What makes a fighter a slow starter

Coming in dry, as in not having a good warm up in the back is a huge factor.

That was George Foreman's take on it and I tend to agree with him. Frank Mir also said something similar.

Take a fight and you'll figure it out. The pressure on your mind is insane sometimes

Ben Askren would have saved himself from a flying knee if he would have just started a little bit more cautious. Diving right into your gameplan isn't always the best step. I think some fighters just take a little longer to get comfortable/confident during the fight.

Everyone finds a flow state differently

Some quick, for others it takes a bit longer

Those who've attained more mental mastery, calm and zen can tap into it more readily and at will

Coming in dry, as in not having a good warm up in the back is a huge factor.

That was George Foreman's take on it and I tend to agree with him. Frank Mir also said something similar.
That's the physical element of it, the mental component is another

Though both are connected as well obviously

That's the physical element of it, the mental component is another

Though both are connected as well obviously

Yeah, Mir goes into that a bit to. His interview on this is actually phenomenal, I almost forgot how articulate he is and what a great mind he has for the sport.

In my experience? Carbon monoxide poisoning is your best bet.

Just read your actual post.

I don't know. Personality?

Probably not CO poisoning though.

Can be a mix of things. Being nervous so getting a sweat can loosen them up.
Gauging the opposition. I feel this is cowboys reason. He probably likes to find out where he feels the opponents weakest. Because he’s quite well rounded if he feels during a fight he’s better somewhere he’ll take it there. Often he gets caught early so can’t really adapt.

giphy.gif

Maybe you feel too well disposed toward people to want to hurt them until they hurt you.

Probably a combo of strategy and mental. Lots of fighters want to feel the other fighter out to figure out their quickness, timing, habits, reactions to certain probes, etc. Plus wading forward and getting punched in the face isn't something most people enjoy...

Back