What type of standup do you train in?

phenomfan1529 said:
Just wanted to know what type of standup do my fellow sherdogers train in & for how long?
I've been Boxing for almost 7 months now. Anybody else care to share?

Standup for MMA and I used to box. I don't do boxing anymore because I don't have the time.

Right now I train in the deadly art of physical therapy and swimming b/c of an injury getting ready for a tourny last november....but prior to, and hopefully again in a few more months, I trained in boxing and Muay Thai for almost 3 years under private instruction.

I wrestled through junior high and high school. Now I train in BJJ and Boxing. Wrestling gave me a good grappling backround so now BJJ comes very naturally. I took kickboxing for a summer, then my trainer went to jail for having sex with a 14 year old girl. Funny shit. Now I box twice a week, and do BJJ twice a week. I will be fighting in my first MMA event in October.

boxing for like 3 years the recently just started mt.

Hammer_Fist said:
I wrestled through junior high and high school. Now I train in BJJ and Boxing. Wrestling gave me a good grappling backround so now BJJ comes very naturally. I took kickboxing for a summer, then my trainer went to jail for having sex with a 14 year old girl. Funny shit. Now I box twice a week, and do BJJ twice a week. I will be fighting in my first MMA event in October.

Wow, sucks for your trainer

Did Karate for 6 years, a little bit of boxing and Muay Thai for 3 months now.

Jesus I feel old for having started so young. But I'll list my most prominent Arts, not the ones I took just for shits and giggles over the years.

Shao Lin Gung Fu - 13 years.

Muay Thai - 14 years

Boxing - Studied for 2 years when I was very young, off and on all along (I always believed knowing how to Box is one of the best fundamentals of Combat period) and have decided this is the Art I will go Professional, so as of this year I have dedicated myself entirely to it. Ironically enough, getting in shape enough to go Pro has helped my kicking abilities and overall athleticism.

King Kabuki said:
Jesus I feel old for having started so young. But I'll list my most prominent Arts, not the ones I took just for shits and giggles over the years.

Shao Lin Gung Fu - 13 years.

Muay Thai - 14 years

Boxing - Studied for 2 years when I was very young, off and on all along (I always believed knowing how to Box is one of the best fundamentals of Combat period) and have decided this is the Art I will go Professional, so as of this year I have dedicated myself entirely to it. Ironically enough, getting in shape enough to go Pro has helped my kicking abilities and overall athleticism.

How old were you when you 1st started?

How old were you when you 1st started?

I began learning Martial Arts at the age of 5. I'm 26 now, so I feel like an old man sometimes because I've been doing some form of Combat Art for 21 years.

King Kabuki said:
I began learning Martial Arts at the age of 5. I'm 26 now, so I feel like an old man sometimes because I've been doing some form of Combat Art for 21 years.

Damn thats a long time. I wish I got started before I high school

I train in GCSD, follow the link in sig.

We dont really train seperatly in any style. Striking, trapping, grappling, submissions, street techniques, are all part of one style.

GCSD Fighter said:
I train in GCSD, follow the link in sig.

We dont really train seperatly in any style. Striking, trapping, grappling, submissions, street techniques, are all part of one style.

Hmmm...never heard of this. Is it more focused on self defense than sport?

I work everything, we transition between Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ and some trapping for about 3 years. It creates a great flow.

I have trained in taekwondo previously getting my blackbelt. I am doing a little boxing and muay thai now.

Back