What should be a gameplan for Poirier to beat Khabib?

Dustin has to keep his back off the cage at all costs. Stick and move baby that's his only shot.
Pretty much this. Run around the octagon all night like he's on cocaine and throw jabs. Stupid and simple enough to work. Maybe.

Ya. But I've seen 15 years of Lawler fights, not just his last fight ;) IMO it's a fine example.

If you have a counter to my argument premise - that a brawl & sprawl would fit his existing style better than a Condit v Diaz style limited engagement pecking for points from the outside, and gives him his best chance of success - instead of a silly nitpick, I would gladly listen. Cheers.
You said yourself you doubt Poirier has what it takes for Khabib in the grappling department. And I agree with you. That's why I think he needs a different strategy, a unique one, one that doesn't get him clinched or up against a cage. I think Dustin can do well hitting and running. His standup is superior and he needs to make sure the fight stays on the feet at all times.

Last edited:
Poirier likes to hang and bang. If he does that, its likely hes going to get taken down and worked to tko on the ground.
Distance, jabs and occasional knee counter to takedowns. Maybe a headkick when both getting up from a scramble. Khabib rarely kicks.
However, Khabib is a cardio machine, will go forward and can take a shot. So who knows.

Realistically, Dustin doesn’t have lots of chances to beat Khabib. Khabib already fought strikers which have a similar style to Poirier and he easily defeated them.

So what should be a gameplan for Poirier to beat Khabib? I wrote some thoughts on this topic here: https://khabibmcgregor.com/khabib-vs-poirier-predictions/.

Basically I see the only chance for Poirier to win is to take a risk, go all-in and try to KO Khabib early in the 1st or 2nd round.

Do you see any other scenario of how Poirier can beat Nurmagomedov?
Briefly:

-to not play against the ropes much in order to avoid pinning
-to throw volume instead of single shots and aim the body
-to switch orthodox and use a lead hook from that stance bc of the Nurmagomedov's opening vs. righty
-to time up Nurmagomedov off of the fence
-to press forward when Nurmagomedov wants breaks
-to use his jab from southpaw that comes underneath - it would prevent double leg entry bc of the instant down block

I don't think Nurmagomedov has fought anyone with the identical skillset to Poirier's, and vice versa.

Briefly:
-to not play against the ropes much in order to avoid pinning
-to throw volume instead of single shots and aim the body
-to switch orthodox and use a lead hook from that stance bc of the Nurmagomedov's opening vs. righty
-to time up Nurmagomedov off of the fence
-to press forward when Nurmagomedov wants breaks
-to use his jab from southpaw that comes underneath - it would prevent double leg entry bc of the instant down block.​

1. Yes.
2. Not sure. Khabib is focused on one thing, take you down and beat you up, so volume should be matched with footwork.
3. I would say uppercuts, but with them distance and timing is the key. So footwork again.
4. Very hard. Khabib is best at working his opponents against the cage, lots of pressure. Better not get there at all.
5. Yes
6. What if Khabib shoots for td, eats the jab an gets the td anyway? Risky.

1. Yes.
2. Not sure. Khabib is focused on one thing, take you down and beat you up, so volume should be matched with footwork.
3. I would say uppercuts, but with them distance and timing is the key. So footwork again.
4. Very hard. Khabib is best at working his opponents against the cage, lots of pressure. Better not get there at all.
5. Yes
6. What if Khabib shoots for td, eats the jab an gets the td anyway? Risky.
@ 2:
Usually body is the nearest target when someone is leaning back from you (Khabib's habit). Also when someone leans, his next motion will be to get back in center slot, which is why you have to multiply your offence in order to capitalize. First punch my not catch him, but follow up blow can be a deadly one.
@ 3:
Uppercut is a very short range weapon and you don't wanna be very close to someone who wants clinch. Since Dustin uses his lead hook very effectively, he should try it from orthodox over the Nurmagomedov's elbow block / shoulder. Khabib's other side is way more defensively disciplined.​

@ 4:
Dustin does a lot of cage grabbing before he throws head kicks or naked crosses. Assuming Nurmagomedov would try to press him when he's in close quarters, Dustin doesn't have nothing to lose but to try throw off of the fence.​

@ 6:
Dustin, naturally a lefty, most of the time stays southpaw and fires the jab from the hips. Jab from the hips comes underneath the punches and it's hard to see. But what is more important, having a lead hand very low would prevent opponent from shooting doubles from far away bc you have an easy down block. That's defensively sound technique choice.​

Stop the takedown and EASILLY beat him up on the feet.
I see Dustin by late Tko in this fight. His cardio is there. His striking is dynamic and he has power.
He has a good ground game too.
Styles make fights and I see this as khabibs toughest matchup.
He will get beat up in this fight even in victory imo
<{clintugh}>{<huh}<Huh2><{MindBrown}><{vega}>

@ 2:Usually body is the nearest target when someone is leaning back from you (Khabib's habit). Also when someone leans, his next motion will be to get back in center slot, which is why you have to multiply your offence in order to capitalize. First punch my not catch him, but follow up blow can be a deadly one.
@ 3:Uppercut is a very short range weapon and you don't wanna be very close to someone who wants clinch. Since Dustin uses his lead hook very effectively, he should try it from orthodox over the Nurmagomedov's elbow block / shoulder. Khabib's other side is way more defensively disciplined.
@ 4:Dustin does a lot of cage grabbing before he throws head kicks or naked crosses. Assuming Nurmagomedov would try to press him when he's in close quarters, Dustin doesn't have nothing to lose but to try throw off of the fence.
@ 6:Dustin, naturally a lefty, most of the time stays southpaw and fires the jab from the hips. Jab from the hips comes underneath the punches and it's hard to see. But what is more important, having a lead hand very low would prevent opponent from shooting doubles from far away bc you have an easy down block. That's defensively sound technique choice.

2: As i said, volume with footwork. Nothing against aiming to the body. My point was to throw volume to get range (and maybe to set up something but who knows)
3. Uppercuts can be midrange or even lead uppercut with a step. Risky tho and not what i meant. I just think instead of "switch and hook" Poirier should throw a upper from whatever stance he is, cos he can throw it with power and fast.
4. I dunno. Anytime i think about Poirier against the cage pressed by Khabib, i see win for Khabib.
6. As i said, what if Khabib eats it, presses forward anyway and gets the TD? Wll this jab, which Khabib didnt see, stop him?

Ah, we are arguing about future we know nothing about. We will see, eh?

Go full Viking Mode and rush him with the best shit he has, right at the start.

Otherwise it’s gonna go like Tony said it would. Back to cage, ground and pound, TKO.

He should get a time machine, go back 25 years and tell his younger self to wrestle 2 times day bc a crazy Muslim is coming for him

I'm conflicted. One of my coaches trained with Dustin and I almost always gun for local fights...but Khabib is a fucking freak of nature and seeing him dominate makes it hard to cheer against him.

Did he say anything about training with Poirier that you wouldn't expect?

A lot of stupid answers on here. Stop the take down? No shit. You think everyone that has lost to Khabib has tried that? Everyone comes in knowing they have to stay on their feet and not get taken down. None of them have been able to stop it. So now, all the sudden, Poirier's camp is going to devise a plan to stop the take down? Ridiculous.

All you can do is keep your distance. Jab and move. Jab and move. Hopefully that would take its toll on Khabib.

Don’t head hunt. Throw shots to the body. Ditch the kicks and stay off the fence

1. Realistically, Dustin doesn’t have lots of chances to beat Khabib. Khabib already fought strikers which have a similar style to Poirier and he easily defeated them.

2. So what should be a gameplan for Poirier to beat Khabib? I wrote some thoughts on this topic here: https://khabibmcgregor.com/khabib-vs-poirier-predictions/.

3. Basically I see the only chance for Poirier to win is to take a risk, go all-in and try to KO Khabib early in the 1st or 2nd round.

4. Do you see any other scenario of how Poirier can beat Nurmagomedov?

I think the first move on Poirier's part is not to get caught up in the hype of what's called MMA. As follows from your article;
WE ALREADY SAW HOW KHABIB DESTROYED ELITE STRIKERS LIKE MICHAEL JOHNSON, EDSON BARBOZA, AND CONOR MCGREGOR. WILL THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO POIRIER OR HE WILL SURPRISE THE MMA WORLD AND BE THE FIRST GUY TO BEAT THE UNDEFEATED RUSSIAN CHAMP? WE WILL FIND OUT SOON ENOUGH ON SEPTEMBER 7.

What MMA calls 'elite' and what is elite by dedicated striking professionals, there is a very wide crevasse. McGregor in particular, was a great disappointment. These competitors, like your approach, rely on some mythical game plan which the practice was made highly popularized by BigName coaches like Gerg Jackson & Mike Winkeljohn. Problem is, the latter is a substitute for inbred skills, which then fails when the going gets really rough. We have Marlon Moraes as the latest, greatest example.

Dustin's got to think about what HE'S gonna do to win. Not worry about the also rans, and media darling fall-down-go- booms....:D

Thats' Step 1.

keep a distance and let his arms go early, the minute you turn into a defensive shell against Khabib throwing all of 1 punch a round you lose

Move your feet well laterally and jab. Attack khabib's body a lot so that he can't duck under for a takedown. Don't gas out wrestling with khabib--if he gets you down, look to play the guard game until the round ends, otherwise khabib will let you work your way up just to do endless mat returns, break you back down and sap your energy.

Takedown defense and stamina.

If 'Po Boy Poirier can handle these things well then we all know he can win with his hands.

I mean I don't recall DP fizzling out but he does start to slow down. He's going to a have a huge challenge with these takedowns and Habib will spam em

I see Dustin stuffing the first few takedowns, and over the course of the fight khabib is gonna push the pace until he does what he does best.

Back