Trending techniques and tendencies in UFC MMA

A technique I use a lot that I'm surprised doesn't get used much is the crucifix submission or the neck crank that you can get off of it -- I'm not referring to the side control crucifix but rather the position where you have double underhooks and the head tucked under the armpit. AJ McKee submitted Darion Caldwell with a similar position.

Also, Katsunori Kikuno had Eddie Alvarez in trouble for a brief moment with it years back. https://www.mmafighting.com/2009/10...tsunori-kikunos-standing-crucifix-on-eddie-al

The Ruotolo brothers recently both hit arm-in rear naked chokes at ONE at the same event. This could easily become a new meta.

I note Montana De La Rosa attempted this against Andrea Lee with about 2:30 left in rd1. Din Thomas then declared it was impossible to finish with the arm-in, and insulted Felder for suggesting it could have been a submission.
How is that meta?

Let me just say in defence of Din Thomas: I have his 1001 Submissions instructional and it really elevated my game. Every time I would get stuck going for a submission, he had an alternate attack that would do the trick.

I'm not saying he's the best coach or commentator, but he is really good in at least one area and I have a healthy respect for it.

EgC_giqXsAAZbXC.jpg
Twittkwondo has become a very popular art form

A lot of these guys spend more time training it than ufc anymore
Typekwondo

The other is just more knees to the body when opponents are on the ground, while I get it can cause you to give up position they're just so damn high reward and low risk, I'm often surprised you don't see more people getting really good at iit.
The only fights that come to my mind that successfully employed knees to the body of a grounded opponent were GSP Serra 2 and Kongo Herring.

Very effective and both GSP and Herring maintained top control while their opponents had no answer for those strikes.

Edit: I also recall Rashad finishing Tito with a single knee to the body while he was sat down pinned to the cage.

According to Joe Rogan the rubber guard is going to take over any day now
I recall Jason Black destroying Belcher with rubber guard and elbows off his back. I thought he was the shit until Bisping finished him with ease on his next bout.

Once again, that was a long ass time ago and I haven't seen anyone do that since.

A technique I use a lot that I'm surprised doesn't get used much is the crucifix submission or the neck crank that you can get off of it -- I'm not referring to the side control crucifix but rather the position where you have double underhooks and the head tucked under the armpit. AJ McKee submitted Darion Caldwell with a similar position.

Also, Katsunori Kikuno had Eddie Alvarez in trouble for a brief moment with it years back. https://www.mmafighting.com/2009/10...tsunori-kikunos-standing-crucifix-on-eddie-al

Chris Cariaso used it against Takeya Mizugaki:

Let me just say in defence of Din Thomas: I have his 1001 Submissions instructional and it really elevated my game. Every time I would get stuck going for a submission, he had an alternate attack that would do the trick.

I'm not saying he's the best coach or commentator, but he is really good in at least one area and I have a healthy respect for it.
I really like Din Thomas. His insights are usually very good.

Other than arm in RNCs, the next evolution in triangles are leg inside triangles:

In all seriousness Karel Pravec's cryangle is money:

Pffff

Gimme a break dude. Everyone was thinking that. Literally the whole world thought he was done.

Jon Anik didn't. Here's the post I made about it last year:
I don't recall how accurate or insightful he's been prior, but that remark by Din has made me instantly disbelieve anything he's said since then. Credit to Anik for not going with it...and of course the KO happened right as he was disputing Din's claim.

It's actually pretty interesting to hear the commentary there. Rogan is completely in Din's camp, DC is neutral (accepting that it's what Din said but not explicitly agreeing with it), and Anik actually says the opposite.

Rogan: "He may have resigned himself to losing a decision."
DC: "Well that's what Din Thomas said."
Rogan: "Yeah."
DC: "He feels like that would be a moral victory for Leon Edwards."
Anik: "But that is not the cloth from which he is cut."
DC: "No."
Anik: "That is a OH! NO WAY!"

I find it interesting to watch how the MMA in the UFC evolves, and sometimes devolves over time. The UFC fighters watch the same fights that we do, and pick up on same things that we see, and you can often see how certain new successful moves or techniques get attempted by future fighters. Some of techniques or tendencies that I am on the watch for now include the last 10 second center of the Octagon slug down now popularized by the Holloway-Gaethge fight. I have already noticed several fighters since then try to replicate the moment. I am also looking to see how many, if any, fighters try to emulate Strickland's style with the constant teep kicks etc. I thought I noticed one fighter last weekend using the technique quite a bit, but I was not familiar enough with the fighter to know if it had always been part of his style, or now something new. I suspect that there are now many UFC fighters training themselves to replicate the standing leg lock move that Taira just used against Perez, where he locks the extended leg behind his standing opponents leg to enable the backward leaning leverage to take their opponent down. Any other relatively new or unique moves that you expect to see fighters attempt from here on out?

No Strickland didn't invent teep kicks. Knutson is a K1 level kickboxer

I think compared to something like the Pride era, there's not as much on the ground these days. Back when a good chunk of fighters were almost helpless on the ground this was a good strategy but now everyone has a black belt in BJJ so there's no point

Jumping for "Guillys" seems to be all the rage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
domtaronger
Back