What to expect from a therapist. 1st time 15 years of Derpresion

One thing that I notice is that most people who are depressed don't try to attack the issues that are causing it. Depression usually comes from a cause, people are unhappy with their job, they feel like they lives could be better, they are unhappy with their body, unhappy with the love life, something in their lives is driving their depression. The most effective way I see of battling depression is battling what makes you unhappy in life. Even if dramatic live changes are needed, it will be worth it to help your overall well being. Figure out a plan to get the unhappy/unhealthy things out of your life and figure out a plan in your life that will achieve maximum happiness.

I really have benefitted from therapy. I started going a year ago and love going in

I've personally had bad experiences with therapists; the meetings were essentially me talking to a wall that would recommend meds to me despite the fact that I specifically said I don't want meds. I know a lot of people have success with meds, but they're a bit of a phobia of mine and honestly they just mask the deeper issues. There are plenty of specialized types of therapy meant to help depression. I don't recommend meds unless it's an absolute last ditch effort.

A lot of people I know have had good experiences with therapists though. Just be prepared to be open and talk about anything. Also, be open to their ideas on how to get better, but don't let them talk you into a form of recovery that you don't believe is best for you. Don't blindly accept their suggestions—therapists can be just as ignorant as the rest of us;instead just have an open mind, relax, and talk to them about things that you need to talk about. You may need to go through a few therapists till you find one that you mesh with. Don't feel bad about asking for a different therapist if that's what you want. You're there to be honest help get better, so do what you think is best for you. There is no easy cure for depression, so be prepared to examine your life style, your fears, and your entire thought process.

Good luck.

Last edited:
One thing that I notice is that most people who are depressed don't try to attack the issues that are causing it. Depression usually comes from a cause, people are unhappy with their job, they feel like they lives could be better, they are unhappy with their body, unhappy with the love life, something in their lives is driving their depression. The most effective way I see of battling depression is battling what makes you unhappy in life. Even if dramatic live changes are needed, it will be worth it to help your overall well being. Figure out a plan to get the unhappy/unhealthy things out of your life and figure out a plan in your life that will achieve maximum happiness.

You probably nailed it right there I started to realize my Job is not really some thing I can make sacrifices for even my colleagues are verbally dissatisfied on a daily basis besides I believe I can still have a career in Music so it does not matter if I like my Job today the issue is I have another thing I really want to do and my Job is getting in the way.

But I can't afford to let go of the Job for now. But it may not be my own choice I am struggling with concentration and it caused so much mess at work already.

Good luck TS

The drugs are a big adjustment but give them the time bro. My doc and I spent a long while finding the right combination of meds, but now that's sorted I feel much improved. But no denying it was pretty brutal at first with the side effects

Hi Zer,

I did not know you struggled with deep depression as well.

I just notice lots of Sherbros are Depressed.

I was given some meds and it kinda affects my mood in a weird way as I Feel more restless and it affected my libido negatively.

The Doc say it will take a month. There was not so much talk with the doctor he just prescribe some medicines and answer some questions from me and thats it.

Now I am thinking of quitting my Job as I have messed up a lot and people at work are pissed.

If that is all he did, I might look for another doctor maybe, see how the next session is. Nothing wrong with meds, but there should have been some more talking before just handing out the pills. Usually therapists will talk with you for 30-40 minutes, then give you some options on treatment, and maybe prescribe something depending on the case.

Not all docs are equal, do you have a follow up appointment sooner than a month?

No matter what good job man! Its a big step and it will really help!

If that is all he did, I might look for another doctor maybe, see how the next session is. Nothing wrong with meds, but there should have been some more talking before just handing out the pills. Usually therapists will talk with you for 30-40 minutes, then give you some options on treatment, and maybe prescribe something depending on the case.

Not all docs are equal, do you have a follow up appointment sooner than a month?

No matter what good job man! Its a big step and it will really help!

Thanks for the reply yes, It is really worth it that I have tried the medication I am feeling a lot better now compared months ago where my whole life was reduced to a series of rants and non-sense mumblings.

I already visited the Doctor Twice within this month he did ask first how my depression started but not much advice was given if I can continue to work or just take a leave or resign all together.

He says its complicated stuff.

But I guess I may have to make that decision my self. If it is me I will stay at work although I don't know if it will help because of the stress since I already made a lot mess.

My Boss is supportive though but not sure how long will they tolerate it.

Congratulations on taking steps to make a positive change!

As already noted:

Therapy only takes you somewhere if you're very open and honest, so do that.

And if one therapist isn't working for you, don't assume they're all the same and give up.

Now I am thinking of quitting my Job as I have messed up a lot and people at work are pissed.
Hang in there. You're right, but hang in there. The only thing you're forbidden from doing is giving up. Even if it takes a thousand years and every drop of your blood, never give up, never surrender, and by Granthar's hammer, you will be avenged.

I know it took a weird turn there at the end but GALAXY QUEST is a great movie. You should watch it.

Good for you- good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Psychology major carrying a 3.7 into his final semester at umass amherst, so im an expert.
The fact you are taking the first step is a positive base to build on. If they are worth their weight in salt they wont push meds on you right away, unless it is something painfully obvious. I suspect that isnt the case if you have made it 15 years knowing something is not feeling right and this is the first time u have seen them. Be as open to suggestions as you can and still feel comfortable. If you do not like the doctor/counselor you see, do not give up on the process, not every mental health professional is a good fit for every client. Be honest, if you cannot be honest, you are most likely wasting your own time, and that is self defeating. Also, clean up your diet, excersize, sleep patterns, and any substance abuse/other addictions. I am not saying you have any issues with those 4 or 5 things, but i feel that is a good palce to make marked improvements in anyones life.
also, good luck random internet person.

80% of the population at any time is depressed to some degree

If you are depressed constantly and for no reason, that's called "clinical depression," it's a biological imbalance and it usually requires meds to help adjust the levels closer to normal.

If you are depressed constantly and for no reason, that's called "clinical depression," it's a biological imbalance and it usually requires meds to help adjust the levels closer to normal.

Yeah, I have my reasons to be upset years ago and kinda made me "depressed" but it turned into clinical depression over the years.

Therer are still some issues I need to fix mainly my career and some financial things.

Yeah, I have my reasons to be upset years ago and kinda made me "depressed" but it turned into clinical depression over the years.

Therer are still some issues I need to fix mainly my career and some financial things.

That's actually somewhat encouraging news. Imagine someone who can't alter it or make it better even when their situation is excellent- they're really screwed

Hope your stuff lines up. But by bit. Good luck

Sherdog is a breeding ground for depressed souls. I hope things get better man, I'd say the thing that changed my life regarding depression is changing my mindset.

Try to see the positives in every situation and stay optimistic about the future, its a little change that can make a world of difference.

The issue with the meds is they make you confused about what real happiness is, not to mention a limp you don't want. I would not suggest them personally.

Masking a problem with meds doesn't change the underlying problem so when you get off them the condition usually remains ( the depression, not the limp lol)

The issue with the meds is they make you confused about what real happiness is, not to mention a limp you don't want. I would not suggest them personally.

Masking a problem with meds doesn't change the underlying problem so when you get off them the condition usually remains ( the depression, not the limp lol)

I don't suggest them either, if there is any way to find an alternate way to manage improvement otherwise. It's only for the worst cases where it's the last option where it's getting dangerous not to, imo

You can actually change your brain chemistry by means of meditation and positive outlook, things like that. Try several. Why not

I've personally had bad experiences with therapists; the meetings were essentially me talking to a wall that would recommend meds to me despite the fact that I specifically said I don't want meds. I know a lot of people have success with meds, but they're a bit of a phobia of mine and honestly they just mask the deeper issues. There are plenty of specialized types of therapy meant to help depression. I don't recommend meds unless it's an absolute last ditch effort.

A lot of people I know have had good experiences with therapists though. Just be prepared to be open and talk about anything. Also, be open to their ideas on how to get better, but don't let them talk you into a form of recovery that you don't believe is best for you. Don't blindly accept their suggestions

Hang in there TS. Just remember that this CAN be overcome and getting help will never hurt. I'm praying for you!

Keep us posted!

What I remember about my therapist: Hot blonde grad student with huge boobs and really nice white long teeth.
It was she who showed me there is more to life than making other people die, like poetry and training dogs to report fires. You know, helping and like as it might be here and there.

Back