What type of standup do you train in?

phenomfan1529

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what type of standup do my fellow sherdogers train in & for how long?
I've been Boxing for almost 7 months now. Anybody else care to share?

I train just kickboxing now for my standup but I trained boxing hard for a while, became a certified coach.

Spoonman7 said:
I train just kickboxing now for my standup but I trained boxing hard for a while, became a certified coach.

Showoff! jus kiddin, how long did it take you to become certified?

I train kung fu...are stand up is rly smooth and flowing, some of the styles that we do involve trapping arms, and cornering. Since my school is so mixed, are style is very different everyone seems to be using a front stance, since its good for punches and for med-high kicks. But we switch from so many stances not even to bother with which stance there in and determind what can hit u and what cant. staying lighting on the feet and working things we call set-ups. Where u hit and attempt to hit them in a certain area making them block using ur other hand or leg and go for the opening.

MN-KungFu said:
I train kung fu...are stand up is rly smooth and flowing, some of the styles that we do involve trapping arms, and cornering. Since my school is so mixed, are style is very different everyone seems to be using a front stance, since its good for punches and for med-high kicks. But we switch from so many stances not even to bother with which stance there in and determind what can hit u and what cant. staying lighting on the feet and working things we call set-ups. Where u hit and attempt to hit them in a certain area making them block using ur other hand or leg and go for the opening.

What kind of Kung Fu do you train? Trapping is great, that's one element I feel is direly missed in Boxing and American Kixkboxing.

I trained JKD (with emphasis on MMA) for about four months, then American kickboxing for two. I'm starting next week with a new coach who teaches Western Boxing and American Kickboxing but also knows Muay Thai. He's one of my best friend's dad. My best friend was the #2 ranked junior in the USA in boxing and #9 ranked junior in kickboxing (in the Light Welterweight class) growing up. So that's why I'm going to his dad. I want to step things up.

trained in boxing for a while and i've about two months mt which is still ongoing.

phenomfan1529 said:
Showoff! jus kiddin, how long did it take you to become certified?

I became ceritified after about 7 months, all I was doing was training, then sparring, then helping other people with their punches it happened by accident, I just enjoy helping people. I became pretty good at it and people were improving with my help, then a coaches clinic came up and I went to it and passed their test., about a month later I had a falling out with my coach. Sorry to give you the wholw life story there but I wanted to explain it clearly as I could.

its just dumb to say chuck has the best hands in mma. Hunt has better hands in every single way, there are other organizations than the ufc...

ShorinjiRyu said:
its just dumb to say chuck has the best hands in mma. Hunt has better hands in every single way, there are other organizations than the ufc...
whaaaaat?? lol...I've been training boxing/muay thai for lil over month now...

I did good old Western Boxing for about 5 years, from 15 to 20. It was real ghetto stuff, getting trained by a friend who could afford a gym, because I couldn't. He'd go train, then show me what he'd learned that day as we worked out in his garage. Did some "unsanctioned" boxing matches in the park in my wild youth.

I stopped training for about eight years and then picked it up again about 4 years ago, adding a Muay Thai class here and there. I trained for 2 years solid and then launched my own business, at which point my training went to hell, I was so busy.

Now that business is stable, I'm back in training for the past few months. I feel old and rusty! But if I don't get back into a good training rhythm now, I'll just get old and fat and stay that way. Who needs THAT?

Muay Thai / 10 years

Boxing for 3 years. Amatuer record of 3-1

Back