• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What should the UFC do about Kelvin Gastelum?

What should the UFC do about Kelvin Gastelum?

• Total voters
If you miss weight you should have a point deducted automatically at the end of it goes to decision.

The two other times he's referring to are when he fought Nico Musoke & Tyron Woodley back in the day. Weighed in at 180 lbs (was changed to a catchweight) for the Woodley fight.
Nah, I thought it was more than 3, lol.

Gastelum is a badass, and a natural middleweight.
Yes, you heard that right. Cutting weight and dehydrating is unnatural and bodily very unhealthy.
Its not all about height. He may be an inch or two shorter than average for middleweight but he has the build and the bone density to stick to 185. He also has more power there.
Stop this weight cutting bs and stick to where you are healthy and comfortable.

I get what you are saying but in the real world, he is a 50% fighter at MW. So yes, he needs to cut like everyone else or find a new job. Valiantly losing to every second MW is not healthy and preventing him from achieving his career goals.

He's def one of those Hendricks-weight fighters thats just too small for MW even though optimally he'd perform better at that weight

Gastelum is a badass, and a natural middleweight.
Yes, you heard that right. Cutting weight and dehydrating is unnatural and bodily very unhealthy.
Its not all about height. He may be an inch or two shorter than average for middleweight but he has the build and the bone density to stick to 185. He also has more power there.
Stop this weight cutting bs and stick to where you are healthy and comfortable.
Imo he's a WW but extremely undisciplined with his diet. I waste of talent

Reactions: CPH
Hire a nutritionist to follow him around like a USADA agent trying to take his pee sample.

Kelvin is too small for middle weight. In the past his aggressiveness and peak performance made up for it on top of his granite chin, but those days are clearly over.

He's a natural welterweight but he can't be trusted to fight there. Leaving Mike Dolce was the worst career move he ever more. The UFC gave him all the chances in the world but he needs to stay at 185.

How much did he have to pay to D Rod?
Is it still 20%? Base pay or overall?

Kelvin was on a 180/180 pay roll

D Rod was on 50/50 but then signed a new contract after being 6-1 in the UFC. Then went on to 1-3
I think he is on a 78/78, since the Machado fight

So if he got 20% and of 360 = 72 k

That would give him 78/72 plus maybe a bonus or good will from Dana

Last edited:
Permanent banishment to MW. Fuck his "potential" or that "WW was the right weightclass for him". He has to fight bigger guys now and deal with it. He had a competitive fight with Izzy, he can do it if he puts his mind to it.

He's a natural welterweight but he can't be trusted to fight there. Leaving Mike Dolce was the worst career move he ever more. The UFC gave him all the chances in the world but he needs to stay at 185.

He's probably going nowhere in either division but I think the best option is just to force him to stay at welterweight ie he has to make weight for all future fights or he's getting released immediately.

Otherwise let him stay at 185 but give him a murderer's row of tough opponents like Gregory Rodrigues & Anthony Hernandez.

dana should pay tacobell to ban kevin
-or-
dana should pay tacobell to enlarge kevin up to heavyweight

He's probably going nowhere in either division but I think the best option is just to force him to stay at welterweight ie he has to make weight for all future fights or he's getting released immediately.

Otherwise let him stay at 185 but give him a murderer's row of tough opponents like Gregory Rodrigues & Anthony Hernandez.
He's had far too many chances. Unless he publicly hires a nutritionist I would never let him fight at 170 again.

He should stick to MW and get paid way less than what he was making when he was in the title picture. They should offer 80+80 or max 100+100
How much did he have to pay to D Rod?
Is it still 20%? Base pay or overall?

Kelvin was on a 180/180 pay roll

D Rod was on 50/50 but then signed a new contract after being 6-1 in the UFC. Then went on to 1-3
I think he is on a 78/78, since the Machado fight

So if he got 20% and of 360 = 72 k

That would give him 78/72 plus maybe a bonus or good will from Dana
He didn't miss weight. So, how much he gave from his purse to D-Rod is a negotiation between management teams
He's had far too many chances. Unless he publicly hires a nutritionist I would never let him fight at 170 again.
His GF is said to be a nutritionist

He didn't miss weight. So, how much he gave from his purse to D-Rod is a negotiation between management teams

Yeah he didn't literally miss weight ie step on the scale & totally miss what the weight class was signed for (changed to middleweight ahead of weigh ins) but in the eyes of the UFC changing the weight class during fight week because you can't make it is looked at just as badly as missing weight on weigh-in day.

I would not cut him, he is an entertaining fighter.

No idea why him and Rodriguez didn't receive a FOTN.
Haqparast/Gordon was a much better fight and they didnt even bother to give that FOTN for some reason.

Don’t tell him anything. Offer him a fight in the way they do with all fighters and if he misses weight again themselves cut him.

No conditions or stipulations. Treat him like a child and he will act like a child.

Hope he gets his act together - I love watching him fight.

Force guys who can’t make weight to fight at their natural weight class. If their too small who gives a shit

Back