What separates Mir's submissions from the rest

Heavyweight submissions just aren't as good and for takedowns it is setup and direction changes.

Why does Mir not get shit for holding subs until something snaps but Palhares is banned and stripped of his belt for the same stuff? Double standards yo.

Why does Mir not get shit for holding subs until something snaps but Palhares is banned and stripped of his belt for the same stuff? Double standards yo.

Mir snaps your shit and then you tap, Palhares makes you tap and then holds it trying to snap it.

A deeper understanding of leverage.

Size is a big factor for Frank. Things are more apt to break when a 260 pounder is cranking something to submission compared to when a lighter weight is cranking something.

Takedowns take a lot more coordination than is given credit. People forget they are watching the pinnacle of MMA when they see these takedowns and they don't appreciate that.

Yeah, mentally.

I wouldn't call him full retard, but slow for sure.

How can you explain a guy that takes too long to release submissions but stops striking out of a sudden because he thought he won the fight?

Considering the consequences he's suffered in the past, after being put on notice... then going to a new org and being warned upfront and still pulling shenanigans - I'd be surprised if he didn't have some cognitive impairment.

Is it his committment level? I think a lot of fighters get a sub and slowly apply the pressure to get the tap, where as Mir cranks it not caring what the end result is.

Also what separates elite takedowns from a lot of mma guys? Guys like GSP, Frankie, Mendes and Chael drive at you like they are Goldberg trying to spear your ass. Where as a lot of guys reach and then try to pull you down as opposed to mowing you over?

Not a techincal discussion but is that the basis on why a guy like Mir is so deadly with subs and other guys with their takedowns is that they are going all the way through?

I think what separates mirs submissions from the rest is his lack of defense in the guard. I feel he doesn't react well to shots

Yeah, mentally.

I wouldn't call him full retard, but slow for sure.

How can you explain a guy that takes too long to release submissions but stops striking out of a sudden because he thought he won the fight?

now what would be really great, is if he went that way with subs. Takes them down, grabs a leg, no tap or injury whatsoever, but he just gets up and starts running around like he won.

Seems somewhat similar to the Josh Barnett "catch wrestling" submission style. Like Roy said a couple of posts up, IMO many Brazilian HW submission artists are coming from a pure BJJ background.

When Mir and Barnett were growing up in the USA, BJJ was not that popular here at that time. I'd throw a young Jeff Monson into that group.

It just seems like they were among the first US HW's on board seriously focusing on submissions.

That said, again IMO, the Brazilian HW submission artists are far more comfortable working from the bottom that you Mir's, Barnetts and Monsons who basically adjusted their overall grappling styles to give them the best opportunity to work from the top.

Considering the consequences he's suffered in the past, after being put on notice... then going to a new org and being warned upfront and still pulling shenanigans - I'd be surprised if he didn't have some cognitive impairment.

I'm much more inclined to assume he's simply a mean-spirited prick than to think he's clinically "dumb". Some people are just jerks.

Mir is strong is hell and goes in at 100% as soon as he grabs A limb.

Mir vs Nog 2 will always be my favourite and most satisfying Mir win I've seen to date.

THANK YOU.

All these Dana fans worship Mir's nut sack but hate on Paul Harris because Dana says they should. Paul Harris has never actually hurt anyone, but Mir broke Tim's arm, broke Nog's arm, and choked Kongo out. But because Dana says you shouldn't like Paul Harris, he gets shit for holding a kimura a couple of seconds too long while Mir is cranking on subs WAY TOO LONG until arms break. It's a disgusting double standard.

THANK YOU.

All these Dana fans worship Mir's nut sack but hate on Paul Harris because Dana says they should. Paul Harris has never actually hurt anyone, but Mir broke Tim's arm, broke Nog's arm, and choked Kongo out. But because Dana says you shouldn't like Paul Harris, he gets shit for holding a kimura a couple of seconds too long while Mir is cranking on subs WAY TOO LONG until arms break. It's a disgusting double standard.

Mir even brags about holding subs too long and breaking people's limbs. Palhares at least shows some remorse and introspection about it.

Mir even brags about holding subs too long and breaking people's limbs. Palhares at least shows some remorse and introspection about it.

Mir does not brag about holding subs too long. Don't make shit up.

When did Mir hold subs too long? I know he snapped some arms, but did he continue after the opponents tapped, or the ref stopped the fight.

Toquinho even cranks harder when the ref tries to stop it. Can't remember when Mir did that.

He works on the intricacies of moves most HWs have never heard of.

I remember thinking GSP could have broke Dan Hardy's arm if he really wanted to.

That's what Toquinho does and gets shat on for it.
Just because he's slow as fuck.

Frank lets go when they tap, he doesn't keep cranking until the referee has to pry him off for 2 or 3 seconds more.

Big difference.

THANK YOU.

Those guys didn't tap, Mir held it until the ref stopped it and stopped immediately when the ref stepped in.

Paul Harris opponents all tapped, then the idiot kept cranking, then the ref stepped in and tried to pull him off, he kept cranking then finally let go.

How stupid are you that you can't see the difference?

Back