strong indication of just how much potential he has.

I'll come back later with some notes on Samurai Pete.

Sully, check out the previous videos as well. I always appreciate your perspective.

Meanwhile, Sharif also stopped by that night. I gotta say, in a World of shady mufuckas, this kid has always been true and I hope to see one of the proper titles around his waist soon (you can see me getting Bandito ready behind him):

Seems like a good guy. Is he close to the top?

He broke the top 10 With the Beltran win, though inactivity since the Abril fight undid that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back