What would you do?

Chaseg1520

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So my MMA instructor, even though he is a good martial artist, knows absolutely nothing about lifting. Anyways, we are moving our school from our current location to a larger building. I told my instructor that if we did this then I would be willing to pitch in and buy an oly weight set.

We get talking about lifting and he is talking about wanting to get a smith machine and goes on about different types of curls and what not, so now I am like wtf? So I try to give some advice from what I have learned on this forum and he completely ignores it and sometimes tells me I am wrong, saying stuff like, "If you don't curl that much then how do you hit your biceps hard?" So what do you guys do when you have people like this that just don't listen? I am not about do sit around and do nothing while he gives some students the wrong lifting advice...

So my MMA instructor, even though he is a good martial artist, knows absolutely nothing about lifting. Anyways, we are moving our school from our current location to a larger building. I told my instructor that if we did this then I would be willing to pitch in and buy an oly weight set.

We get talking about lifting and he is talking about wanting to get a smith machine and goes on about different types of curls and what not, so now I am like wtf? So I try to give some advice from what I have learned on this forum and he completely ignores it and sometimes tells me I am wrong, saying stuff like, "If you don't curl that much then how do you hit your biceps hard?" So what do you guys do when you have people like this that just don't listen? I am not about do sit around and do nothing while he gives some students the wrong lifting advice...

Ask him why he wants to hit his biceps hard. All he can answer is male vanity.

if he really gives a shit, point him to the site. Telling someone is just an argument waitin to happen. Let them read.

Worry about yourself and once everyone with big biceps realize they are getting tossed around, they might think twice

Challenge him to some kind of strength competition.

Ask him why he wants to hit his biceps hard. All he can answer is male vanity.

if he really gives a shit, point him to the site. Telling someone is just an argument waitin to happen. Let them read.

Yeah I thought about giving him stuff to read... but as we all know, for every article for us, there is one against us and he is one of those who will use that... I don't know, maybe people like him just can't be beaten and should just be left to their curls and smith machine squats/bench press.

Challenge him to some kind of strength competition.

You know what lol. That is actually a good idea... I am not very strong but I KNOW that I am stronger than he is. I wonder if he would accept though?

Yeah I thought about giving him stuff to read... but as we all know, for every article for us, there is one against us and he is one of those who will use that... I don't know, maybe people like him just can't be beaten and should just be left to their curls and smith machine squats/bench press.

thus the old sayin- You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Show him the water.

This guy is a mma instructor and he dosen't know anything about weight training for fighters?

Ignore the strength competition, that doesn't prove anything. I've met people who train improperly who are stronger than me and people who train better than me who are weaker. Genetics plays too much of a role there.

why didn't you just respond with "Oh, i usually do heavy pullups and rows"

why didn't you just respond with "Oh, i usually do heavy pullups and rows"

Haha... you know whats funny. I said that EXACT sentence. Word for word. And he gave me a funny look and went on about curls being necessary...

Buy the oly bar and some bumper plates.

Start lifting at the dojo.

Get stronger and more athletic.

The intelligent fighters will see the improvements and follow your lead.

The dummies will do curls.

You can't win this so don't try.

Just lead by example and dominate on the weights and on the mat.

As long as you can get the oly set in there, who cares what else he fills it up with?

Trying to argue with someone that unwilling to listen is pointless. He has to eventually see how stupid he was on his own.

Alternatively, you could give him the link to this thread.

This guy's an instructor and (I assume) a paid instructor, so in his mind he's got his credibility and his livelihood at stake in this argument.

Which means you've gotta tougher row to hoe than if this was just some friend you were trying to educate.

My thinking is, just do your best to get the Oly set there, do the lifting you want to do, and keep your mouth shut. You don't want to louse up your relationship with your instructor over this. He may eventually come around to your way of thinking but you have to let him do it on his own.

My thinking is, just do your best to get the Oly set there, do the lifting you want to do, and keep your mouth shut. You don't want to louse up your relationship with your instructor over this. He may eventually come around to your way of thinking but you have to let him do it on his own.

+MF ONE.

Who gives a shit how your instructor lifts. If he can toss you around on the mat, he probably doesn't think he needs to lift for strength how you do.

I, in no way, mean to be a cynic, but the majority of people at your gym will just bench and curl with that oly set. Buy it, and leave everyone be.

slap an armbar on him and see if he curls out of it

Worry about yourself and once everyone with big biceps realize they are getting tossed around, they might think twice

the best advice. dont challenge a martial arts instructor to anything... ever

Back