What style are you?

Freestyle/ Greco Roman Wrestling
and a little BJJ

Submission Grappling.

My instructor was a pro boxer and muay thai fighter who after his career ended turned his strong TMA background into his livelihood (his main style was Goju Ryu Karate), but never stopped evolving, never stopped learning. So it's not true to say BJJ although that's obviously the primary style. Everything we do is No-Gi, though, so I feel that the distinction must be set forth. If I had to break it down, though, it would probably look like this:

1) BJJ
2) Judo
3) Goju Ryu
4) Aikido

We do little with the last two, but when we do self defense, we learn many illegal moves and unorthodox submission holds that would be more valuable on the street (where the attacker is assumed to have a weapon, or friends), and most of these come from the his goju-ryu background and the aikido he knows (although that's a peripheral style even to him).

Puerto Rico Ju-Jitsu(That's the school name)
we practive Judo, Karate, traditional Ju-Jitsu and alot grappling.

MT and Bum-jitsu. I won't call it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu until I'm able to make the time to enroll at a school. Right now I just watch tapes and train with my grappling dummy or friends when I can. MT for about 3 years, BJJ for a few months.

rory_44 said:
not many wrestlers out there
hard to be if you're out of school.

6yrs wrestling
started bjj a month ago

always looking into catch, freestyle, judo, sambo when possible.. no reason to skimp anything in grappling. hopefully starting muay thai soon but classes overlap my bjj.

(woody, i'll be back in class this upcomming monday. i'm in greensboro with the woman until friday and i work all weekend.)

Lester McGrath said:
Puerto Rico Ju-Jitsu(That's the school name)
we practive Judo, Karate, traditional Ju-Jitsu and alot grappling.

I'm going to Puerto Rico today, for a wrestling tournament. Its called the Sparta Cup.

Fight_Song said:
hard to be if you're out of school.

6yrs wrestling
started bjj a month ago

always looking into catch, freestyle, judo, sambo when possible.. no reason to skimp anything in grappling. hopefully starting muay thai soon but classes overlap my bjj.

(woody, i'll be back in class this upcomming monday. i'm in greensboro with the woman until friday and i work all weekend.)

Are there no wrestling clubs in the US?
No Senior wrestling League?

FMBJJ said:
Are there no wrestling clubs in the US?
No Senior wrestling League?
it mostly migrates to submission wrestling/grappling tournaments unless you go for junior olympics after college. there are freestyle and greco clubs near (chapel hill, NC / UNC area) but not a lot fo competition from what i hear. just a weekend thing (cardiac club at UNC) my old hs buddies used to go to.

so us wrestlers migrate to judo or bjj, pretty much. im sure in penn, or iowa and etc you would be able to find something along the lines of ameture competition.

i do combat sambo i did wrestling for 3 years and i did a lil judo

groin striker said:
bjj under braulio estima, just started a month ago, it fuckin rules!!!
Dude, Braulio is one of the guys I'm currently trying to emulate... I love those high amplitude sweeps. I have a video of him against my instructor and he catches him twice with those elevator sweeps, and I know the kind of base and pressure Cassio has, so to pull that off on him is extreemly impressive to me.

Anyway, I'm BJJ. I took a month of Judo, and intend to pursue it more in the future, but can't right now.

3 or 4 jiu jitsu classes a week(gi), 1 or 2 judo classes, did a little muay thai also.

Back