What should Mir's gameplan be for Overeem?

Stall and slow the fight down when Overeem gases attack.

1. Stay away from cage.
2. Circle a lot to try get the fight into deeper waters.
3. Don't show anything with his strikes at first so Overeem gets over confident looking for finish.
4. When AO least expects it, close his eyes (figuratively of course) and swing for the fences hoping he connects.

This is the only game plan that has a chance of working and I'd give it about a 35% chance given Overeem's defense/chin/gas issues.

As a Mir fan, I've pretty much come to expect a TKO loss every time he fights,

that being said, he needs to stay the fuck away from the cage.. I simply can't understand how a guy that big is so easily bullied around by guys his size or even smaller

get reem to the ground and avoid the clinch

very very very bad matchup for mir , he does have a punchers chance or a super fast sub

If Frank can weather the early storm and encourage Overeem to expend significant energy early on this fight is Frank's for the taking.

1. Stay away from cage.
2. Circle a lot to try get the fight into deeper waters.
3. Don't show anything with his strikes at first so Overeem gets over confident looking for finish.
4. When AO least expects it, close his eyes (figuratively of course) and swing for the fences hoping he connects.

This is the only game plan that has a chance of working and I'd give it about a 35% chance given Overeem's defense/chin/gas issues.

I completely agree with 1-2-3

We know Mir turns into a deer in headlights if you muscle him up against the cage. It's his weakest position by a mile and it pairs up horrifically with Overeems ability to drive a knee into your organs.

IMO if he can avoid that position for the first few minutes, he can hang with Overeem anywhere. Mir needs to show up with the best footwork and cardio he's ever had. In open water he's reasonably safe exchanging or even spamming his slow mechanical take down.

Up against the cage and he's toast.

This is a terrible match up for Mir, idk how he wins, I'm guessing that he's going to try to push Reem up against the cage to get him down but I see Reem outmuscling him and reversing those positions repeatedly.

If all else fails he can run around in circles until Reem gasses

Stakes are very high for Frank in this fight and Overeem is a very dangerous opponent for him. Mir has his work cut out for him - what do you think his gameplan will be?

Get the fight to the ground: Overeem has good knees, a dangerous guillotine and Werdum couldn't get him down. He's also excellent in the clinch, which is Mir's #1 weakness.

Maybe new lighter, more mobile Mir should try to stand with Overeem and keep moving and outwork him, avoid toe-to-toe exchanges and look for a takedown later in the fight?

Survive the first 2 mins then..............win...........

Take him down fast, survive for 5 minutes, auto win due to Reem having no cardio.

Stakes are very high for Frank in this fight and Overeem is a very dangerous opponent for him. Mir has his work cut out for him - what do you think his gameplan will be?

Get the fight to the ground: Overeem has good knees, a dangerous guillotine and Werdum couldn't get him down. He's also excellent in the clinch, which is Mir's #1 weakness.

Maybe new lighter, more mobile Mir should try to stand with Overeem and keep moving and outwork him, avoid toe-to-toe exchanges and look for a takedown later in the fight?

Wait for about a minute until Reem totally gasses out. His cardio has been horrible in his recent fights

Stick, move stay the hell out of the clinch at all costs and wait for Reem to gas.. He will then attack..

As an Overeem fan, I can't even say that I'm not worried that he will find a way to lose this.

Some of you guys are saying "wait for Alistair to gas" like Frank is a cardio king.

"If I had to choose between running and getting hit with a baseball bat, I would choose the bat" - Frank Mir.

As much as I like Frank, his cardio also sucks.

Unless he can get it to hit the floor and work his BJJ magic, it's hard to see how he can win this one.

Throw 1-2 combos and flop on his back repeatedly until the fight ends.

Back