What makes a fighter a slow starter

Guys like cowboy Cerrone have lost fights because they are slow starters.

Is it excessive weight cutting or something mental?
with cowboy its mental for sure, the way he describes his emotions in this video makes a lot of sense why he's so tentative at first

I think like guys mentioned in here its a lot of different factors, from being anxious, to feeling out your opponent, gathering data, or just needing to wake up.

I suffer from this as well. When boxing for some reason I cant get my head completely in the game until I get cracked good a couple of times, but when that happens its like my brain shifts into next gear and I suddenly get that crazy tunnel vision and then I start fighting to my actual capabilities.
It sucks. I always thought it was maybe the nerves, but it also always happens during sparring, and I have zero nerves for sparring. Its like I’m stuck in this mental mode of still sitting on the couch chilling, and when I get a good whack I start fully realizing I’m not chilling at home anymore.

Imagine having massive physical advantages and still juicing to beat past their prime middle weights.

Ah yes, I forgot.

Black guys who dominate = physical advantages.

White guys who dominate = hard work and skill.

“Slow starter” = person who gets fucked up at the beginning and then wins

Some legends like to bleed their own blood to let them know they're in a fight before even starting the warm-up.

Diazbros_crop_exact.jpg

its nerves. before the fight and for the first few minutes of a fight its easier to way overrthink things, and let the moment get the best of you. but after you get punched in the face a bit you loosen up and just want to get it back.

If it's Mousasi, it's boredom.
If A. Silva, "gathering data."
If Conor, ring rust.
If Jorge, lack of food...
It varies.

The Silva gathering data comment from Rogan always made me laugh.

Guys like cowboy Cerrone have lost fights because they are slow starters.

Is it excessive weight cutting or something mental?
Confidence, lack of preparation and strategy. Other guys like feel the opponent out first to get their timing down. Nothing to do with weight cutting.

Back