What kind techniques do all Sambo mma fighters use?

Yrat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People are always talking about leglocks, so far i have never seen Fedor or Khabib be close to make a leglock during the last decade.

What have you noticed in Russians and non-russian combat sambo fighters are using in mma that make them unique?

I have noticed two things

- catching a low kick and counter with an overhand, good in general to counter a low kick or roundhouse. Fedor have used that couple of times

- counter attack while going backwards, if someone will rush against them they can somehow boxing while going backwards. Fedor used that against Arlovski

- only good at some joint locks such as armbars, Kimura or Americana

Let me hear you thoughts

In grappling pure sports sambo ( non combat sambo where striking is allowed ) is a bit more terrible opposition.

Yes, rules are rules, but chokes from Judo Curriculum they can learn easily & despite leglock rules, not that much problem for them to learn some 30 + techniques to add.
These also not rarerly aren't weaker than wrestlers.
-
Leg locks, National arts, for example form Yakutia had too plenty a lot.
boxing while going backwards.
This is good level h2h related stuff too, so not exclusive to one Art.

most sambo guys in mma use lot more body lock takedowns and throws from whizzers most sambo guys i see arnt super slick crafty but really durable tough my friend was the m1 light weight champ in 2010 2011 when fedor was fighting for m1 and he even told me russians arnt super technical in his fights but they just keep coming and u better be in damn good shape going in

Mostly armbars and leg locks. Yet, in the UFC, they rarely go for a leg lock or, for example, sliding heel hook, and I don't know why. Ryo Chonan still has the best sliding heel hook (vs Silva) and he is not even a Sambo dude.

Mostly armbars and leg locks. Yet, in the UFC, they rarely go for a leg lock or, for example, sliding heel hook, and I don't know why. Ryo Chonan still has the best sliding heel hook (vs Silva) and he is not even a Sambo dude.
cause most guys in ufc are hardly on the ground nowadays due to ho w good they are lol

They punch, kick, and grab.

i guess hes wondering what really is sambos biggest thing almost all martial arts are known for a cetrain aspect tkd guys are known for their side kicks muay thai guys are known for their round house kick with clinch and knees elbows,boxers punches footwork,bjj submissions positional control,wrestlers,takedowns sambo guys use to be known as leg lockers today bjj guys caught up and are better on average prob nowadays.

so guess he wants to know whats sambos main thing they do better than others

From experience, many Sambo guys specialize in pressure and relentlessness.

That being said there can be a lot of differences from practitioner to practitioner just like in any grappling art. Different competitors with different body types may have varying A games and go to techniques. But all of them I've trained with put out a boatload of pressure.

The leglock game from sambo is primitive compared to the new meta of no-gi grappling, Gordon Ryan knows way more about setups and positions for leglocks than any sambo guy ever did.

As far as submissions go, they have tend to do more armbars than leglocks in my experience.

I dont know that sambo fighters were never great at leglocks by today's standards. I just think they allowed leg locks back when bjj guys frowned on them.

The leglock game from sambo is primitive compared to the new meta of no-gi grappling, Gordon Ryan knows way more about setups and positions for leglocks than any sambo guy ever did.
maybe but Sambo still has some of the best leg locks

How many top sport sambo players have you seen or studied? You're dismissing the entire history of a sport pretty offhandedly.

How many top sport sambo players have you seen or studied? You're dismissing the entire history of a sport pretty offhandedly.
The incredible evolution that bjj had in leglocks was quite a thing in the last 10 years, with ultra competitive guys analyzing and applying it all the time ib competitions. Just check some Danaher, Ryan, Lachlan Giles instructional on leglocks, it is far ahead of what we had in sambo, bjj or whatever.

The incredible evolution that bjj had in leglocks was quite a thing in the last 10 years, with ultra competitive guys analyzing and applying it all the time ib competitions. Just check some Danaher, Ryan, Lachlan Giles instructional on leglocks, it is far ahead of what we had in sambo, bjj or whatever.

Again, what sort of familiarity do you have with sport sambo to base this claim on? I think you are dismissing an entire sport's history out of hand.

You can appreciate Danaher and company for what they are doing without making sweeping claims about the irrelevance of an entire art. Also, you're ignoring luta livre and catch-wrestling when you say only sambo and BJJ have leglocks. Sambo largely derived their leglocks from catch-wrestling, as their archives show, especially the toe-hold. They referred to it as "American freestyle" but what they meant was catch-as-catch-can.

I would see for yourself what sport sambo has to offer before making such a claim, in any event. And if you have made a close study of it, then I apologize for presuming you have not.

Again, what sort of familiarity do you have with sport sambo to base this claim on? I think you are dismissing an entire sport's history out of hand.

You can appreciate Danaher and company for what they are doing without making sweeping claims about the irrelevance of an entire art. Also, you're ignoring luta livre and catch-wrestling when you say only sambo and BJJ have leglocks. Sambo largely derived their leglocks from catch-wrestling, as their archives show, especially the toe-hold. They referred to it as "American freestyle" but what they meant was catch-as-catch-can.

I would see for yourself what sport sambo has to offer before making such a claim, in any event. And if you have made a close study of it, then I apologize for presuming you have not.
Catch wrestling is basically dead and absorbed by overall no-gi grappling, so is luta livre, it has all become grappling. I've watched sport sambo, saw tutorials and such. It was quite good for its time, but current no-gi grapplers took the leglock game to the next level. Grappling has had non-stop innovations for decades now, feel sports have evolved so much in so little time while Sambo, Catch and such still use lessons from almost a hundred years ago. It's all about the meta-game evolving.

Catch wrestling is basically dead and absorbed by overall no-gi grappling, so is luta livre, it has all become grappling. I've watched sport sambo, saw tutorials and such. It was quite good for its time, but current no-gi grapplers took the leglock game to the next level. Grappling has had non-stop innovations for decades now, feel sports have evolved so much in so little time while Sambo, Catch and such still use lessons from almost a hundred years ago. It's all about the meta-game evolving.

Well, for one thing, context is huge. Sport sambo has specific rules and conditions. You have limited ground time, you cannot pull guard or butt-scoot and if you are going to submit an opponent you basically have to be able to navigate the standing game and either find a way to transition into your submission from standing or execute your attack fast enough to avoid a stand-up. In the context of say, EBI rules or submission-only rules, certainly Danaher's students and those influenced by them have thrived, but that is a very different context and the top sambo players have not even necessarily participated in that arena, just as most top ADCC playes and submission-only players haven't done much world-class sport sambo. But either way, I think there is waaaay too much out there in sport sambo to dismiss it out of hand and additionally, I think there are things that people in the sambo game do brilliantly which everyone can learn from, including as regards the lower-body game, not the least of which is their ability to integrate their standing entries with their wrestling game, allowing failed takedowns to set-up leg-attack entries and vice-versa.

As far as luta livre and catch, I wouldn't say either one is dead. Being absorbed by other grapplers doesn't kill a style, if anything it propagates it and ensures its survival, even if under a different name. Also, Japanese and Brazilian catch guys continue to do well and do continue to improve and change--take Nicholas Reiner, whom Baret Yoshida referred to as using a pass he'd never seen before in their ADCC match. Pequeno Nogueira's little brother has done well for himself on the international stage, winning the ADCC Brazil trials a couple years back which is nothing to sneeze at, given the country he did it in.

And if you look at Garry Tonon, one of Danaher's greatest disciples, he was clearly heavily influenced by Japanese catch-wrestling, sambo and luta livre.

Marcelo Brigadeiro is another guy I'd mention. Very insightful and I don't think his grappling insights are at all irrelevant.

Back