What would you do?

this sort of makes me grateful my instructor does deadlifts and the good stuff.

Buy the oly bar and some bumper plates.

Start lifting at the dojo.

Get stronger and more athletic.

The intelligent fighters will see the improvements and follow your lead.

The dummies will do curls.

You can't win this so don't try.

Just lead by example and dominate on the weights and on the mat.

Word.

As usual TheNerdking gave you good advice.

There is little point arguing with someone who is sure they are right and will not allow their point of view to be challenged. I sometimes come across people that tell me my training is wrong or dangerous or unnecessary. If I think I can intelligently discuss with them why they think that, then I will state my case for training the way I do and use reason, experience and training studies or research articles to give weight to my training principles.

But there are other times (more often then not) that I simply say nothing and let them do what they want.

You can't win this so don't try.

Just lead by example and dominate on the weights and on the mat.

But there are other times (more often then not) that I simply say nothing and let them do what they want.

Yup.

He will claim he is right until the end of time...unless he sees the errors in his philosophy.

Do your own thing.

This guy is a mma instructor and he dosen't know anything about weight training for fighters?
I taught martial arts for years without knowing anything about weight training. It is not unusual at all and is probably true in most sports.

Like many are saying, if he doesn't want to listen then you will never be able to convince him. Most times in cases like this I would say it is best to walk away. However, in this case you have a chance to get a nice gym in your dojo. So it is probably worth a little effort to try to convince him.

How you approach him depends on what kind of vibe he is giving you. If he is threatened by your advice, then you have a tough road ahead. But if he is an open minded guy you have a better chance. A good start would be to organize and print out some quality articles that back up your arguments. Showing him some inspirational training videos would help too, maybe you can dig up some training footage of an MMA guy he respects doing some strength training.

Yeah he gets pretty threatened by my advice because he is one to be stubborn on issues which he thinks he knows more about... so I guess the general consensus is to do my own lifting and help others with good advice as much as I can and just hope the instructor learns someday.

Thanks for the help guys. I have to admit that I absolutely hate closed minded individuals who argue their point till the death whether they are right or wrong so I was absolutely pissed last night coming home. After listening to all your advice I feel much better about it all now though...

If you're buying a nice oly set, make sure that there's a place that the set can be secured so as not to be desecrated by curl monkeys. Seriously, if you're buying an eleiko set, you'll want to protect your investment. Some fucktards at my gym broke 4 invanko bars over the past year or so being idiots. Let them power curl with the chrome plated $80 bars.

If he is a clam, then find a different place to lift.

Well that is not the problem in my eyes. I lift at a gym right now and could just stay there, but I was just going to do this so I could lift whenever I wanted(I will have a key to the school) and at the same time I would be able to give a little advice to the complete lifting beginners.

Edit: Although it seems that I may have to consider just lifting at my current gym...

Well that is not the problem in my eyes. I lift at a gym right now and could just stay there, but I was just going to do this so I could lift whenever I wanted(I will have a key to the school) and at the same time I would be able to give a little advice to the complete lifting beginners.

Edit: Although it seems that I may have to consider just lifting at my current gym...

Just do your own thing and don't mind him

My short list of "tasks easier to accomplish than to try to convince most people that bicep/curls have little to do with lifting/strength.

1. Solving the Middle East Crisis
2. Completing understanding what females want
3. Hoping for a good television program on Sunday evening
4. Getting Rikki Lake to fit in any"off the rack" sized clothing
5. Reading a T-mag mag article that does not push a nutrition product

6. Giving a rabid badger a rectal examination.

If you're buying a nice oly set, make sure that there's a place that the set can be secured so as not to be desecrated by curl monkeys. Seriously, if you're buying an eleiko set, you'll want to protect your investment. Some fucktards at my gym broke 4 invanko bars over the past year or so being idiots. Let them power curl with the chrome plated $80 bars.

how did they break them? just curious

Back