What to do in this case

Barut said:
I like ovehead squats. Be sure to start VERY light; like the bar.

For sure, I almost bailed when I first tried them. Definitely a harder exercise for me to perform.

Then a follow up.. will there b a problem if u do hamstring exercises with the same type of machine? Those where u stand as a starting position then pull back your leg to exercise? I did it n feel slightly strained in my left knee, but just slight.

Does your back problem keep you from being able to do deadlift variants? If not you could try dimmel deads or romanian deads for hamstring work. What exactly is the problem with your back?

your postioning must be compromised. Or you are lifting too much weight. trying moving down and building up or you will end up shredding tendons, ligaments and cartilage

Barut said:
Does your back problem keep you from being able to do deadlift variants? If not you could try dimmel deads or romanian deads for hamstring work. What exactly is the problem with your back?

It aches whenever I sit for 6 hours or more. Standing, perhaps, double that. It is somewhere near the middle back.

As for the latter hamstring exercises, yeah, mayb lower weights. But is there anything inherently wrong with that exercise?

thecas said:
It aches whenever I sit for 6 hours or more. Standing, perhaps, double that. It is somewhere near the middle back.

As for the latter hamstring exercises, yeah, mayb lower weights. But is there anything inherently wrong with that exercise?

Go to a doctor. If your back isn't bad enough to go to a doctor, it isn't too bad to squat with. It's one thing if you have a legitimate back injury, but if its just a little sore and isn't affecting your life enough to go to a doctor over, you shouldn't be structuring your workout around it.

thecas said:

No man, there's nothing "wrong" with hamstring curls, but if you're trying to develop your hamstrings and make them strong there are better excercises. Leg extensions are somewhat dangerous; that's why I suggested that you squat in my first post. It's a good idea to see a dostor if you can. That way you know how serious your back is. Good luck.

If you can't back squat then don't squat at all, overhead squats and front squats are just as bad if not worse (especially given the technique demands, and the requirements on body parts other than your legs).

My suggestion would be to slowly get into back squatting (unless you really have a problem, not just "oh my back feels sore", you don't need to throw yourself straight into the huge weights, just do enough to get the technique right and it shouldn't give you and serious problems. Barring that do some lunges or leg press if you truly can't handle it, but for the record many people have had back injuries and come back to squat (myself included, and several other people I know).

I'm not sure if this has been thrown out there, but do some back stregthening and flexibility exercises.

thecas said:

Go see a doctor, but it just sounds like you may have poor posture, hell my back feels sore after 4 straight hours of lectures (Its either that or the deadlifts the night before). If you have'nt actually got anything serious wrong with your back training your back may well help you out.

RobT said:
Hack squats are like a bit deadlift, but you stand in front of the bar;

BBHackSquat.gif

Hrm I thought that was a hack deadlift. What the hell is a hack deadlift then?

Sean S said:

As far as I know, there is no hack deadlift. Some people call hack squats hack deadlifts because they look more like deadlifts than squats.

Sean S said:

I've also heard them called Reverse Deadlifts.

Back