1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.

What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Sinister, Feb 24, 2014.

1. zapataxiv Red Belt

Right I thought 114% of fights went to the ground.

2. eternaldarkness Red Belt

Start in the sky and end on the ground. Oh wait, I'm thinking of fighter planes.

3. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

MarcAnthony teaching the 2019 Wisconsin Golden Gloves Champ that Vegas ain't Wisiconsin:

4. kenji goh Blue Belt

MarcAnthony seems unstoppable lately!
    February was a great month for you.
    We went from commenting on his sparring here on Sherdog, to watching him becoming one and beating other state champions in a matter of days.
    What's the next goal for him?

5. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Regionals. If he wins he can go to Nationals. If he wins that then it's a very good marker for him. Summer we're going to get him down to Heavywight (201), which is Cruiser in the Pros. When he debuts in National Qualifiers possibly this fall, that's where I want him.

Dont let that fight fool you, that guy is terrible. And MarcAnthony let some things happen that I didnt like. That guy won the Wisconsin Gloves on a miracle, his opponent beat the shit out of him for a round and a half. But he was severely gassed and Gunnar just winged a haymaker at him. Big boy fell and just didnt get back up. But if he had conditioning he would have finished Gunnar off too. My only satisfaction is that he deleted his FB page after saying a bunch of shit about how he couldnt lose this fight, and how hes gonna be a remarkable Pro by the end of the year...etc.

6. Cole train Silver Belt

How old is marcanthony

Just asking for hell of it

7. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

8. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Well this escalated quickly:

9. eternaldarkness Red Belt

I like the way your fighters maintain and build pressure. Good defense, footwork and the combination of high volume body punching a technically solid straights provides their opponents with a lot to deal with. They look better the longer the fights go as well.

10. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Thank you. It's weird because my first crop were mainly defensive counter-punchers. When we parted ways, I was left with my mainly aggressive fighters so I really had to refine my ability to teach responsible aggression. It's not easy getting them to understand how to walk right into the wood-chipper without gassing or getting chopped up too bad.

11. eternaldarkness Red Belt

I have been trying to explain to some people how much harder it is to remain defensively responsible, moving forward as opposed to backwards. I actually think that aggressive fighters frequently get underrated defensively as they get hit more forcing the action. It shows solid skills for your fighters to move forward and remain defensively sound.

12. eternaldarkness Red Belt

I was always a defensive counter puncher, with reasonable power, but of recent years I have been forced to be more aggressive. I went from hardly getting hit, to walking into everything, so I have a lot more respect for the skills involved in aggressive boxing.

13. SandisLL Brown Belt

In all arts not only boxe defense with counterstriking comes well together with following offense.
    Of course if opponent is enough impacted by counterstriking to excetute following attack with less risk.

14. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm helping bare knuckle fighter Christine Farea prepare for her upcoming Title fight:

15. RabbitPunch36 Blue Belt

Thats awesome. What was her training history before bare knuckle boxing was she an ammy boxer?

16. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Muay Thai and MMA. But if we click I plan to give her some unusual skills that cater to bare knuckle boxing as a craft itself.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  17. StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

That's interesting. Can you tell us a bit more about the specificity of bare-knuckle training as opposed to regular boxing training?

18. zapataxiv Red Belt

I remember you mentioned it on here before about how if you were going to have a BK person you would make a system for BK rukesets.
    I have wondered how different it is from say old school bochinche with horsehair gloves and clinching being a bigger/ more accepted part of the sport.

Also what about crab and philly she’ll are those styles more appropriate for bk?

19. DoctorTaco Breadhead

thats exciting man, congrats

20. Lucas Coradini Blue Belt Professional Fighter

Awesome! Just makes sense overall. How she find about you? I mean, does it have anything to do with all the knowledge about old school boxing you've shared here?

I hope everything clicks and she kicks ass in her next bout