Crime What to do instead of calling the cops.

In all of my life, I've witnessed one event that warranted the police. It was a car jacking. This is going to actually be most people's experiences who don't live in a bad neighborhood. You all can't relate to inner city shit because you don't live the same life.

My tier list given what I have access to, mainly for a B&E situation:

1. Gun
2. Sword
3. Knife
4. 15 years Kickboxing experience
5. Run

I agree with all but the 3 month psych testing
Fine, 6 month evals. It's vitally important that LEO's, especially working high stress beats, to get more and earlier burn out and stress evaluations. Develop proper systems to switch out high risk officers to allow for mental and physical recovery before reengaging them back into those environments.

Somewhere around the cost of $40 in metal vs the $400 deductible and massive inconvenience, hardship and trauma caused to their (very often lower socioeconomic status) victim.

And honestly it is for their own good. Perhaps they can become the rare example of successful rehabilitation after entering the legal system. Be caged like an animal for the slim chance to get your humanity back. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

I was joking btw. It is a gutless crime

Fine, 6 month evals. It's vitally important that LEO's, especially working high stress beats, to get more and earlier burn out and stress evaluations. Develop proper systems to switch out high risk officers to allow for mental and physical recovery before reengaging them back into those environments.

we also need to reduce the stigma of cops seeking mental health treatment. It’s totally taboo and if you admit it, the admin doesn’t trust you snd thinks you are a liability

we also need to reduce the stigma of cops seeking mental health treatment. It’s totally taboo and if you admit it, the admin doesn’t trust you snd thinks you are a liability
It's a two fold process. One should want officers with enough self-awareness and confidence to admit when they are breaking. That should be bolstered by leadership who can further judge that evaluation to either acknowledge that assessment and help them stave off the burnout and stress or help them to develop further reserves of will, focus and calm and break beyond their current stress threshold.

Some of these are very reasonable and everyone should consider them, like not calling police for noise complaints. Just the other day my neighbors were being obnoxiously loud and I thought about calling the police on the for a second but I immediately changed my mind and decided against it and guess what, nothing happened and we all made it through the night. In other cases calling the cops makes more sense, such as when a different neighbor was holding a party and I heard a loud argument and a gun shot.

I think that should apply to the petty crimes mentioned there like public urination or graffiti. Not sure about property crimes, I think a lot of leftists have this naive "i-its just property" view that I don't agree with.

Some of the suggestions are nice in theory but in practice I have little faith that many communities could implement them effectively, like this pod idea or whatever.
You should move...

There are actually multiple guides on how to deal with crime instead of calling the police. According to all of these lists, calling the police puts lives in danger and even bringing police into the neighborhood risks the lives of the people that live there and brings oppression and negativity to the community as well as justifying police existence. If you are a victim, don’t call police. Call trusted people in your pod to help you recover because the police will only cause violence and oppress the suspect or others.

The suggestions are to form pods-or groups of like minded people that you can rely on in times of crisis.
Your pod is made up of the people that you would call on if violence, harm or abuse happened to you; or the people that you would call on if you wanted support in taking accountability for violence, harm or abuse that you’ve done; or if you witnessed violence or if someone you care about was being violent or being abused.

Always ask if you have consent to try and help. If you are a victim of theft or a burglary, consider hiding and remember-it’s just property and if you need a police report, go down to the station to get one-never bring the police to the scene because that is bringing police violence to your home. What if you call police while your house is being broken into and after they clear the call, they see a minority they believe to be the suspect and cause harm to them.

here are some quotes from articles.

Calling the police often escalates situations, puts people at risk, and leads to violence. Anytime you seek help from the police, you’re inviting them into your community and putting people who may already be vulnerable into dangerous situations. Sometimes people feel that calling the police is the only way to deal with problems. But we can build trusted networks of mutual aid that allow us to better handle conflicts ourselves and move toward forms of transformative justice, while keeping police away from our neighborhoods.

1 Don’t feel obligated to defend property—especially corporate “private” property. Before confronting someone or contacting the police, ask yourself if anyone is being hurt or endangered by property “theft” or damage. If the answer is “no,” then let it be.

2 If something of yours is stolen and you need to file a report for insurance or other purposes, consider going to the police station instead of bringing cops into your community. You may inadvertently be putting someone in your neighborhood at risk.

3 If you observe someone exhibiting behavior that seems “odd” to you, don’t assume that they are publicly intoxicated. A traumatic brain injury or a similar medical episode may be occurring. Ask if they are OK, if they have a medical condition, and if they need assistance.

4 If you see someone pulled over with car trouble, stop and ask if they need help or if you can call a tow truck for them. If the police are introduced to such a situation, they may give punitive and unnecessary tickets to people with car issues, target those without papers, or worse.

5 Keep a contact list of community resources like suicide hotlines. When police are contacted to “manage” such situations, people with mental illness are sixteen times more likely to be killed by cops than those without mental health challenges.

6 Check your impulse to call the police on someone you believe looks or is acting “suspicious.” Is their race, gender, ethnicity, class, or housing situation influencing your choice? Such calls can be death sentences for many people.

7 Encourage teachers, coworkers, and organizers to avoid inviting police into classrooms, workplaces, and public spaces. Instead, create for a culture of taking care of each other and not unwittingly putting people in harm’s way. If you’re part of a group that’s holding a rally or demonstration, don’t get a permit or otherwise cooperate with the police.

8 If your neighbor is having a party and the noise is bothering you, go over and talk to them. Getting to know your neighbors with community events like monthly block parties is a good way to make asking them to quiet down a little less uncomfortable, or to find another neighbor who is willing to do so.

9 If you see someone peeing in public, just look away! Remember, for example, that many houseless people do not have reliable access to bathrooms.

10 Hold and attend deescalation, conflict resolution, first-aid, volunteer medic, and self-defense workshops in your neighborhood, school, workplace, or community organization.

11 Street art is beautiful! Don’t report graffiti and other street artists. If you see work that includes fascistic or hate speech, paint over it yourself or with friends.

12 Remember that police can escalate domestic violence situations. You can support friends and neighbors who are being victimized by abusers by offering them a place to stay, a ride to a safe location, or to watch their children. Utilize community resources like safe houses and hotlines.

Know your neighbors so you can talk to them about issues instead of calling the police-for example, your neighbors are having a loud party and it is affecting your quality of life-ask them if they can be quiet instead of involving the police and invite them to a monthly block party.

Know your mental health agencies so you can get the person help if they consent to receiving some.

Take a community approach to stopping violence and protecting people
While many calls to police are for noise complaints or other minor issues, some are for more serious, potentially dangerous situations. The New York City Police Department, for example, receives almost 600 calls about potential domestic violence incidents every day. At the same time, there’s been growing public attention in recent years to assault and violence committed by officers themselves. Oklahoma City police officer Daniel Holtzclaw, for example, was sentenced in 2016 for sexually assaulting eight women of color (he was also accused, but not convicted, in five other assaults). And an Associated Press analysis found that between 2009 and 2014, 990 police officers lost their badges for sexual misconduct — and those were just the ones who were disciplined.

A theoretical starting place from Taj James on Facebook:

“White people. I love you! You are stretching in this moment to try to figure out what you can do and how to do more. I have an idea:

In addition to talking with other white folks about how heartbroken you are about the latest round of murders of Black people by the police. In addition to getting your family to share how they feel and declare their solidarity and linked fate by putting up a ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ sign in their window at home or at work. In addition to supporting Black-led direct action and policy campaigns. In addition to making large donations to organizations who are a part of the Movement for Black Lives and to the families of those who have lost loved ones. In addition to doing the basic, hard and essential work of reconnecting white people to their lost humanity and our shared humanity, what if the next step might be to say:

“White friends and family, I think we are better off without the police. I think we might be safer, happier, healthier if there were no police. In addition to fewer Black people being killed by those police our life would be much better. I am starting to think we are better off without them. That we don’t need them. That if we shut them all down today and transferred all the resources they control to communities to set up systems of community safety and accountability we would all be much happier.”

https://uaptsd.org/take-action/what-to-do-instead-of-calling-the-police/

https://www.sproutdistro.com/2017/07/28/new-zine-12-things-cops

A zoom meeting with a bunch of woke kids that tell you how to handle situations without calling police. At the end, they add the ACAB and reiterate to never call police.

So people should take some personal responsibility and look after their friends, family and neighbours?

Some of that isn't terrible advice in terms of noise complaints, sus people etc. If you haven't spoken to someone and received a violent response, you should try asking people first.

The pods or effectively gangs is stupid though. What happens if the person you and your "pod" deals with has a bigger and stronger "pod". Now you lose.

If you don't want Police or don't support them, do not call for theft insurance reports. You are a hypocrite if you utilise the Police for stuff like that. Same goes for property damage. It's your problem to fix if you don't want Police in your neighbourhood.

Don't deny other people calls for service. If they choose to call Police they have the right. Do not block roads, set checkpoints to keep Police out.

Most of the people who want to get rid of Police will not survive the situation they want unfortunately. It's going to possibly take some pretty bad times for them to change their minds.

In all of my life, I've witnessed one event that warranted the police. It was a car jacking. This is going to actually be most people's experiences who don't live in a bad neighborhood. You all can't relate to inner city shit because you don't live the same life.

IDK, even college bars have fights often enough that end up with too many people for the bouncing staff to handle. And the cops just showing up tends to make people scatter or chill, they don't want to go to jail.

I pointed out 7 shots because you claimed he emptied his mag. He didn’t. You were as wrong about that as you are about center mass shooting
so you are cool with 7 shots then? you already said you didnt like this particular shoot. so lets pretend the guy was a bit more menacing. you are still ok with 7 shots?

My tier list given what I have access to, mainly for a B&E situation:

1. Gun
2. Sword
3. Knife
4. 15 years Kickboxing experience
5. Run
i just got a new toy for home defense
9mm AR platform 30 round hollowpoints shoots like a bb gun and extremely accurate

Damn it's common sense. If it's something small you try to handle it low key.

The problem is most small shit say a business calls on is because it's happening so often it becomes a big deal.

Like the difference between have lost something now and then to shoplifting and the shit happening everyday.

Also the way things are now if you have to put your hands on anyone or forced to draw a weapon to defend yourself you had better call the cops and fill out the paperwork or you might find yourself in jail or in a law suit.

For sure, I agree. It honestly becomes a waste of your OWN time and resources not to mention the police's if it's something so small. It's the morons in the OP that I was talking about.
I'm just saying there's a middle ground between their extreme position and OP's. Some of their suggestion, like not calling cops for public urination and noise complaints, I think are valid even. Pod mapping though? Not so sure about that.

Somewhere peaceful.
I do live somewhere peaceful where we rarely need to call the cops. And the good part of that is when you do run into cops they are usually really chill. So many times I or my family have been stopped or approached by cops and they were really lenient, pretty much every time off the top of my head we were in the wrong and they let us go with just a warning and in some cases a really polite one too. I know I come off as anti-cop but I know all cops aren't bad since I have met my fair share of chill and lenient cops.

It's a two fold process. One should want officers with enough self-awareness and confidence to admit when they are breaking. That should be bolstered by leadership who can further judge that evaluation to either acknowledge that assessment and help them stave off the burnout and stress or help them to develop further reserves of will, focus and calm and break beyond their current stress threshold.

There should be trainings on how to spot stress and ptsd symptoms. I had really bad depression due to many years of severe back pain and shift work. My back always got bad at night, so when I switched to midnight, right when my back began to get excruciating, i was starting my shift so my depression got real bad. I was in hell for four or six weeks depending on the length of rotation for that particular year. It was years of that before I finally admitted it and sought treatment. But I was reluctant to tell anyone about my issues because there is a sense that people won’t trust you, it makes you look weak, people think you will snap, etc. I finally did tell my shift and encouraged them to do something rather than wait ten years like I did. I have since had a few guys come to me, one of whom was actually suicidal. We just had a young officer kill himself two weeks ago. So what you are saying makes sense, but when you do screenings like you said, it might have the opposite effect because guys will be reluctant and resentful.

I don’t particularly like my former chief, but one good thing he did was have debriefing sessions after a serious event to discuss incidents. This needs to be more common. But it was all show- the reason I dislike that chief is because at the end of my career, the day I found out that I had to have emergency back surgery that would end my career, I reached out to him in an email that he never responded to. I then reached out to my immediate supervisor who also did not respond. It’s like as soon as you admit there is an issue, they wipe their hands of you, so cops have to suffer in silence because of the stigma.

Back