Whatever Happened to Johny Hendricks?

SilvasFoot

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Was looking over Friday's card when I remembered that Johny is actually slated to be in action that night. I remember his two performances against Robbie Lawler being pretty good, and then all of a sudden he shows up to the Stephen Thompson without any type of movement whatsoever, and hasn't looked the same since. Is it the more stringent blood testing? Did that last robbery against Lawler steal Johny's fighting spirit as well? What happened to this guy?

'Member the Fitch KO?

Neither can I. Seems like twenty years ago.

Steak and shit happened, steak and burgers

I guess he felt robbed against GSP and lawler, lost his love for the game after that and is mainly in for a paycheck. At least thats what it seems like. He never looked like a guy on PEDs but who knows.

It's a good question.

I don't know exactly what it was. He looked a little flat in that Thompson stoppage. It was a nightmare match for his style, but he looked too methodical. I expected his striking to be more dynamic and urgent.

His lack of ability in controlling his diet may be a sign his mind may not be in the right place.

It's like ever since the Robbie wars, he said screw it, and stayed at 70%.

He lost that urgency, and "100%" he used to have, and fight with.

In all seriousness it could be a million different things but a combination of moving camps, weight fluctuations throughout his entire life not just UFC career takes it toll, he's had some real wars, Condit, Lawler etc, and the sport is consistently evolving and his style hasn't evolved with it.

10 rounds of Robbie Lawler punches might have had something to do with it.

He left his old camp, had a business venture fail, and I think his body just isn't cooperating much anymore (not helped by, and possibly in part due to, his love for fast food). That's a good equation to end up where he's at now.

Something about him changed way back around the time he fought GSP. When he knocked out Kampman and Fitch he had way better movement. Now he looks slow and flat footed which is why Thompson picked him apart so easily.

It's a good question.

I don't know exactly what it was. He looked a little flat in that Thompson stoppage. It was a nightmare match for his style, but he looked too methodical. I expected his striking to be more dynamic and urgent.

His lack of ability in controlling his diet may be a sign his mind may not be in the right place.
Watching what Woodley did to WB, Johnny should have been a nightmare match up for WB. I just think USADA hurt, not that he was on steroids, but I think he took diuretics to help with the weight cut.

Plus he left team takedown right after the second Robbie fight if I remember right and started training on his own. That definitely hurts not having real coaches/trainers.

Plus being a husband and a father of 3 can't help while being a professional savage and running a restaurant.

Was looking over Friday's card when I remembered that Johny is actually slated to be in action that night. I remember his two performances against Robbie Lawler being pretty good, and then all of a sudden he shows up to the Stephen Thompson without any type of movement whatsoever, and hasn't looked the same since. Is it the more stringent blood testing? Did that last robbery against Lawler steal Johny's fighting spirit as well? What happened to this guy?
USADA

Just not committed to being the best he can anymore

The same thing that happened to Weidman, Vitor And so many others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back