What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
"These kids are about to die" hahah.

Love the resourcefulness in these times.

Give us an update on your squad when you can! I wonder if any of the regular characters are still around... Mike, Daijon, Christian.

You still close to the Iceland folks?

Yes, very much so. But only Kolli still fights.

Mike is in Texas, working to become a coach. Daijon switched coaches and is, well, different now. And his coach left our Gym. Christian is still at Tocco's but also switched coaches but we're cool with each other.

Joseph is an undefeated Pro (in Tijuana tho), but that kid went full diva on me. Walks around telling people I'm the worst coach he ever had lol

He and Daijon moved in together.

Mike is in Texas, working to become a coach.

That's great! Damn, it's been so long... I remember circa 2012/13 we used to chat a lot about how to kick from a rear leg biased stance lol good old days. I also remember the last news from him were that he wanted to have a pro boxing fight. Did that happen?

Still alive y'all. It looks like the gym is going to survive the plague, but it almost didnt.
how ya doin Nestro? how did yall stay open during the lockdowns? here yall doing the Zoom hustle too?

good to see you back !

my last year was crazy too! since you been gone i had my second son

how ya doin Nestro? how did yall stay open during the lockdowns? here yall doing the Zoom hustle too?

good to see you back !

my last year was crazy too! since you been gone i had my second son

I'm back-ish. We shut down for almost 5 months, and I had to assemble a financial team to keep the owner from giving up. During the shutdown we trained at my house. No zoom.

Congrats on the Son. My little one has become more interested in boxing lately. He turns 5 Saturday

I'm back-ish. We shut down for almost 5 months, and I had to assemble a financial team to keep the owner from giving up. During the shutdown we trained at my house. No zoom.

Congrats on the Son. My little one has become more interested in boxing lately. He turns 5 Saturday
nice myoldest (3) watched two rounds of Pedraza vs Olivares with me the other day honestly on of the happiest moments of my life <Lmaoo>

glad to hear that you made it and helped the gym pull through.
the gods on mount pugilism will bless you for your dedication.

i have been learning a ton bout how the brain works and how it relates to teaching. when i get my computer fixed id love to bend your ear!
typing that out on my vivo keypad is hell

He got it in his head that he needed to become an aggressive fighter. So he does throw more now, but he also gets hit 3x more.
That's also the impression I got from watching his training videos on Facebook. He looks more agressive and heavy-handed but less elusive. Also, most of his training nowadays seems to be mittwork, which wasn't the case when he was with you iirc.

While I think he might be losing his strongest asset, which is the ability to nullify his opponents' offense, being gun-shy did cost him a lot of decisions in the past. Whether those losses were justified or not, I'm thinking maybe he doesn't want them to happen again. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
That's also the impression I got from watching his training videos on Facebook. He looks more agressive and heavy-handed but less elusive. Also, most of his training nowadays seems to be mittwork, which wasn't the case when he was with you iirc.

While I think he might be losing his strongest asset, which is the ability to nullify his opponents' offense, being gun-shy did cost him a lot of decisions in the past. Whether those losses were justified or not, I'm thinking maybe he doesn't want them to happen again. Your thoughts?

Well, he just lost a tournament in Utah (soft territory) so...

nice myoldest (3) watched two rounds of Pedraza vs Olivares with me the other day honestly on of the happiest moments of my life <Lmaoo>

glad to hear that you made it and helped the gym pull through.
the gods on mount pugilism will bless you for your dedication.

i have been learning a ton bout how the brain works and how it relates to teaching. when i get my computer fixed id love to bend your ear!
typing that out on my vivo keypad is hell

Absolutely on bending my ear.

My oldest. Filmed by bareknuckle fighter Christine Farea:

I will say this. Sometimes things are blessings in disguise. A lot of my fighters would compare themselves to the "talent boys" of group and Jonny was one of them. Always measuring himself against Daijon, Joseph, etc. Daijon always did the heavy lifting with tough sparring so when he left it fell on Jonny. Well that worked out to be exactly what Jonny needed and lately he's been making Pros quit and looking particularly tankish. This is the last round against a local Pro who had twice the amateur experience. He's faster and more skilled on paper, and you'll see what he had to resort to just to get a breather from Jonny's pressure:

Absolutely on bending my ear.

My oldest. Filmed by bareknuckle fighter Christine Farea:

Thats awesome
Your kid looks good. You trying to train him yourself or go hands off?
Rodrigo is looking good got that that pandemic beard

Loco is looking real solid. He was marching that dude around and had him falling all over the place and throwing ball shots... is Marco Antonio still around the crew?

Last edited:
Joseph is an undefeated Pro (in Tijuana tho), but that kid went full diva on me. Walks around telling people I'm the worst coach he ever had lol

He and Daijon moved in together.

Kind of sad and nonsensical. How can someone be a good boxer when he had the "worst coach possible". Not put much thought into it I guess. I am all for changing gyms to learn new things and jump into cold water but that can be done with respecting the old coaching staff and members. I liked to watch him box. Very talented guy.

Hope your gym survives.

Kind of sad and nonsensical. How can someone be a good boxer when he had the "worst coach possible". Not put much thought into it I guess. I am all for changing gyms to learn new things and jump into cold water but that can be done with respecting the old coaching staff and members. I liked to watch him box. Very talented guy.

Hope your gym survives.
"Worst coach he's ever had" does not mean "worst coach possible". If the only coaches Joseph has ever had are Luis and Emanuel Steward, it's very possible that Luis is the "worst coach he's ever had".

That being said, I'm sure Luis' falling-out with Joseph and Daijon has less to do with the quality of his coaching and more to do with the fact they were not treated like the stars they thought they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back