What would be Kevin Lee's fastest path to the belt?

TheItalianStallion

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ranked 10 at 155 and after the Tony fight being billed as a future champ and nightmare matchup for Khabib, is now 1-3 in his last 4 and 2-4 in last 6 and has basically become the Colby Covington of the division. He lost to a guy who was a gatekeeper up until recently and is now injured on the sidelines for the foreseeable future. How many fights is he away from climbing back to the top and who should he go for? Cerrone? CDF? Drew Dober? Al trilogy? Islam?

He won't be champ. He always does the same thing, wrestle for one or two rounds and then get tired and submitted

you mean if he could stop losing? I like Kevin Lee, but that's looking unlikely.

There is no path imo. He has no gas tank at lightweight, so he trys to close out his opponents early. They use this against him now.

At ww, hes rather small for the weight class and cant grapple as well.

Idk probably felder, hooker, or Islam could propel him to a top 5 opponent. He could also fight Dariush who’s got a little a bit of air under his wings. I used to really dislike Lee but somehow someway he’s grown on me so I hope he can get back into contention soon.

Hes not anywhere near a title shot. He would need like 5 wins in a row at the very least.

For some reason he gets big matchups so I'm not gonna say he cant turn it around... but i dont see it at all

I like Lee, but unless the current landscape of contenders change at LW, he’s probably never getting the belt or maybe even fight for a title anytime soon. The division is too good. He’s one of those guys in a weird spot where he has trouble making 155, but he’s also undersized at WW. Plus didn’t he just blow another ACL? The injuries aren’t good and he’ll probably be out until early to mid 2021 at the very least. The guy news is that the guy is talented and he’s still fairly young, so he has plenty of time for a career resurgence. His prime will probably outlast that of Khabib, Poirier, Tony, Gaethje, etc. so he might be apart of the new era of LW that eventually I’d like to see him vs a guy like Dober or Dariush in his next fight.

He needs to fight Islam and if he beats him he needs to embarrass khabib and his camp. There's a possibility khabib will fight him if it's personal.
As a champion you don’t have the luxury of picking fights, you must face the top contender.

Back