What to expect from a therapist. 1st time 15 years of Derpresion

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by ShinkanPo, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo still love sick

So after almost 15 Years of Depressive illness I decided to finally see a therapist.

This has troubled me since, my late teens but even before that I am one of those sensitive over emotional kid.

Now I am 32, I really don't know what are they going to tell me or what to expect I assume I have to attend a series of sessions as I understand this cannot be cured in just one sitting and I also need to take steps in the right direction.

I know should have as for help sooner but I guess at the back of my mind I feel that it will really solidify that I have a serious mental illness so its like I am prentending that I am okay and as long as I don't see a doctor then there is no real evidence that I am suffering mentally.

This has been of and on all those years I had trouble learning at School and was forced to drop out of college of Music and that caused me difficulty in getting decent Jobs, most of the time I am a part time Music teacher sometimes just as a substitute teacher in small schools, A few years ago I work in a call center that pays well and I have somewhat improved my self esteem by making money and supporting my aging Mother but the company I was working with has to close down although it did not affect me emotionally.

Moving on I use my spare time to get back into Music and regain my skills as a guitarist. And I am doing good emotionally even though I am not earning anything I am enjoying the playing and have started some small composition back in January to February this year and has plans to write more music later this year and probably go full time performing or teaching.

This year in February I received a text message from travel consultancy and I was hired as a travel consultant for a 5 month contract I took the Job even though its not my passion as it will get me stable salary and it is a lot better than the Call Center shit where we are treated like Robots here I get company Phone 1hour lunch breaks and I get to attend meetings its not borring at all and I get travel incentives.

But recently depression creep in not in an emotional way I just started forgetting things I am unable to articulate my thoughts when I speak to clients and my Boss to the point I am having errors after errors and later that piled up that it is causing problems at the office and making the work more stressful.

Then just few weeks ago I had a suicide attempt and a nervouse breakdown now I am about to lose my Job because of the tardiness and repeated sick leaves.

My asthma and other respiratory allergies got aggravated by the stress so I got sick all the time.

So I decided I think its time to see a Doctor.

Cliffs

1.Been depress for 15 years ups and downs.
    2. Have tried to recover and do self therapy.
    3. I was able to have complate recovery last February when I got the new Job a good Job.

4. I had a massive relapse a few weeks ago that almost ended my life.
    5. People at home are upset.
    6. I will see doctor for the first time tomorrow.
    7. I don't speak engrish so pardon me if I am not Articulate or my idioms seems odd.

Thanks,

2. Serana

Serana Destroyer. Banned

I think seeing a therapist is very important. They can help teach you coping techniques and strategies to deal with negative thoughts like suicide or depression. It is also nice to have a person to talk with about your problems. Good luck to you, and I hope you stay sober.

3. ShinkanPo

Oh yeah I think I have been very stuborn over the years I think this is the first time I will do something I right.

I should have not waited for it to get worst now I have lost my Job.

4. Serana

Serana Destroyer. Banned

Better late than never. Just go into therapy, tell them everything, and follow their advice. Hopefully, when everything gets better, you can get your job back. But you should always talk to a therapist if you can.

5. TCE

TCE The Three Piece with the Soda Platinum Member

All the best to you, good sir. Depression is evil, I'm currently suffering from it and anxiety, it's like a disease. It's terrible, have you got family, girlfriend, friends to talk about your problems as well?

6. Mike

Mike RIP Frankie

Sounds rough I can relate man. Better late than never though. You'll probably like therapy so don't worry about that. If you ever need to talk shoot me a pm. I had some suicide attempts years ago I know it's tough to recover from.

7. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Okay USA Platinum Member

Just be honest and try the medication he gives you. Don't skip your doses and keep a journal of your daily routines and feelings.

8. Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn Kuiper belt

once you start meeting with your therapist, he/she will likely help you evaluate and recognize your cognitive tendencies. depression can often be a blanket term or label, and in time you are going to build a more accurate and specific understanding of your issues.

this will help you get your feet under you emotionally so to speak. if you stay persistent, consistent, and patient with the therapy (and listen to your therapist) you will start to build momentum.

keep in mind not all therapists are created equal, and not everyone relates equally. if you are consistently keeping appointments and not feeling "a connection" so to speak, don't be hesitant to seek therapy from another expert. im not saying jump ship and hopscotch right away, but im sure you understand what im getting at.

above all offer yourself compassion and forgiveness if necessary. it is good that you aren't expecting a quick fix, because the reality is it all takes time. fortunately time is on your side, as you mentioned that you are still quite young.

hang in there, once you get your feet under you and start building momentum things will improve i can assure you. you may backslide from time to time, but that is just life...as long as you stay persistent, you will have the tools to get yourself back out of ruts should they pop up.

one last thing, a good therapist will often make subtle approaches to suggestions regarding cognitive reasoning that aren't immediately obvious - especially if you are struggling. i liken it to thoughts and reflections that are fostered from the appointments percolating in your brain over time like coffee on the stove top. don't just pencil in the time for your appointments. set aside time for quiet reflection with no external stimulation at least a few times a week. often times these can be the most beneficial imo. i hope i articulated that well.

good luck to you and keep your chin up.

9. Misfit23

Misfit23 Black Belt

Don't hold anything back and let it all out to your therapist. All the best, bud.

10. PorkPiePusher

PorkPiePusher Loro Piana cashmere belt

Depression is a tough pit to get out of.

Don't expect the therapist to be a miracle man and to take away your troubles just by laying his hands on you - he's there to listen, to provide a safe enviroment for you to express yourself and he's trained to try and put everything in context for you. If all goes well, you can expect still being you in a few months/years but with the ability to look back and laugh at how messed up over nothing you were [back then].

Good luck in your recovery.

11. ncsibiryak

ncsibiryak Orange Belt

I would go to see a Psychiatrist first. He can decide if you need medication, therapy, or both.

12. ShinkanPo

I do have support from my GF and my mother but because of what happened and my almost daily breakdowns they become somewhat depressed them selves my Mom is already 62 years old and suffering from hypertension she would have frequent hypertensive episodes and she lost a ton of weight.

They are worried that one day I might not comeback from work and just decide to jump of the building.

Thanks for the replies

13. pinger

pinger Brown Belt Platinum Member

As men we do not articulate our feelings well. Hence, we also struggle to quantify, and describe our feelings.

Like anything, the mind can be ordered, or in chaos. Think of your brain now, which is currently in chaos.

Talking to a therapist (more important than qualifications is someone you think you can talk to) allows you to define, quantify and eventually order your thoughts and emotions. And to teach you techniques when this fails.

As a guy, feelings are some sort of the ephemeral thing. Talking to a therapist helps to make them physical, then work on them.

As someone who gets tremendous benefit from SSRI's I still needed therapy.

Find someone you can talk to, and unload, will be the best thing you ever did.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  14. pinger

pinger Brown Belt Platinum Member

If you had a cold or back ache for 30 years would you not go to the doctor.? Seriously, go and get some fucking help dumb-ass

15. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Brown Belt

Just a speck of sand in an endless desert of agony
    Derpression is a hell of a thing.

16. ShinkanPo

[​IMG]

17. ShinkanPo

Speaking of Back Ache it seems when ever I am having a big episode I always have bad chronic back aches.

18. ShinkanPo

I was given some meds and it kinda affects my mood in a weird way as I Feel more restless and it affected my libido negatively.

The Doc say it will take a month. There was not so much talk with the doctor he just prescribe some medicines and answer some questions from me and thats it.

Now I am thinking of quitting my Job as I have messed up a lot and people at work are pissed.

19. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

Good luck TS

The drugs are a big adjustment but give them the time bro. My doc and I spent a long while finding the right combination of meds, but now that's sorted I feel much improved. But no denying it was pretty brutal at first with the side effects

20. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    "Man is made or unmade by himself; in the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself; he also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace. By the right choice and true application of thought, man ascends to the Divine Perfection; by the abuse and wrong application of thought, he descends below the level of the beast. Between these two extremes are all the grades of character, and man is their maker and master."

- James Allen (As A Man Thinketh)

A therapist can only offer you guidance and assistance, it is you who must do the work.

This is a very important point, I'm glad you made it.