What to do in this case

thecas

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my hse gym there is this machine 4 ya quadriceps, the standard ones where u kick them to work out.

However, by now, I am kicking up about 60kg[With both legs]. Also, I m merely a 120 pounder.

The problem is that the front of my shins r beginning to hurt. Perhaps I hav a sharper shin, but I cant see how I can increase the weights with the pain. Any solutions?

thecas said:
In my hse gym there is this machine 4 ya quadriceps, the standard ones where u kick them to work out.

However, by now, I am kicking up about 60kg[With both legs]. Also, I m merely a 120 pounder.

The problem is that the front of my shins r beginning to hurt. Perhaps I hav a sharper shin, but I cant see how I can increase the weights with the pain. Any solutions?

You might want to try squatting.

Barut said:
You might want to try squatting.
We have a winner.

Leg extensions are for people who wear spandex to train, stop being a metro and start doing some heavy squats.

SmashiusClay said:
Leg extensions are for people who wear spandex to train, stop being a metro and start doing some heavy squats.

more than that they create shearing forces on the knee.

Exactly what cocky said, they're horrible for your knees when you use high weights. Aside from a rehab exercise, it won't have that much carry over to sports. Squat!

cockysprinter said:
more than that they create shearing forces on the knee.

That is correct, after my knee surgery that was the one exercise my Dr. told me never to do for that exact reason. Squats good, leg extensions bad.

Posts appreciated but it so happens that I hav a back prob, so squatting is out for me.

Is the 'shearing' force that bad? If I increase the weight very slowly will i still get harmed? tho the original question is not solved[cept for the squat]

in theory you should be able to adapt over time, but i just wouldnt suggest it all. maybe front squats? and you should try to strengthen your back to so you can lift properly and have les problems later in life.

If you absolutely had to use a machine for legs the leg press or hack squat would be your best bet.

front squats all the way. if your just limited to no being able the rest the weight on your back. Or you could try those cool squats where you keep the weight over head, think their called hack squats.

Front squats can be terrible to your back if your upper/middle back is fucked up (like mine).
I guess you guys who mentioned front squats assumed he has a LOWER back problem. Or?

Try lunges on box. less wieght on the back.

front squats, lunges, Bulgarian squats and BB hack squats are good choices.

yomon said:
front squats all the way. if your just limited to no being able the rest the weight on your back. Or you could try those cool squats where you keep the weight over head, think their called hack squats.

Overhead squats. I think hack squats are done in a machine...

Barut said:
Overhead squats are more of a trunk strengthening excercise. It is hard to put enough weight overhead to get a good leg workout.
Yeah, I was thinking of trying to put them in my training in a while after I'm a little bit happier with my shoulder strength as I'd currently be expecting to destroy a rotator cuff.

I like ovehead squats. Be sure to start VERY light; like the bar.

Barut said:
I like ovehead squats. Be sure to start VERY light; like the bar.
Yeah, once I get off my arse and actually start working out, instead of sitting here in front of my computer, I'm doing a squat day so I might chuck in a set or two of overhead squats with just the bar, it is something that has always appealed to me and I know some people swear by them.

Hack squats are like a bit deadlift, but you stand in front of the bar;

BBHackSquat.gif

Back