What would be the top 5+ full mount escapes for a weak person in your opinion?

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you think are the best 5+ escapes from the mounted position when the guy is much stronger than you?

One big problem i have is when im outweighed and overpowered a lot by a guy whos mounted me, and i cant even bridge with my hips to make adequate space because of the difference. What are the best options in this position?

And dont just tell me to quit or gain weight thats not funny thats just really lame and predictable.

I would suggest defending against the mount/not letting someone mount you. Either that or don't roll with someone so heavy.

OK. If I get mounted the first thing I try is the "Upa" or arm trap and roll. If he defends the Upa by posting a leg I use the space created to shrimp to half or full guard. If none of those works and we are wearing gi's i'll try the belt escape. If that still fails I start to get desperate and will bait my opponent with a straight arm hoping he will go for it and I can defend, escape, and come up into side control or his guard.

Typically most of the time I can pull off one of these. But honestly the best thing to do is not get mounted.

The belt technique supposedly is illegal in sport jiujitsu, hence why I stopped doing it.

Soid said:
The belt technique supposedly is illegal in sport jiujitsu, hence why I stopped doing it.

is it really? Ive never heard that. Youre allowed to grab peoples belts all you want. so why cant you stick your foot in it?

nothing better than the elbow-knee escape. you probably won't get an upa against anyone experienced.

Give up your back and develop a strong offensive turtle game.

Seriously.

Try overhook your heel over the back of theirs and try slide it over your opposite foot. Use your elbow to make further space and you should be back at least to half guard.

I'm not a very good mount escape artist tbh. Gerald Strebent showed us a really nice escape where you make space by bucking, slide your knee through and pushing them onto their back with your other foot. You are directly setup for a leglock of choice afterwards.

Bubble Boy said:
Give up your back and develop a strong offensive turtle game.

Seriously.

Agreed. Watch Fedor spar in that training video that was posted up. Every time he got mounted, he didn't bother with any other escape but just rolling and bridging up as hard as he could. If it doesn't buck the other guy off he has a good turtle game. I try it in training and it works great.

hamoom said:
is it really? Ive never heard that. Youre allowed to grab peoples belts all you want. so why cant you stick your foot in it?
Do you mean the move where you put your foot in the belt and kick up and get him off? I heard Shawn WIllians taught it in my school but when I did it to Gregor, he said that it's illegal. I imagine it would be illegal anyway, it's too easy to get someone off like that. I remember doing that to get a purple belt off my mount, he's competed in the mundials and never seen anyone do that before. I'm assuming he never seen it done because it's either a newb move or it's illegal.

Never heard of the belt escape being illegal. I've done it in small competitons before and no one has said anything.

Re: Giving up your back...

Iceman5592 said:
Agreed. Watch Fedor spar in that training video that was posted up. Every time he got mounted, he didn't bother with any other escape but just rolling and bridging up as hard as he could. If it doesn't buck the other guy off he has a good turtle game. I try it in training and it works great.

Cool. A lot of grapplers react in horror to the suggestion of giving your back, but it's a functional move if you have any turtle defense (and offense) at all. As soon as I get even the slightest whiff that the mount is inevitable: turtle time. Not that it's an invincible thing to do, but IMO it beats being stuck under a fat boy's mount.
Watch out for the RNC and armbars.
In a judo tournament it makes sense to turtle because the refs will give the guy on top of your back about 10-20 seconds to work something, and then back to standing...

BulldogSIX said:
Never heard of the belt escape being illegal. I've done it in small competitons before and no one has said anything.
That's the thing though, in small competitions the refs are sloppy to begin with. I'm assuming he meant in bigger competitions.. ehh wtf do I know. I'm only talking through hearsay.

This is very interesting about the turtle game. Whats the safest way to get to the turtle position without the opponent getting his hooks in, and also once you are in turtle position how do you safely escape?

Try sticking your arm between you and their legs and just buck them off while also using your arm to launch them over your shoulder. Make sure you uncross their legs if they are crossed.

you should be able to bridge unless your opponent is like 1000 pounds, thats the point of a bridge, and BJJ all together, get him off balance and make him post on one arm. tie up this posted arm and hook his foot on teh same side and 'upa'.

also when they are off balance try a elbow knee escape, its very effective

The belt escape is illegal, because you technically have your foot caught in your opponents gi. The ref will slap your foot away, just as he would pull your opponents gi off if your foot got caught in it for spider guard.

hamoom said:

YEah it's illegal in some tournaments because some guys were breaking their toes trying it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back