What would Cain do when Jones stopped his TDs?

giphy.gif

THAT guy is the "baddest man on the planet" ... :D

If this fight were to somehow take place with both guys healthy at their curgent skill levels, I cannot imagine Jones beating Cain. At even money I would be willing to bet everything I have and could accumulate of value on Cain winning.
Easy to say though since there isn't a chance in the world of this fight happening during both men's primes. Too bad.
Jones wants to be the unanimous GOAT? Take fights at HW vs JDS and Cain. Beat those two savages, and take the HW belt. If he thinks he could do it, then why not try and leave a legacy that can't be debated?

Jones says that but I think he and his team are smart, they will wait to see Cain declining possibly. Cain is taller, longer, heavier and has much better cardio than Cormier.

Here are some stats from their fights.

Jones vs Cormier: Jones threw 215 strikes and attempted 5 takedowns.

Dos Santos vs Velasquez 2: Cain threw 339 strikes and attempted 33 takedowns.

Velasquez vs Dos Santos 3: Cain threw 378 strikes and attempted 13 takedowns.

Now I know fighting isn't just about work rate, but that says a lot. Jones has issues with intelligent pressure, Cormier showed that. Cain is the best at pressuring intelligently.

It would be a tough fight but I see Cain beating Jones, either by decision or late round stoppage.

I posted this in another thread and to answer you TS Cain would keep throwing strikes. He'd be constantly mixing it up. Jones was very impressive against Cormier, not because he dominated but because of how he adjusted later in the fight.

But Cain is a beast, he'd be too much for Jones and to be fair he is too much for everyone at the moment.

To answer your question, TS, I believe he would shoot again. Cain Velasquez is of the "if at first your don't succeed, try try and try again" mentality when it comes to his takedowns. I think he shot 11 takedowns in UFC 155 against JDS. The crazy thing is he seems to have unlimited cardio. I think Jones ability to counter off the backfoot that he showed tonight could cause huge problems for Cain because he typically rushes in with the same combination to get a takedown, leaving himself open in the process.

Cain is a lot better striker and pressure fighter than DC. He will let his hands go more and will also not gas.

I see cain just grinding bones down.

Cain kickboxing is elite he would get the takedown he does not stop

Many people thought that DC's wrestling would be enough to put Jones on his back. After a hard won fight it was Jones who was putting DC on his back and he did it more than once. I said that DC would lose to Jones but could still beat Cain, and I still believe that. However, this is Jones we are talking about. I thought his Fight IQ, reach, athleticism, skill, and other abilities and having Greg Jackson as his coach would make the difference. Jone's great Fight IQ and having Jackson as a coach can't be underestimated. Jackson made a great gameplan for Jones against Glover and we saw how that worked. It helps that Jones can actually carry out Jackson's gameplan also, just like GSP could.

People say that Cain's pace, cardio, wrestling, and stamina will easily carry him to victory over Jones. They said similar things about DC minus the cardio and stamina.

However, Cain is a lot like DC and many other fighters. Looks great when he's dominating, but we don't know how he'll look when he isn't. The one time Cain wasn't dominating he was lying facedown on the mat, so you can't tell how he'd handle not having his way. Obviously we saw DC looked when he wasn't dominating. He appeared to slow down, gas, and appeared to break in the 3rd round. Cain has looked tired before, when he was fighting JDS, so it is possible to tire Cain out, just like anyone else.

So, Cain looks great when he's dominating and having his way with his opponents, it helps his cardio when he's imposing his will. Your cardio can take a hit when you're the one who's on the losing end.

But what happens when Jones stops Cain's TDs and even puts Cain on his back? Cain's never been on his back long enough for someone to work him over. Lesnar put Cain down but Cain popped right back up again. Cain's cardio might look different if he has Jones hitting him with body shots, knees, kicks, and elbows wearing him down like he work DC down.

Everyone who talks about Cain beating Jones explains the fight going with the narrative of Cain steamrolling Jones and not facing any adversity. It could be a ver different fight if Cain's on his back or Cain can't get the TD and impose his will. We might then see Cain's vaunted cardio start to wear down.

Cain is said to have great Fight IQ but I'm not sure if that's been proven. He does the same thing every fight. Strikes to TD, wear down with GnP, rinse and repeat to victory. He's never had to really do anything different than that.

Also, I think DC has a better chin then Cain. I think Cain has a good chin with great recovery, I just don't think he has a granite chin like Big Nog or Hendo and that Jones could hurt him bad or stun him with a strike, especially with a close elbow in the clinch. And Jon Jones has great killer instinct, if he see Cain hurt he'll go for the submission finish quickly and end it rather then the exact wrong reaction like Kongo when he was dropping Cain. Cain's chin could be what is his downfall after repeated strikes from Jones accumulate. Being rocked once can change the outcome of a fight, look at Couture vs. Sylvia. If Jones hurts Cain in the fight it could change the course of the fight or set the tempo for rest of the fight. Cain's reach is 77", Jones is 84.5", that's a 7.5" reach advantage for Jones and if used correctly could keep Cain at bay.

I don't think they would fight at HW since Jones doesn't seem to want to do that but a catchweight fight could happen.

So what happens in a Jones vs. Cain fight when Cain can't get the TD?

What happens?? Cain got 11 out 33 takedowns vs JDS 2 in which JDS got up every time....the 3rd fight Cain got 2 of 13 takedowns...again JDS got right back up and was only taken down twice.

Both fights Cain beat the living s#$t out of JDS.....

There is your answer.

No way Cain has cardio advantage, but also DC had to cut weight for the fight i believe if they fought at heavyweight jones wouldnt be taking down DC.

If this fight went down It would go somewhat like this.. Jon would say a lot of sly, snobby ass comments during the build up to the fight. Cain would remain silent. Then when the Cage shuts and the fight is about to start Cain will give Jon an intense look.. Jon will get shook and give the "Oh Shit" look.. Then Cain will go primal on his ass. Then when the fight is over and Jon is battered, bruised, vulnerable and humiliated Cain will come over to him look him in the eye, shake his hand and say "You'll be back champ".. And that will be that!

To answer your question, TS, I believe he would shoot again. Cain Velasquez is of the "if at first your don't succeed, try try and try again" mentality when it comes to his takedowns. I think he shot 11 takedowns in UFC 155 against JDS. The crazy thing is he seems to have unlimited cardio. I think Jones ability to counter off the backfoot that he showed tonight could cause huge problems for Cain because he typically rushes in with the same combination to get a takedown, leaving himself open in the process.

Shooting all the time would leave him open to counters. Cain shoots a lot, that can leave him open for guillotines too. Not that he wouldn't be prepared for that. Plenty of times folks have been caught by things they practiced for.

And it's not like Jones is just going to stand there and continue to let Cain attempt TD's on him until he succeeds.

Cain would mix his shots up with surprise overhands, and would always keep pushing Jones backwards.

I think Cain is a better fighter than DC, and would beat if not dominate Jones.

If Cain couldn't get the take-down (which I believe he would at some point), I think he would out-strike Jones. He has nasty leg kicks, good boxing, good clinch work, rough ground-and-pound, and would strike his way in.

I believe overall that Cain is a better fighter than DC in every aspect other than pure wrestling, and I think his MMA wrestling might be better.

That's a hard night for Jones as I see it.

Cain also isn't short ... has good reach and cardio.

i want this fight so bad....

beat rumble/gus winner, then move up...

he could cement his title at ALL TIME MMA GOAT, and give the fans what they want.

and he should retire after.

Jones won't fight Cain anytime soon. Hell wait until Cain is past his prime and then decide to move up

Cain would not stop, he would get the TD. Cain is also much better than DC at everything. It's been said that Cain manhandles DC in training.

Back