What should Mir's gameplan be for Overeem?

Colossal Squid**

Green Belt
Reaction score
Stakes are very high for Frank in this fight and Overeem is a very dangerous opponent for him. Mir has his work cut out for him - what do you think his gameplan will be?

Get the fight to the ground: Overeem has good knees, a dangerous guillotine and Werdum couldn't get him down. He's also excellent in the clinch, which is Mir's #1 weakness.

Maybe new lighter, more mobile Mir should try to stand with Overeem and keep moving and outwork him, avoid toe-to-toe exchanges and look for a takedown later in the fight?

dont let overeem kick box and keep his distance, also dont let him clinch, the needs to be aggressive and take him down, but i dont see him being able to at this point in his career

Front kick Overeem's face 20 times until it knocks Overeem out

Stay away from the cage

1 Get kicked and punched into oblivion and barely survive
2 Wait for Overeem to gas
3 Touch his chin

Seems a legit gameplan so far.

This is going to be a good fight.

Both fighters coming off two losses in a row.

I am a huge Frank Mir fan ... I can only think of him catching Overeem with a big punch as his only chance.

He can't take Overeem done, he can't out work him in the clinch (Mir's number one weakness) and he can't technically outstrike Overeem other than maybe landing a wild overhand.

Mir's only chance ... is to stand with Overeem ... ie ... he basically has no chance.

What he did against Kongo might work. Fake the takedown then hammer him with an overhand right.

Frank Mir plods forward like he's done. Frank Mir will gas in the first round. Get rocked. Stumble like a clown. But Frank Mir will wait to get lucky.

Mir always seems to get lucky.

dont let overeem kick box and keep his distance, also dont let him clinch, the needs to be aggressive and take him down, but i dont see him being able to at this point in his career

I agree he's going to have to be very committed to getting the takedown, in the past (for instance against JDS) we've seen him give up and be content to stand but I don't want to see him do that here.

Even if he's pulling guard or ending up in scrambles he needs to get this to the ground somehow.

Edit: if Mir forces Overeem to respect the TD and keep his hands lower, as well as if he gets him tired, that will give him more chance for the overhand right or some of his new high kicks, I still think that's Plan B though.

Despite Reem's state of mind lately, Mir is ripe for the beatdown. Mir eats punches for breakfast and has good wrestling at best; even then, he's reluctant to grapple and seems to prefer striking.

i'll laugh so hard if Mir knocks out overeem with a front kick to the face or spinning heel kick. If I remember right he was actually pulling a few of those out against Cormier.

Hit him in the face. He'll just stand there and let Mir blast him, kind of like Overeems last two fights.

Do. Not. Be. On. The. Cage.

I don't think Mir has much of a chance to repeat what Browne did. I believe his only chance is to somehow get this thing to the ground.

Back