What was Bisping's gameplan?

Raylan

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I thought for sure he was going to look to tie him up against the cage and wear him out for at least the first 2 rounds. Instead Bisping seemed to be perfectly comfortable standing and trading with a Vitor who was picking his shots and dominating?

Even after Vitor clearly won the first nothing changed for Bisping.

Oh well, now that that he is no longer in the nr.1 contender you can bet he is going to win his next few fights..

I thought Bisping was controlling the fight pretty well until the end of the first round.

Tying him up against the cage required him to move in on Vitor. Every time Bisping stepped forward, Belfort was there on the counter and making distance.

Cruz also just broke it down really well on the post-fight show on Fuel.

The only thign I was surprised by was that he did not continually pepper Vitor with the jab (ala Diaz). I thought he would continually do that and then when Vitor blitz he'd circle away and look for chances to push him against the cage.

I think Vitor came out more composed than Bisping expected and he got a little impatient.

I think Bisping was just nervous really, hesitant to make any big moves and hoping that Vitor would tire

I think Bisping was just nervous really, hesitant to make any big moves and hoping that Vitor would tire

This. He respected Vitor too much.
I think he would go for double legs in the round endings.

I agree. I hate when fighters fight dumb just to try to prove a point... It usually does not work.

I thought Bisping was controlling the fight pretty well until the end of the first round.

Yeah, I thought he sas going to see the first round out and then grapple.

Bisping did not fight dumb. He fought to the best of his ability, but still got outclassed. Round 1 was pretty even until the tail end where Belfort rocked him with the headkick followed by a mini flurry

And then Belfort finished Bisping with the same weapon in Rd 2

I don't know maybe something along the lines of " don't die right away and I'll out last him "

Bisping's plan was to survive past R3 and hope that Vitor had a rough weight cut and gassed.

Bisping did not fight dumb. He fought to the best of his ability, but still got outclassed. Round 1 was pretty even until the tail end where Belfort rocked him with the headkick followed by a mini flurry

And then Belfort finished Bisping with the same weapon in Rd 2
This.

LOL at some of you clowns thinking Bisping could have grappled with Vitor ... that would have been hilarious.

I thought Bisping's jab was working, but, sheesh, I think Vitor was telegraghing a head kick. He went to the body, what 3 or 4 times. I've been told that is a sign that a fighter is head hunting - get the opponent to drop the hands to protect the body and then go upstairs. Maybe that is oversimplifying, but I think Bisping should have been ready for that. He wasn't which is reason to question is IQ in the fight.

Like I said before the fight, Vitor got tired when he wasn't as good as now and against big, good wrestlers. Bisping isn't huge and also not a good wrestler, plus Vitor came with a great gameplan tonight. Vitor is not getting tired fighting a fight like this, Bisping dancing around and throwing jabs doesn't gas anyone. Vitor avoided any grappling and waited for his chances. Amazing performance IMO.

i thought he was going to try to push vitor against the fence in the first few rounds then try using the jab later

i thought he was going to try to push vitor against the fence in the first few rounds then try using the jab later

Sure, but:

1. Vitor wanted to avoid grappling
2. Bisping wanted to avoid Vitor's best striking distance like the plague, to get to the clinch he needs to be in that distance, though

So we got a patient kickboxing match in which Bisping THOUGHT he had more weapons and was better. Obviously wasn't the case.

Lindland closed the distane and got almost killed against Vitor. It's not that easy.

Rumor has it Bisping wanted to be the first fighter to make the other guy tap from having to react to too many feints.

These aren't official stats, but I think Bispings compustrike #'s look something like:

Total strikes thrown: 9
Total feints thrown: 462

Not get kicked in the head, it failed. What is with these stupid threads today? It is the Jesus freaks VS the delusional Brits. Neither Vitor nor Bisping was going to beat Anderson. Weidman would have had a better chance, now I guess Lombard is the next great hope, but he is so short, Anderson may just mystify him with his standup and range.

Back