What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff.
Although I cant tell them apart, they both look the same.:wink:

Oh lord, did I not specify enough?

Aw man I wish I had a guy with a cool name like "samurai Pete" to work with. Him and the other guy look like they are new but taking it seriously. How many fights do those guys have? Like Disciplus, I wish the video of them was longer to watch more of their session. Fun to gauge what newer competitors are up to.

Daijon's development is really remarkable. He's just finishing up his second year of training if I remember correctly? I'm guessing he's going to be entering tournaments in the "open" division now? And that's a hard session against a good guy who is ready to go pro. Daijon's style is so fun to watch, I wish I had that kind of head movement. Glad to see he's been taking his training seriously at his young age he really looks like someone who can do some big things if he stays on the path.

@Disciplus: I'm in a similar situation in that my sparring is extremely limited at the moment. These heavyweights just fall off like fucking flies and don't want to work for some reason. I have a trainer out here I really like but my last gym in Minnesota is like Heavyweight University compared to where I'm at now. My sparring options in my weight class are two guys who are technically 201+ but both about 5'9" and would be in a lower weight class if they were in shape. Not gym rats. One of them sparred for their first time ever in life against me last week, the other has only sparred 6-7 times so it's just been light work. Then I have the 75+ fight, multiple amateur tournament winner who beat Shane Mosley's son at 165 last year but is walking around at about 195 right now and doesn't plan to compete again. First time we sparred he was just trying to finish me, I was so winded all I could do was look at him and laugh, I was taking such an ass whooping and not learning anything. I spoke to him the next day and he actually apologized and said he was upset about something that happened at his job. Was interesting to see up close just how tough these tournament winning amateurs are. Anyways that was just a rant to say "I feel where you're coming from" and it's hard to feel improvement when you don't have the right sparring partners.

Aw man I wish I had a guy with a cool name like "samurai Pete" to work with. Him and the other guy look like they are new but taking it seriously. How many fights do those guys have? Like Disciplus, I wish the video of them was longer to watch more of their session. Fun to gauge what newer competitors are up to.

Daijon's development is really remarkable. He's just finishing up his second year of training if I remember correctly? I'm guessing he's going to be entering tournaments in the "open" division now? And that's a hard session against a good guy who is ready to go pro. Daijon's style is so fun to watch, I wish I had that kind of head movement. Glad to see he's been taking his training seriously at his young age he really looks like someone who can do some big things if he stays on the path.

Well, Pete gave us no choice with that hair of his. I'll have that session up within the next couple of days. It was 3 rounds between those two. Pete and Jesse have 0 fights. They're still fairly green by Tocco's' standards.

Yeah, Daijon's at the end of his second year and rounding off a lot of rough edges. I still see the same questionable kid I always saw, but now with more tools. He went to Mayweather's Gym and beat the fuck out of some dude today. He and two of my others are headed to a tournament tomorrow in Chula Vista, so he might return a tournament champion. You could have the movement, you need the HIP-movement to make it happen.

Alright, so that session with Devin, like I said Bandito wasn't functioning on that level quite yet. That session started it, couple of days later he sparred a Pro who had a lot of amateur fights, and then he had this session with a kid here in Vegas who fights at 123, and has about 140 fights. Here's how that went, and now you can see Bandito at the top of his game currently:

He went to Mayweather's Gym and beat the fuck out of some dude today. He and two of my others are headed to a tournament tomorrow in Chula Vista, so he might return a tournament champion. You could have the movement, you need the HIP-movement to make it happen.
Wow you have him spar the day before the tournament? How did it go ? Well I hope. Have you ever put together any videos on drills to practice hip movement?

Wow you have him spar the day before the tournament? How did it go ? Well I hope. Have you ever put together any videos on drills to practice hip movement?

Not the day before the tournament, tournament is Friday, last sparring was Wednesday. And the tile exercise is the beginning of hip-movement.

I'm not going with them to the tournament, but it's being filmed. They are going to be cornered by Flash's trainer John, and Billy Moore. Yes THAT Billy Moore, son of Archie who trained a few champions himself.

where is the tournament at? im from cv and might possibly check it out to see some of your guys.

I don't remember the name of the Gym. But it's the "Boxers for Christ" National tournament.

Not the day before the tournament, tournament is Friday, last sparring was Wednesday. And the tile exercise is the beginning of hip-movement.

I'm not going with them to the tournament, but it's being filmed. They are going to be cornered by Flash's trainer John, and Billy Moore. Yes THAT Billy Moore, son of Archie who trained a few champions himself.

Man seems like your gym always has people with a long boxing lineage around. Good luck to your guys I'm looking forward to seeing the footage if you get it up. I need to review that tile exercise again.

Well, Billy is based out of San Diego. He's not of our Gym, but he's best friends with John since they were kids. John learned how to box from Archie. So yes, still true even though Billy is a San Diego guy.

Hey Connor, here's the sparring of the chunky boys:

EDIT** - Should be noted that was Pete's second actual sparring session, ever.

And here's another of the full sessions from that night:

That kid Alex is trained by Osvaldo "El Torito" Garcia, our resident Cuban trainer who was a National Amateur Champ in Cuba. Kid has gotten way better over the last year.

Last edited:
Hey Connor, here's the sparring of the chunky boys:

EDIT** - Should be noted that was Pete's second actual sparring session, ever.

And here's another of the full sessions from that night:

That kid Alex is trained by Osvaldo "El Torito" Garcia, our resident Cuban trainer who was a National Amateur Champ in Cuba. Kid has gotten way better over the last year.

That session with Alex and Bandito is sweet. I see why you call him your mini Marquez, his counters off that inside slip are on point. He did great with those in the first round, Alex wasn't even willing to take his right hand away from his guard after his jab for most of that round. I also thought he looked great in round 3, even though he was the shorter guy on the outside Alex was the one who was having trouble with distance. Beautiful head movement, especially when he slipped that double jab to both sides. Alex looked very good too though, his mechanics especially impressed me (as did Bandito's, dem hips).

Ha, Pete looked better than some guys I've met who have been sparring for years!

Now that someone posted in here I can add some things by request. Jaja, don't want to seem like I'm posting to myself.

But about Pete, thing is I make sure my guys are COMFORTABLE at least to some degree before throwing them in. Something that is a bit backwards about me than other trainers, I find. But I'm sure some of you are curious about the tournament Daijon and Joseph were preparing for, as well as Jonathan (Loco). Loco lost, ref stopped it in the 3rd. But he fought a valiant effort against a much bigger and more experienced guy, and never stopped going forward. The ref waved it off. Lesson learned there is we're going to keep him down in weight instead of flirting with the division higher. That was something he had to learn himself.

Daijon won. So he now has a National Title. Here's that bout:

Joseph got robbed big-time. THEY said he came in .4lbs over. This was on the last day, he said the two prior days some guys came in a lb or 2 over and got like 45 mins to run it off. They didn't allow him to run it off at all. Automatic DQ. Then they said he could still fight, but would not get the title. He chose to fight, check it out:

Yeah, so as far as I'm concerned he's an uncrowned National Champion. The real comedy is that they gave the kid he fought the trophy for "best boxer"...after everyone saw that fight. Left many heads shaking.

Then we had our resident goofy Cuban kid who also brought home a Title:

Letting those hands go nicely. good speed and accuracy.

1324dfd733535e58dba70264e6d05c9b70346204d2cacef65abef9c702746d1c.jpg

Also very nice Camera work.

Its professional camera work. A couple guys are making a documentary about the Gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back