What would be the top 5+ full mount escapes for a weak person in your opinion?

TommyHearns said:
This is very interesting about the turtle game. Whats the safest way to get to the turtle position without the opponent getting his hooks in, and also once you are in turtle position how do you safely escape?

First, there's a video called "The Turtle" by BJJ black belt Josh Russell (at the time of filming a brown I think) that is really worth getting, simply because there's really no pure turtle instructionals out there. http://www.sherdog.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=231
The video preaches the same "give up your back to avoid the mount" philosophy. Some Judo videos deal with turtle offense ("Vital Judo" by Okano has many of the same techniques as "The Turtle" video). I basically just study turtle offense like crazy. There is some sneaky shit you can do!

Defending against the hooks in is crucial and pretty difficult against some players. The rnc gets me every now and then too. I defend against hooks in by more or less keeping my elbows to my knees, or blocking (if possible) with my hands. My hands always stay around my neck to defend against the chokes.

We do this drill at my school which is basically assuming the turtle and the other guy simply works to get his hooks in or roll you over. We may spend a half hour doing this and switching out partners. You can defend for a long time. Developing your offense from the turtle is when it really starts to get interesting.

Bubble Boy said:
First, there's a video called "The Turtle" by BJJ black belt Josh Russell (at the time of filming a brown I think) that is really worth getting, simply because there's really no pure turtle instructionals out there. http://www.sherdog.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=231
The video preaches the same "give up your back to avoid the mount" philosophy. Some Judo videos deal with turtle offense ("Vital Judo" by Okano has many of the same techniques as "The Turtle" video). I basically just study turtle offense like crazy. There is some sneaky shit you can do!

I was thinking about getting Josh Russell's Turtle video. However, I've seen some really negative reviews about it. Basically a lot of people saying how many of the moves are unrealistic and are very low percentage. What do you think?

The turtle is something I'm really trying to work on and I'm really interested in some instructionals dealing with this position.

Give up your back to escape the mount? That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Would you do that in a street fight as well? My favorite mount escape is the foot drag.

First thing i do is as soon as i feel the opponent is about to take the mount turn to your side immediately, this makes the escape easier. If they mount you and have your back on the floor, you will spend more effort and energy trying to get out. With you on your side, you're already half way out. Work your bridge or hip escape or can pull guard from there.

BTW does all this stuff work no-gi? I have no interest in gi grappling im only interested in no-gi.

LuNoTiCK said:
Give up your back to escape the mount? That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Would you do that in a street fight as well?

Sakuraba and Fedor must be idiots then.

But, all snide comments aside LuNoTiCK, I'm talking mostly about pure bjj or judo here. And even then it's risky if you don't know what you are doing. No street or cage fighting stuff. However, a good turtle game is more dangerous than you might think. Some people work the turtle (or any "giving up the back" positioning) OFFENSIVELY. Sak does it all the time (to better effect in the olden days). He latches on that kimura hold and goes from there.

It's a speciality, met often with great resistance in the grappling world. As your post proves.

Bubble Boy said:
Sakuraba and Fedor must be idiots then.

But, all snide comments aside LuNoTiCK, I'm talking mostly about pure bjj or judo here. And even then it's risky if you don't know what you are doing. No street or cage fighting stuff. However, a good turtle game is more dangerous than you might think. Some people work the turtle (or any "giving up the back" positioning) OFFENSIVELY. Sak does it all the time (to better effect in the olden days). He latches on that kimura hold and goes from there.

It's a speciality, met often with great resistance in the grappling world. As your post proves.

Sakuraba has a very unique style of game which works for him, and Silva capitalized on that. Another thing is in MMA you're not allowed to strike to the back of the head, if people were allowed to do any strikes to the back of the head there would be very little turtling going on. If someone manages to get their hooks in you are in trouble. I think there are better ways of escaping the mount than turtling. It's true though, for BJJ you won't run into many problems turtling, worst case you will get submitted which happens to everyone.

you need to work the elbow escape from day one until you never get mounted. yes you're rolling with big dudes but atleast you know if you can work it on them you can work it on anyone.

you should be elbow escapeing before he has stablized his mount. its 10x easier and there you go. make it hell to mount you. it should be such of a pain and he should have to focus on keeping mount instead of going for subs. even if you dont escape, you didnt tap and you made him work for it.

it's like if you're about to end up in side control on bottom. you should have you hand positioning and defenses ready before he stablizes and you're working an escape or guard even if he just passed you.

Bubble Boy said:
We do this drill at my school which is basically assuming the turtle and the other guy simply works to get his hooks in or roll you over. We may spend a half hour doing this and switching out partners. You can defend for a long time. Developing your offense from the turtle is when it really starts to get interesting.

We just got a newaza only class going at Pedro's and we're doing this drill. Thanks for the link to the video, also.

1.- push at the hips, then shrimp out.
2.- bridge and roll.
3.- turn to one side, push with both hands on one knee, shrimp out to half guard.
4.- roll up and push both feet into each of his armpits then roll out from underneath.
5.- little bumps to make him lose base then either bridge or shrimp.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
I was thinking about getting Josh Russell's Turtle video. However, I've seen some really negative reviews about it. Basically a lot of people saying how many of the moves are unrealistic and are very low percentage. What do you think?

The turtle is something I'm really trying to work on and I'm really interested in some instructionals dealing with this position.

I can see why there would be negative reviews. In the beginning of the video he's introducing himself and he comes off as pretty cocky. The production value is pretty low also. But the content is interesting, and in my opinion makes it worth getting. There's nothing earth shattering in the techniques, but there is some sneaky shit. It's worth getting if you're interested in something else to do from the turtle other than just, well, turtling.

Cheney said:
I would suggest defending against the mount/not letting someone mount you. Either that or don't roll with someone so heavy.

DUMB! I'm not grapple guru but the idea of picking a lighter opponent is the same as saying, "this guy is too strong so I'm going to grapple someone much weaker!"

You have to adapt to your opponent no matter their skill, size or shape.

Upa UPA UPA! That always works well. However you want to do it, take one of their arms to post & bridge hard to that side.

or SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP. :D

1. Avoid getting mounted
2. the escape to any mount is started by creating space.

Elbow-Knee Escape seems to work best for me on bigger dudes. I have hard times doing an upa to guys that are bigger.

Elbow to knee is almost unstoppable even against big guys if he is sitting far back. It usually lands you in half guard, which isn't the greatest, but it's better that uselessly flailing with the upa. Elbow knee works much better for smaller, weaker guys than the pure upa.

Anybody know good high mount escapes? I have trouble with those -- once the guy is in high mount, what are your best options? Upa and elbow to knee don't work very well. I feel like you have to turn to your side and squirm out.

I use elbow to knee a fair bit, but actually prefer to use a bridge, and when they post with their leg to avoid rolling shrimp to half guard.

Bubble Boy said:
I can see why there would be negative reviews. In the beginning of the video he's introducing himself and he comes off as pretty cocky. The production value is pretty low also. But the content is interesting, and in my opinion makes it worth getting. There's nothing earth shattering in the techniques, but there is some sneaky shit. It's worth getting if you're interested in something else to do from the turtle other than just, well, turtling.

Thanks for the reply. I'll go check it out.

For high mounted players I usually bring my foot up into their bicep and just flip myself over, this is easy for me because I am 6'2 and have long legs.

Another one is, push both of their armpits foward and above you. Throw your legs back and just use that momentum to roll.

That or wait for the armbar attempt and escape from there.

As for the main topic, don't get mounted in the first place. If you are mounted never EVER be flat on your back, in any position that is.

Go for the foot drag or the foot lift, that is almost impossible to stop.

Soid said:
Do you mean the move where you put your foot in the belt and kick up and get him off? I heard Shawn WIllians taught it in my school but when I did it to Gregor, he said that it's illegal. I imagine it would be illegal anyway, it's too easy to get someone off like that. I remember doing that to get a purple belt off my mount, he's competed in the mundials and never seen anyone do that before. I'm assuming he never seen it done because it's either a newb move or it's illegal.

You train with Shawn Williams?? He will be at our school in a week or so. Can't wait to train with him.

Bama Zulu said:
For high mounted players I usually bring my foot up into their bicep and just flip myself over, this is easy for me because I am 6'2 and have long legs.

Another one is, push both of their armpits foward and above you. Throw your legs back and just use that momentum to roll.

That or wait for the armbar attempt and escape from there.

As for the main topic, don't get mounted in the first place. If you are mounted never EVER be flat on your back, in any position that is.

Go for the foot drag or the foot lift, that is almost impossible to stop.

This is awesome advice. I'll try it. I'm 6'1 so I have some good foot reach. By "foot drag" or "foot lift" you mean the same maneuvers though? Using your legs?

Back