What should be a gameplan for Poirier to beat Khabib?

Keep striking distance
No clinching
Don't let his back touch the cage
Piston jab
Intelligent, patient, non-stop hands
Minimal kicks
Crazy cardio

...that's a tall mountain to climb...

Make Khabib work hard for every TD. Make Beeb work hard to keep him down. When Khabib starts running out of TD's in round 3-4 as he has been prone to do recently, Let the damn hands go.

Both Al and Conor did a decent job of spending a fair amount of time standing in the middle rounds(Al moreso), but neither really committed to the offensive out put once they got it standing. Poirier's camp should be focused almost entirely on cardio. If he is able to strike with volume from round 3 on, it is a winnable fight imo.

Well, he is going down anyway. I would benefit of that, trying vicious knees or guillotine chokes on Khabib's takedown attempts. Many of it, always when Khabib tries a takedown, and mixing both to confuse him. And while in standup, beat his face pretty bad, get in his face and make him brawl.

spend the whole first round trying to take Khabib down. it's just crazy enough to work

Does Dustin have the worst ground game in the division? Striking?
He got mounted and pinned by Eddie Alvarez. That says enough about his ground game.

The striking is obviously elite but it won't matter if he can't use it.

I don't think it would be realistic for Dustin to think he won't get taken down. If I were him I'd probably try to stay patient on my back, not rush to get up, and realise I can win the title by decision with 3 good minutes of stand up in 3 rounds.

show up uninjured, stay off the mat, the rest will happen naturally

First thought out the gate would be to use his length, specifically front kicks however that could lead to Khabib taking him down which then would be Game Over! After second thought.

Still, use his length

Everyone here is correct in how to do it (sprawl and brawl ) . The problem is actually implementing the plan.

Hope that Khabib does something crazy and win by DQ

Dustin hasn't fought anyone with the grappling ability of Khabib, other than some flash K.O. I don't see how he wins this fight, he might be able to stuff a few takedowns but Khabib is relentless and this will effect Dustin's boxing, look what happened to McGregor he couldn't let his hands go because of the threat of the takedown and the same will happen to Dustin.

His gameplan will be the same that everyone else has tried, stuff takedowns and beat him on the feet but it's another thing entirely making that happen.

Make it a boxing match mixed with fast low kicks and hope for a decision.

If he tries to kick high, he's getting taken down. If he gets his back against the fence, he's getting taken down. If he tries to clinch, he's getting pushed against the fence and taken down. Footwork, footwork, footwork, make Khabib spam takedown attempts and gas himself, but for godsake, don't do anything to make the takedown easier.

Make Khabib work hard for every TD. Make Beeb work hard to keep him down. When Khabib starts running out of TD's in round 3-4 as he has been prone to do recently, Let the damn hands go.

Both Al and Conor did a decent job of spending a fair amount of time standing in the middle rounds(Al moreso), but neither really committed to the offensive out put once they got it standing. Poirier's camp should be focused almost entirely on cardio. If he is able to strike with volume from round 3 on, it is a winnable fight imo.

Dustin has one of the worst TDD's in the entire division, if Jim Miller, Alvarez and Pettis can get him down Khabib is going to maul him.

Back